Abbreviations

tuff2

Three more from my biker forum, probably the only ones I could post here.

BFD= burger fries and drink

DILLIGAF - do I look like I give a flip

KISS- Keep It Simple Stupid

Thank you for this one - I had no idea it meant that! There's someone who posts using that name on another board, and I just thought it was an unusual name!

To the poster who thinks he is stating the truth when he says the use of abbreviations is an effort to be elitist - that may be your truth, but it's not mine. I'm a very fast touch typist but I regularly use "MTD", "DH" and "DD". Obviously I wouldn't use "MTD" in everyday conversation, but that's only because my friends and family aren't cruisers so they wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. I use "DH" and "DD" regularly.

It's not limited to Cruise Critic, either - we often refer to "PDD classes" on a ballet board (Pas de Deux, if anyone's curious).

There are no elitist intentions; it's quicker and has become the norm. I've even started to refer to "elevators" instead of "lifts" on here, just because that's how most of my fellow CCers refer to them.

Join in or jump ship, but there's nothing elitist about it, and I resent the implication. I'm always happy to explain myself if people ask nicely! :)

Well, first you have to provide your wife's, daughter's and husband's names, then we can tell you how hard it is to spell their names out.

He/She never said anything about their names. He said how hard would it be to type out "my wife" "my daughter" "my husband". No mention of names...

Obviously I wouldn't use "MTD" in everyday conversation, but that's only because my friends and family aren't cruisers so they wouldn't have a clue what I was talking about. I use "DH" and "DD" regularly.

You use DH and DD on other forums or in real life? Like you would say to a friend, "My DD got an A on her last test"? And you would say to coworkers, "My Dear/Darling Husband and I are going out to dinner tonight"?

You use DH and DD on other forums or in real life? Like you would say to a friend, "My DD got an A on her last test"? And you would say to coworkers, "My Dear/Darling Husband and I are going out to dinner tonight"?

I use DD and DH in other forums. But in real life I speak with my mouth, I don't type. DD and DH have become acceptable - and the norm - in all the forums I frequent (that sounds like a lot; in fact it's only 3 or 4). Plus when I'm speaking, I mostly refer to my DH and DD by name; something I wouldn't do on the internet.

I find "txt spk" a lot more irritating than a properly typed conversation with a few "DH" and "DD"s thrown in.

I use DD and DH in other forums. But in real life I speak with my mouth, I don't type. DD and DH have become acceptable - and the norm - in all the forums I frequent (that sounds like a lot; in fact it's only 3 or 4). Plus when I'm speaking, I mostly refer to my DH and DD by name; something I wouldn't do on the internet.

I find "txt spk" a lot more irritating than a properly typed conversation with a few "DH" and "DD"s thrown in.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant in my post abut how I don't understand DD, DH, DW etc. I find that most people use abbreviations for things they would really say. CL, people really say Concierge Lounge; MTD, people really say My Time Dining, IMO, people really say in my opinion, B2B, people really say Back to Back.

I don't understand DD, DH, DW because NO ONE that I know would ever say Dear Daughter or Darling Husband, etc in real life (speaking). Therefore, I don't understand the use of it here. It isn't in any of the other forums I frequent. I just find it kind of corny.

I'm not saying people "shouldn't" use it...just that I find it really odd. I thought I was the only one, so it's kind of cool to see that there are a few of us out there that find it annoying.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant in my post abut how I don't understand DD, DH, DW etc. I find that most people use abbreviations for things they would really say. CL, people really say Concierge Lounge; MTD, people really say My Time Dining, IMO, people really say in my opinion, B2B, people really say Back to Back.

I don't understand DD, DH, DW because NO ONE that I know would ever say Dear Daughter or Darling Husband, etc in real life (speaking). Therefore, I don't understand the use of it here. It isn't in any of the other forums I frequent. I just find it kind of corny.

I'm not saying people "shouldn't" use it...just that I find it really odd. I thought I was the only one, so it's kind of cool to see that there are a few of us out there that find it annoying.

It's just one of those things; it's quicker to type "DH" than "my husband". My point is that the internet *isn't* the same as speaking face to face (I nearly typed F2F there but refrained ;)) so people should expect different customs on an internet forum than they do in personal conversation.

I must say it doesn't bother me, but then not much does. :)

In that case, why not just use MW for my wife, instead of DW?

If my wife calls me darling husband, even in person, I'd cringe, I'd like woman *****?? haha Again, just a pet peeve of mine, no big deal.

Because "MW" isn't a recognised internet abbreviation, "DW" is......

If I typed "MD" instead of "DD" people would think I was talking about a Doctor!

He/She never said anything about their names. He said how hard would it be to type out "my wife" "my daughter" "my husband". No mention of names...

Like I said, without their names I don't know how hard it is to type out.

Like I said, without their names I don't know how hard it is to type out.

LOL, are we having a "who's on first" discussion here.

He never said he wanted to type out their names. He was asking how hard is it to type out the PHRASE "my wife" or the PHRASE "my son"

i.e. type out the letters: -m y w i f e- or the letters -m y h u s b a n d-. How hard was that? That is all he meant.

We are not talking about how hard it would for him to type out the name of his wife or child. If you are still concerned about names then I don't know how to make it any more clear for you.

LOL, are we having a "who's on first" discussion here.

He never said he wanted to type out their names. He was asking how hard is it to type out the PHRASE "my wife" or the PHRASE "my son"

i.e. type out the letters: -m y w i f e- or the letters -m y h u s b a n d-. How hard was that? That is all he meant.

We are not talking about how hard it would for him to type out the name of his wife or child. If you are still concerned about names then I don't know how to make it any more clear for you.

I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) that Cuizer2 knew exactly what was meant and is having a little joke.....:) ;)

holy cow. I didn't even notice that it was spelled crusin instead of cruisin. With as much time as I am at the family boards, you'd think I would have caught that. yikes.

Your eyes can trick you into seeing what you think it says.

Try reading this:

AOCDRNDICG TO RSCHEEARCH AT CMABRIGDE UINERVTISY, IT DSENO'T MTAETR WAHT OERDR THE LTTERES IN A WROD ARE, THE OLNY IPROAMTNT TIHNG IS TAHT THE FRSIT AND LSAT LTTEER BE IN THE RGHIT PCLAE. TIHS IS BCUSEAE THE HUAMN MNID DEOS NOT RAED ERVEY LTETER BY ISTLEF, BUT THE WROD A WLOHE.

Diana

I'm not a big user of text slang, but my cell is so old that it's easier to speak than text & that's just me! In response to those who say that people don't actually speak in these acronyms....I know people who actually utter "***** and BFF" instead of the words. The one I haven't been able to google is "BF"-in the context " My kid threw 3 BF's today" Would anyone like to enlighten me? Thanks!

I know people who actually utter "***** and BFF" instead of the words.

I am guilty on the ***** one--do I know you? :)

As to BFF, I don't know ANYONE who actually uses the words instead of the acronym.

Rachel

I've even started to refer to "elevators" instead of "lifts" on here, just because that's how most of my fellow CCers refer to them.

! :)

Ha ha ha! No offense but i remember talking with you on another thread regarding something to do with our wheelchairs and when you kept saying that people would rush ahead of you on the Freedom and get on the "lift" I honestly had no idea what you were talking about! :o:p

Much like all the acronyms used here though, I quickly figured it out though. :)

Ha ha ha! No offense but i remember talking with you on another thread regarding something to do with our wheelchairs and when you kept saying that people would rush ahead of you on the Freedom and get on the "lift" I honestly had no idea what you were talking about! :o:p

Much like all the acronyms used here though, I quickly figured it out though. :)

ha ha! It's a fair cop! :o :D

Nowadays I refer to them as elevators - on CC, anyway! I even caught myself typing "stroller" the other day, instead of "pushchair"!

Archived