Regular passport vs Passport card

swom

My SIL is cruising with us in April and need to get their passport. They said they can get what is called a passport card for only $45.00, good for 10 years and good for travel in Canada, Bahamas, Mexico, Caribbean and Bermuda.

The cruise we are taking should cover where we are going, but it's not good for international travel. Since they aren't planning any international travel, do you think they should go for the card instead of the regular passport? Anybody using this "card" instead of a regular passport and if so have you had any problems with it?

Thanks in advance!

The card works well for its intended purpose, which is primarily for crossing borders to Mexico and Canada. It will not work for flying back from anywhere, so it's limited in usefullness for cruises. A certified BC and a DL will get your SIL on the cruise just as easily as the passport card and generally most folks already have those.

My opinion, if your SIL is going to purchase anything, get the full passport. If she is looking to save money, then don't bother with the passcard, just use the BC and DL.

Are you saying that visiting Canada, The Bahamas, Mexico, Caribbean or Bermuda is not international travel?

This new card should work okay, but since it is so new, I personally wouldn't chance it. How do you now that some immigration official in Mexico, Aruba or St Lucia is going to be up speed on the new card?

Lew

Just because someone isn't planning at this time to travel to countries which require a passport doesn't mean they won't decide to do so in the next 10 yeard. 10 years is a long time, and passport requirements change all the time. Countries which don't require passports now may do so in the future. People who start traveling tend to continue to do so, and ever more exotically.

Get the passport. Don't bother with the passport card - they're likely to need the full deal anyway at some time in the next 10 years.

I agree with getting the full passport. Rules change all the time in regards to passports and alot of countries are getting very strict on having them. You don't want to chance not being able to enter a island nation because they don't accept the card.

The following quote is directly form the U.S. Department of State.

As you will read, if ANY international airline travel is a part of the trip then they will need a regular passport. The Caribbean (except for the U.S Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico) will be consider international travel. Best advice........get a regular passport.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

"The wallet-size passport card is convenient and less expensive than the passport book. However, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel. This new travel document can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry."

"The wallet-size passport card is convenient and less expensive than the passport book. However, the U.S. Passport Card cannot be used for international air travel. This new travel document can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry."

Isn't that the same thing the OP said??

The card works well for its intended purpose, which is primarily for crossing borders to Mexico and Canada. It will not work for flying back from anywhere, so it's limited in usefullness for cruises. A certified BC and a DL will get your SIL on the cruise just as easily as the passport card and generally most folks already have those.

My opinion, if your SIL is going to purchase anything, get the full passport. If she is looking to save money, then don't bother with the passcard, just use the BC and DL.

Well this confuses me. I thought you HAD to have a passport or the card now that I know about it, to travel in the caribbean, mexico, canada etc.

Are you saying you don't need that, just a BC and DL? I thought this was law now. Please explain.

And the web site also says:

"Why can’t I use the passport card to fly to Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, or Bermuda?

The passport card is designed for the specific needs of the northern and southern border resident communities and is not a globally interoperable travel document as is the traditional passport book. While the passport card has limited use, the passport book will remain the premier internationally accepted travel document."

It also means if you have an emergency on a cruise and need to fly back from those areas, you will have diffculty without a regular passport.

Well this confuses me. I thought you HAD to have a passport or the card now that I know about it, to travel in the caribbean, mexico, canada etc.

Are you saying you don't need that, just a BC and DL? I thought this was law now. Please explain.

Passports will be required for cruise ship passengers that are not flying internationally beginning in June from what I've read on the gov website. They're not currently required.

The OP was asking about a cruise in April. For April on most itineraries in the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera, a BC and picture ID is still acceptable. Starting June 1, 2009, a Passport or Passport Card will be required.

The passport card was designed for crossing the northern or southern border of the US by land (car, bus, truck, etc). It is to be used by frequent travelers that do business across the border. Although it will work for sea transit to the Caribbean, it is not a good idea. You cannot board an airline with a passport card for international travel. You must have a passport.

So what happens to the passport card holder who suddenly finds themselves needing to board an aircraft. This could be due to family emergency at home, medical emergency, missed the ship, etc. You will have to go to the nearest US Embassy/Consulate and get a temporary passport. Remember we are talking about the US Government and bureaucrats. They are only open during normal business hours and closed on US Federal and local government holidays. They do not move fast and are usually busy. Think here about your experiences with getting a new DL or other government business. The cost of getting to them and waiting for the temporary passport will be your responsibility.

The passport not card is valid for 10 years for an adult and is recognized by every nation on this earth. As Karl Malden said "Don't leave home without it".

Well this confuses me. I thought you HAD to have a passport or the card now that I know about it, to travel in the caribbean, mexico, canada etc.Are you saying you don't need that, just a BC and DL? I thought this was law now. Please explain.
Yep, See below :)

Passports will be required for cruise ship passengers that are not flying internationally beginning in June from what I've read on the gov website. They're not currently required.
Nor do they require it for most cruises AFTER June 1, 2009

The OP was asking about a cruise in April. For April on most itineraries in the Caribbean or Mexican Riviera, a BC and picture ID is still acceptable. Starting June 1, 2009, a Passport or Passport Card will be required.
Common misunderstanding, particularly since that was the orginal proposal. BUT....the WHTI was finalized and published in April 2008 with some changes from the original. The final rules have an exception for RT cruise passengers, US citizens will be able to continue to travel on these cruises with just a BC and DL. Flying, you need a passport now. Driving across a border or taking a private boat or ferry after June 1, you will need a passport or passcard (or other WHTI document). Cruise ship, you can continue to use just the BC and DL. ;)

Please see:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders#3

Cruise Passengers. U.S. and Canadian citizens arriving on cruises from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of identity and citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. View complete list of acceptable documents at CBP.gov.

Additional information here:

www.getyouhome.gov

I agree with what many of the other folks have said.....get the full passport. You might be able to squeak by with a card, or with a birth certificate and license, but if something were to happen on your trip, getting flown back into the states would be very difficult. Aside from that, there might be certain itineraries that you wouldn't be able to take if you just had a passport card.

It's really worth spending the money now and not having to deal with it again for 10 years.

I have both. On our recent caribbean cruise I kept the regular passport in the safe and carried the card with my one CC and cash (close to my body) while going ashore. I used the card at the airports, traveling to & from CA, with no problem. The only time I had a problem was at the ship check-in in Fort Lauderdale...the agent was really stumped so I pulled out my regular passport for her.

No the card is not good for International air travel but DH and I will feel more comfortable having the passport card with us when we are in foreign ports (leaving our regular one in the safe on the ship).

Archived