Dancing on the Oceania

burm

Is there dancing every night on the Regatta? I don't carry about shows as long as we can dance.

Also, what can we expect the average age of passengers to be on this 12 day cruise? Similar to Princess with a fair mix but most being 50's or 60's?

Also, what can we expect the average age of passengers to be on this 12 day cruise? Similar to Princess with a fair mix but most being 50's or 60's?

The ones we have been on they range from 50's to late 70's on average but some younger & some older

Mature, well traveled passengers

We have been on Regatta & Nautica 4 times. On each cruise there was 30 minutes dancing scheduled most evenings in the main showroom prior to the show. This takes place with an excellent 8 piece orchestra that for the most part plays pretty good tempo for ballroom & Latin dancing. The dance floor is big compared to most of the bigger ships of today ( Cunard & Costa excepted). After the show the orchestra or part thereof will move to Horizons on deck 10. Dancing in this area will last much longer & also take place sometimes early in the evening. Unfortunately the Horizons dance floor is postage size & impossible for dancers to preform Smooth ballroom dances, Latin & Swing is possible if no more than 3 or 4 couples are on the floor. On our upcoming back to back cruises on Nautica Jan 22 we will beg & plead with the cruise director to schedule a little more dance time in the main showroom, it is a shame they don't make better use of the great band & dance floor.

Overall dancing on Oceania is much better than most of the popular larger ships of today, I think you will enjoy..

Overall dancing on Oceania is much better than most of the popular larger ships of today, I think you will enjoy..

With the excellent band Oceania is supposed to have, it truly is a shame that they don't have a decent sized dance floor, well at least for more than half an hour a night.

And with the excellent food they provide we will definitely need to dance off those calories every night.

With the excellent band Oceania is supposed to have, it truly is a shame that they don't have a decent sized dance floor, well at least for more than half an hour a night.

And with the excellent food they provide we will definitely need to dance off those calories every night.

It is a small ship & the dance floor is fine for those that DO dance before the show.

They also have been known to have some dancing in Horizons after the show

They only have 1 dance band so it is a long night for them when they are there during the shows as well

While I am not a dancer myself, my last two cruises were with friends who are. They were disappointed in the lack of dancing on the Regatta on our two transatlantic cruises (and remember these were cruises with very few port days to tire folks out.) On the second cruise there was a tea dance that was well attended and many danced (although some, I suspect were put off by a couple who wanted to show off their ballroom technique) but it was a one time thing. Personally I never noticed a great deal of dancing and the dance floor in the Horizon lounge is very small

Rex Walters

the dance floor in the Horizon lounge is very small

Rex-

I don't know why people say that. On Hal ships (our cruise line of preference pre-Oceania), the size of the dance floors in the Ocean Bars (the pre dinner watering hole of choice) is very similar to the size of the floor in Horizons on Oceania.

Regardless of ship or sailing, the Hal Dance floors are positively PACKED through the entire cocktail hour, yet no one complains about the size of the floor being too small.

On Oceania, there is, sometimes, not a single couple on the floor, yet the band solders on for the requisite half hour.

If you want to see more dancing, get out there and Dance.

Dancing is like any other activity. If it is well patronized, they will extend and expand it (look at how Trivia has grown).

This made me smile - are we saying that those under 50 are immature ;) ?

Don't you just hate it when those kids in their 40's run around the ship misbehaving. Where are the parents, I ask you? (The answer would be "on HAL")

This made me smile - are we saying that those under 50 are immature ;) ?

I am saying MOST (not all) O passengers are not like on some mass market lines where even though they are over 60 do not act like it.;)

There is always the exception

Rex-

don't know why people say that. On Hal ships (our cruise line of prefI erence pre-Oceania), the size of the dance floors in the Ocean Bars (the pre dinner watering hole of choice) is very similar to the size of the floor in Horizons on Oceania.

Regardless of ship or sailing, the Hal Dance floors are positively PACKED through the entire cocktail hour, yet no one complains about the size of the floor being too small.

On Oceania, there is, sometimes, not a single couple on the floor, yet the band solders on for the requisite half hour.

If you want to see more dancing, get out there and Dance.

Dancing is like any other activity. If it is well patronized, they will extend and expand it (look at how Trivia has grown).

It is true that the Horizons floor is similar in size to many of the floors on HAL ships. It is also true that on HAL these floors are packed, if someone faints they will not have room to fall to the floor. Dancers who have taken a few lessons find it impossible to do some waltz, foxtrot, tango or quickstep in the Ocean Bars of HAL even if only 2 couples are out there. Dancers do complain all the time about these tiny dance floors, we have over 200 days with HAL but now do not consider them mainly because of the lack of dance space. Dancing is obviously important to the original poster, they will enjoy their dance time on Oceania, if Oceania followed my recommendation by scheduling more dance time in the showroom & less in Horizons they would enjoy more, that is the point.

Is there dancing every night on the Regatta? I don't carry about shows as long as we can dance.

We are ballroom dancers (not pros - just well taught and doing it for fun)and find the options just fine on all 3 ships. Depending on the Cruise Director's scheduling (and the particular evening's entertainment schedule), you will have some dancing before and after Dinner in the Lounge (Insignia, Nautica, Regatta) or the Horizon (the Room with a View). The floors are sufficiently large, music ranges from ballroom to disco, and the bands are normally good. We have taken 15 "O" cruises, and have 6 more booked...so we really like the line. The crowd runs from the mid 20s and up, and you will find the median age to be in the 40s to 60s. And, there have been some amazing and spry one well into their 80s and 90s!!

If you spend time comparing to other ship lines, you may be dissapointed because frankly the best dance floor is on the QM2. However, the QM2 does not hold a candle to the service and graciousness found on any of the "O" ships. So come along and try "O" and see for yourself!!

We are ballroom dancers (not pros - just well taught and doing it for fun)and find the options just fine on all 3 ships. Depending on the Cruise Director's scheduling (and the particular evening's entertainment schedule), you will have some dancing before and after Dinner in the Lounge (Insignia, Nautica, Regatta) or the Horizon (the Room with a View). The floors are sufficiently large, music ranges from ballroom to disco, and the bands are normally good. We have taken 15 "O" cruises, and have 6 more booked...so we really like the line. The crowd runs from the mid 20s and up, and you will find the median age to be in the 40s to 60s. And, there have been some amazing and spry one well into their 80s and 90s!!

I am glad to hear that other ballroom dancers find the floor adequate. Many thanks.

I am sure I will love the Regatta.

Archived