Rental Car + Key West = ?

Luluwa

you can walk to almost all of the sights you would want to see - I would suggest a bike or electric car

you can also take the train/trolley and I believe you can get on and off that through the day as it makes its rounds around the island

I've only done Key West as a land vacation. So, this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't rent a car in Key West. Parking can be a real pain and it's mostly street parking. The island is only 2mi x 4mi and most of what you want to see is within walking distance (depending on your definition) of the ship. Other transportation options: The Conch Trolley which you can hop on and off and makes stops by most of the big attractions, (as opposed to the Conch Train which just takes you around with no stops). Or look into renting an electric cart. There are plenty of places to do it and you don't have to worry about gassing it up afterwards, plus they are smaller and easier to park.

Happy Cruising,

Laura

I've only done Key West as a land vacation. So, this is just my opinion, but I wouldn't rent a car in Key West. Parking can be a real pain and it's mostly street parking. The island is only 2mi x 4mi and most of what you want to see is within walking distance (depending on your definition) of the ship. Other transportation options: The Conch Trolley which you can hop on and off and makes stops by most of the big attractions, (as opposed to the Conch Train which just takes you around with no stops). Or look into renting an electric cart. There are plenty of places to do it and you don't have to worry about gassing it up afterwards, plus they are smaller and easier to park.

Happy Cruising,

Laura

Absolutely correct...we also did a week's vacation in KW..drove down from Miami and left the car at the hotel..we took a taxi or we walked. It was just toooo darn hard to find a parking spot and you can take the trolley and hop on and off...much much easier...

Lulu,

We live in S. Florida and go to Key West 2-3 times a year. Everyone is right about the parking---or, lack of it. It's so bad there that many of the small hotels only have parking for 8-10 spaces! Across the street and you pay for it! There's the trolley, bike rentals, scooter rentals----BE Very Careful if you rent one. The parking spots for scooters are vague--people get tickets all the time. And, finally, lots of fun---rent a pedi-cab---a guy on a bike with a seat for 2 on the back. Lots of fun!

The last time we went, we took the Key West Express--got there in 3 hrs on a really fun, fast boat---but we did this so we did NOT have to have a car there!

I'm thinking about renting a car for the day while in Key West. :rolleyes:

Who's done that?

How'd you do it?

Where'd you drive to for sights etc?

All help appreciated. :o

Drive east just before the 7-mile bridge you will come to Bahia Honda state park very nice for snorkelling or beach. Continue east and you will come to the last remaining railroad trestle in the keys at Bahia honda channel(had run ins with a very large hammerhead under it he even has a name and can swallow a whole tarpon)continue across the 7-mile bridge look to the south and you will see an iron lighthouse built in the late 18oo's it sits on Sombrero reef 6 miles offshore.On the other side of the bridge there is a trolley that will take you onto Pigeon key(you saw it as you were nearly across the bridge ) a research center now and a work center during building of the railroad track.Going back toward Key West soon after you come onto Cudjoe key you will see Blimp road take it to the end where a seldom used boat ramp ends at Kemp Channel the blimps were not there on my last trip but if one is they are huge blimps with cameras and radar for drug intervention. If you just want to party stay in Key West.

Having lived in Key West on and off for several years, my 2 cents worth. Unless you are going to travel north from Key West you will not need a car. You can walk or take public transportion everywhere. You can also rent bikes for a little adventure. Just watch out for the tourist walking and driving.

Thank you everyone for such valuable and useable information.

We shall walk or take the Conch Train and hop on and off.

I feel better already with a plan!:)

If you are planning to hop on/off you need to take the TROLLEY not the train!

I'm thinking about renting a car for the day while in Key West. :rolleyes:

Who's done that?

How'd you do it?

Where'd you drive to for sights etc?

All help appreciated. :o

Last time I was in Key West, I was actually meeting some friends who were cruising aboard the Carnival Destiny (I was there and I met them at the pier). I rented a car at the Key West airport (got it through Priceline, $19 plus tax). Driving around Key West is VERY easy, but most of what you can see in Key West is within walking distance from the pier. I picked my friends up, drove to the Southernmost Point, did a loop around the island, and parked the car near Duval St. The rest of the time we walked around the area near the port area.

Even though driving around Key West was easy and fun, I think it was a waste of my money. As I mentioned, most of the sightseeing spots are easy to reach by foot.

Do you know what you cruise dates are this March? We are going on the Conquest 3/29. I can't wait. This new itinerary is going to be great.

We're on the Conquest 3-29 and I too believe the itinerary is nice. The ship goes into drydock this weekend and will come out newer and prettier. :p

Archived