Abbreviations

tuff2

I could make posts here by typing everything in Latin. Using the logic of so many people here, that would be no problem at all since people could simply ask for a translation if they don't understand it.

Sure you could post in Latin and according to the community guidelines you would have to translate it in the same post to English, as that´s the board language;)

Posts in Foreign Languages

Our forums are accessible from around the world. We welcome the participation of everyone. All we ask is that if you POST in your native language, that you simulaneously post your questions/comments in English -- in the same post. These are moderated message boards, and each and every posting is read by a volunteer moderator. They must be able to understand your posting to allow it to remain. Additionally, you will receive a far greater response to your question if you consider that the majority of our cruise community do only converse in English. Thank you for your cooperation.

I've come to the sad conclusion that the elitism aspect of posters is what fosters the use of the abbreviations. Many folks here like to feel like they belong to this "special club," and they want newcomers to feel like they're a few rungs lower on the social ladder. "Either learn the language, or you can't be in our club." Lovely.

I have never thought of this website as being full of elitist posters. I certainly do not think I belong to a special club nor do I want, or believe, that newcomers feel a few rungs lower on the social ladder when they come across OP or MDR. I still come across one I do not understand so I either look it up, which takes seconds, or I decide that it is not important enough and I blow right by it.

Seems to me you are reading way more into this but that is your opinion so I will respect it. As for me I am off to learn more about cruising and I will gladly read through a few abbreviations to do so. I truly appreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site and would not give it up over a something so easily learned.

Now you bring up a good point. Would some who is (truly) uneducated know it? I mean you would have to know that there is a lot you don't know in order to know you are uneducated. Now how would you know that there is a lot you don't know if you were uneducated? Seems to me, you would have to be educated to know that you are uneducated, and as soon as you were educated, you would no longer be uneducated. Therefore, it would seem to me that knowing you are uneducated is an oxymoron.

Lazy on the other hand is something you could understand about yourself. As you pointed out, you learned something new. Thus you were educated, and thus no longer uneducated.

This post is just so hilarious! It really cracked me up! (I mean ROFLMAO!!:D)

Ah... that must be it! Thanks for the excellent, well-reasoned response. I'm glad that I now understand this. Even though I'm not a native Pittsburgher, I am glad to understand my problem.

Never said that was your problem, I said that was my first thought, you volunteered the rest, however since you understand your problem now, you should be able to fix it.

Personally, I prefer the HAM radio abbreviation for this one, XYL, anyone, anyone??

My personal favorite after 20 years of Naval service, FTN. :eek:

Yep, full time nuke. ROTFLMAO

Well, my father was a very active OM (a DXCC member) and heavily involved with ARRL activities, and my mother is what was a then-termed YL (now XYL). I am neither. Shoot, is there even one for "the daughter of an OM and XYL"?

Seems to me that every "field" has its own language, abbreviations, and slang. Language is constantly evolving. To expect it to remain static is unreasonable. I wonder how many of us could understand Old or Middle English? When I first joined CC, I was a complete novice at both net and cruise lingo. I also realized that it wasn't exactly rocket science to learn the terminology. It has nothing to do with being "elite" in any way. I've always figured that if I want to communicate in an field that's new to me, I should be willing to learn the "language." I will admit that some of the texting abbreviations annoy me. They're great (or is that gr8) for texting, but not for actual sentence construction. My only concern there is that today's students aren't learning that there are differences between texting slang/abbreviations and standard writing. Just as there's a place for shorts and tanks tops and a place for tuxes and gowns, there's a place for text-speak and a place for traditional construction.

Anyway, I'm guessing that the OP isn't likely to DX on a rig any time soon, QSL.

beachchick:p

• 2 years later...

Yes I'm a thread digger, but how hard is it to spell out my wife or my daughter or my husband? I don't mind acronyms and abbreviations, but the DHs and the DWs just sounds really cheesy to me. Don't mind me though, it's just a personal opinion.

Yes I'm a thread digger, but how hard is it to spell out my wife or my daughter or my husband? I don't mind acronyms and abbreviations, but the DHs and the DWs just sounds really cheesy to me. Don't mind me though, it's just a personal opinion.

OK. I mean okay!

This is nothing compared to the DisBoards; you need an advanced degree to navigate those forums.

I agree. I still have to look up abbreviations there.

I think it's an attitude though. So many posters here say, "I posted this 1 hour ago, or 3 hours ago, or yesterday, and no one has answered me yet." So? Look for the answer yourself. I usually do provide directions but I don't understand the amount of helplessness online.

Why are your past cruises abbreviated? :confused: :rolleyes:
He may have abbreviated them, but at least he did it wrong.

He lists RCL cruises. The Cruise Line is Royal Caribbean International [RCI] not RCL (which is the stock symbol for Royal Caribbean Cruises Limited [RCCL] the parent corporation for RCI and a number of other cruise lines).

Thom

TIA = Thanks in Advance

Thanks for this! On my Africa message board TIA=This is Africa. It's used when things go wrong or not as planned...but you have to just accept it b/c after all, TIA. :D

I sooooo agree!! I don't mind abbreviations, but the DH, DW, DS, and DD just grate on my nerves. I participate on a scuba message board, a photography message board, TripAdvisor, and Fodors. CC is the ONLY message board where I see this used regularly and I find it very annoying.

I think most of the abbreviations are just short hand for what you would say in real life when speaking to someone. Would these people really say "my dear husband" or "my darling daughter" when speaking to friends or coworkers? I highly doubt it, and I've never heard anyone say this in real life. If I did hear it, I'd probably roll my eyes and/or laugh about how corny it sounds.

Why do so many posters abbreviate words in the post? I think it could be for a couple of reasons. #1 they are just too lazy to spell the words and # 2 are too uneducated to know how to spell correctly. This is becoming an annoying and stupid trend. Some of us are at a loss to understand what you are talking about.:mad:

OMG........I didn't even see that the OP posted this in 2009!!:o

Maybe they are in to text messaging now and understand the abbreviations.:D

abbreviations are cool, it's the DWs and the DHs and the DDs that make me cringe, but that's just me though. :D

Me too! Never have understood it. I don't normally refer to my husband (when speaking about him) as 'my dear husband', or my son as 'my dear son', so why would I when referencing either of them online? Strange.

Ever stranger, I find that I do it anyway.....

Rachel

Or, if all else fails, one can simply use the list provided on Cruise Critic

Commonly Used Acronyms on Cruise Critic - Cruise Critic Message Boards

There were probably also those who complained about the use of acronyms such as USA, UK, NY, TX, NBC, CBS, ABC, FBI, TSA, NBA, NFL, MD, RN, ER, CPR, POW, DJ, ATM, ID, TV, RV, CEO, IQ, OJ, VIP, GPS, DVR and hundreds of others that have become common usage.

Yes I'm a thread digger, but how hard is it to spell out my wife or my daughter or my husband?

Well, first you have to provide your wife's, daughter's and husband's names, then we can tell you how hard it is to spell their names out.

I found a good internet slang dictionary.

http://www.internetslang.com/

Diana

OMG! They barely have any of the cruise terms used here on CC! And if I did find some of the letters used here, it would mean something else on their website! :(

Another problem is that a lot of the terms listed in that site are nasty! :eek:

Archived