Rough Seas to Bermuda??

ieatchickens

How rough are the seas going to Bermuda?

I ask this because we are planning a cruise to either Bermuda or the Caribbean. I had my mind set on Bermuda but my TA said if anyone in our party gets motion sickness that I should consider the Caribbean cruise instead.

My DW actually got sick one day on an inside passage Alaskan cruise so motion sickness is a concern. The seas were only slightly rough one day on this cruise. We did have her on ginger, Bonine, the watch and the patch so we have tried everything.

TIA

Everyone has their own tolerance for rough seas and everyone has a different perception of them. What we thought wasn't much, other people swore there were 30 ft. waves.:p

We've experienced different levels of roughness but usually only the first night out. If there is any kind of storm brewing, you can have rough seas anywhere, including the Caribbean.

More often than not, out of 8 times, we've had smooth sailing.:)

Only you can decide if you want to risk the possibility of some roughness. If you do decide, book a cabin low and midship where you feel the least amount of movement.

Last May I went to Bermuda on the NCL Dawn and on the way down I couldn't get out of my room, 42 foot waves, the ship was a rockin'... the water was incredible. Yet on the way back wasn't as bad. I think its a hit or miss, they said we hit a Noreaster on the water or a storm or something, the wind was incredible, our Capt NEVER left the bridge. Not trying to scare you, but its possible to hit bad water. From friends/family and people I have met in passing state that the Atlantic is a little rough . I am going to Bermuda/Eastern Carrib. in July and have never cruised down there in the summer so not sure how the water will be, yet we will find out! Good luck

My very first cruise was to Bermuda from NYC. I term it as the "Cruise from Hell".............a huge storm system followed us from NY to Bermuda. We were a day late in arriving (so much for our tee time). The first day in Bermuda the weather was rainy and miserable. Most of the excursions were canceled. That said, it was rather unsual for this type of a weather system, but it's a crap shoot. The rest of the trip was great, great seas going home and as you can see below, it didn't stop my cruising. It also depends on the time of year. I prefer cruising the Caribbean, however, looking forward to Bermuda in October on our repo cruise.

My dh and I have been to Bermuda 3 times in July. The first time my dh wore a patch, because he is soooooo motion sick. The last 2 times he didn't wear a patch or do anything else. He was fine. I can't remember exactly. I think last year on the dawn we had rough seas for a couple of hours once. He may have taken a little something. But, it couldn't have been too bad, because I can't remember. If it had been bad, believe me, I would remember!!!:D

It depends. The first time we went, the seas were flat. The second time, on our return, there was a storm coming in, so we were "rocking and rolling." But I'm a tall ship sailor, and I LOVE the waves.

If you get seasick, Bonine isn't going to help you after the fact.. you must take it BEFORE. If you tend to have a motion sickness problem, you should take it the night before your cruise.

We've always wanted to visit Bermuda, and we'll get our chance this Fall. We cruised in very rough seas in the Atlantic off the Carolinas and Florida when we were on the NCL Majesty 4 years ago. We could barely walk around the ship without always holding on to something. We'll just make the best of it, because it's worth it.:)

DavidnSteph

Our only cruise to Bemuda was on the Majesty, and going there from Bostpn in late June, the seas were very calm. On the return, we had a few hours of rough water during the night, but that ship was smaller, so that may have been a factor. I had no problem with it, but a few "rookies" in our family group of 15 were not happy.

Last January when returning from the Caribbean to NY on the Gem, we experienced the worst seas of our 7 cruises. It also occurred during our return trip, and lasted well into the afternoon/early evening. Many were sick and spent much of the time in their cabins, despite bonine and other medication. The only other rough water we have had was for short times in the middle of the South Pacific on the Star, and in the St. Lawrence in Canada on the Jewel.

We are headed back to Bermuda on the Spirit in May.

• 1 month later...

If you don't mind flying, (or driving) I would fly to florida and pick up a cruise to the carribean. It is a short hop over to the Islands, and if there was a storm in the area, the ship will cruise to the back side of an Island to avoid the waves as much as possible. The carribean sea is usually calm, unless there is a hurrican or tropical storm. Again, there are ways the ship can avoid them. I have been down there when 3 storms were going on, and didn't feel a wave. But we had to do a different Island because a hurrican was over one of the ones we were suppose to visit.

I have left out of NY to Bermuda and the Carribean. The problem is your taking a big chance. The waves are usually large anyways, plus depending where you dock in Bermuda, the ships can be small. If there is a storm brewing somewhere, even hundreds of miles away, the ship will rock. If your going to the carribean out of NY, you will be rocking for days..there is no Island the ship can sail behind to avoid the waves. If your heading to Bermuda, well, the time on the water will be shorter.

So my suggestion to you is leave out of Florida. More options in case storms pop up. If you leave out of NY, be prepared. Go to Bermuda, take a larger ship that docks at Kings Walf (I think I spelled that wrong). If the ship rocks, you will be there in a day and 1/2.

Mike

I've sailed the Caribbean in rough seas (unusual) high winds were the problem. I've sailed to/from Bermuda in smooth as glass water and I've sailed through rough seas. You can't predict the weather ahead of time to know how the seas will be.

I went last April and had REAL bad weather. The seas were rough; my poor sister was sicker than a dog. It was her first cruise as well. The wind was so bad we had to stay at sea for 16 hours just 2 miles from Bermuda. It was too rought to dock. My guess the problem was just bad weather. April may be a bad time to visit. Good luck

I agree with those who say "it depends". I've sailed to Bermuda 6-7 times ... a couple were smooth as glass, a couple were rough enough that I felt unwell (and that's an unusual occurrence), and a couple had just enough motion so that we knew we were on a ship.

Crossing the Atlantic and the Gulf Stream can be rougher than some more protected waters. But Bermuda's worth it for sure!!

• 1 year later...

We are planning a cruise to Bermuda in October 2011. I wonder how rough it might be out of Norfolk later in the year?

We are going on the Carnival Glory hoping that the bigger ship wont toss as much...

Any advice?

We are planning a cruise to Bermuda in October 2011. I wonder how rough it might be out of Norfolk later in the year?

We are going on the Carnival Glory hoping that the bigger ship wont toss as much...

Any advice?

One of the worst storms I've ever experienced to Bermuda was a cruise out of Norfolk in late October on Celebrity Horizon back in 2004. We just happened to run into a tropical storm. No one can predict the type of weather you'll experience on any itinerary at any time of year. Although the Bermuda itineraries we've sailed tend to be a bit rougher than the others. Occasional rough seas are part of the cruising experience. I have friends that actually enjoy rough seas.

We caught the tail end of a tropical storm coming back to Norfolk from the Bahamas one year on the Victory... I think it will be fine - the larger ships seem to handle the rough seas fairly well. I will just remember to pack the patches... lol

I always say the worst place to be during a storm is in your stateroom. We prefer to be out and about keeping our minds occupied rather than sitting in a small room focused on the motion. I've always felt sea sickness is more psychological than anything else.

I always say the worst place to be during a storm is in your stateroom. We prefer to be out and about keeping our minds occupied rather than sitting in a small room focused on the motion. I've always felt sea sickness is more psychological than anything else.

I would have to differ just a bit... I think the worst place is in the dinning room.... LOL We experienced that and turned green and had to leave. It was the only time we had ever been sea sick, but we were on the Maasdam in the seas were really rough and we were running late so they had the ship at full speed ahead. It was memorable...

I have learned to stay in the lower aft parts of the ship in high seas. It seems not to move as much.

Aside from that one instance of turning green we had a great time, I think a lot of it had to do with being on a smaller ship too.

The crew always suggested having a drink because then your mind wouldn't focus on the motion - so there is a lot of truth in your statement.

I heard about the 7 foot pool waves on the Horizon, we had a neighbor on the ship, if I recall that was a rather small ship...

I am thinking we will be fine on the Glory... We will see - I like an adventure.

I would have to differ just a bit... I think the worst place is in the dinning room.... LOL We experienced that and turned green and had to leave. It was the only time we had ever been sea sick, but we were on the Maasdam in the seas were really rough and we were running late so they had the ship at full speed ahead. It was memorable...

I have learned to stay in the lower aft parts of the ship in high seas. It seems not to move as much.

Aside from that one instance of turning green we had a great time, I think a lot of it had to do with being on a smaller ship too.

The crew always suggested having a drink because then your mind wouldn't focus on the motion - so there is a lot of truth in your statement.

I heard about the 7 foot pool waves on the Horizon, we had a neighbor on the ship, if I recall that was a rather small ship...

I am thinking we will be fine on the Glory... We will see - I like an adventure.

We've been in the dining room during rough seas and while it didn't affect our appetite it wasn't pleasant watching/listening to plates and glasses go crashing to the floor all night. :)

I agree about being in a stateroom being worse. Although I've not been on a big ship where we're so high off the water, on our 42' sailboat, the WORST place to be in rough seas is down below. That's guaranteed to make you ill. The best is outside watching the horizon. It's helped each one in my family to stave off the worst of the seasickness. Another great thing is to have a bag of pretzels and slowly much on those.

As for the more psychological, I'm not so sure. Even my hubby, who is a die-hard sailor gets seasick once in a blue moon. When he's steering, he's fine but once he had to go to the bow to fix the front sail and he was looking up the forestay to see what was wrong - and he got sick. It was great to see that because he loves to tease the rest of us when we get ill.

Acquiring your Sea Legs is vital before heading into a storm..

Going from NJ/NYC to the Bermuda Islands ( Somers Isles ) is wonderful.

Knowing that it is through some of the Deepest Waters on Earth is important.

I do so want Ships to show what is about..yes the real weather.. well now since the Internet was finally able to be done and making revenues from it ..you may..

I have been a few times to the Islands when a storm was near and large waves were about. I guess being on the water more than sopme helps me ..

The worst one I saw was off Sydney once where the waters were pooring through the Dining Hall MDR and elevators in that , the stern section of the ship...Glad I had brought my boots...;)

Archived