Transportation from Rome to the cruise terminal Civitavecchia

sdagenais

Hello fellow cruisers !

Am trying to get to the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia without buying a transfer from the cruise line. It's not the money , it's that I hate those buses and waiting for the bus to fill. I'd love to go by train and will be close to the train station in Rome. My question: How do I do it? I know you get take a train from the port to Rome that takes a little over an hour but does a train run from Rome to the port in that same time frame? Do you know the name or number of the train I should take. The ship leaves at 6:00 so I'd like to get there by 4:00.Any other suggestions on how to get there other than the cruise line bus out of the airport? Thanks for any help you can give.

We have done the train both ways multiple times and it works great. You can catch it from different stations as well--like San Pietro near the Vatican. It will cost about 5E. You may have to do some luggage schlepping, but everyone else does too. It's a lot of fun, way better than a cruise ship transfer.

When you get off in Civitavecchia, turn right and walk about 4 blocks to the port entrance. There will be free shuttle buses there that will take you right to your ship.

Have fun!

Cathy

Although it will be cheaper, going by train will take rather longer and will be more effort. The road transfer from Fiumicino to Civitavecchia is direct along the coast and doesn't go into Rome. Most coach transfers do it in about an hour or just over - that's from outside Arrivals at Leonardo da Vinci airport to the embarkation centre at the quayside. The train transfer is going to take 2 hours at least, once you allow for things such as waiting for the various trains to actually leave, getting from Arrivals to the station (not far, but still...), getting tickets, changing trains at Roma Termini, the walk from Civitavecchia station to the port gate, and finally the free shuttle bus ride from the port gate to the ship (you're not allowed to walk within the port area - it's working commercial/goods port).

We've done the train ride and it was fun - we did it on the way back to the airport at the end of the cruise when we were starting fresh. But at the end of a flight, possibly a transatlantic flight, the advantages of the cruise-line transfer are considerable.

Of course, if you're staying in Rome for a few nights before the cruise, or if you're flying into a different airport, then that changes things.

We are in the same situation for the 9/16 cruise out of Rome. We used Driver in Rome for a private tour of Rome a couple of years ago, and in checking their web site the price from Rome to the port is about $15 more than the cruise is charging. Didn't check what the price would be from the airport to the port but you can check the web site. I would highly recommend them. Maybe you can try the roll call and see if anyone on your cruise would be interested in sharing a van to lower the cost. www.driverinrome.com

Florence. You will need to take a taxi to the station in Livorno - the ships shuttle only goes to the town square, which doesn't help. It cost 20 euros , but you will be able to share between available 4. The ship had train timetables.

Rome. We walked to the station in Civitavecchia, about 15 minutes and an easy stroll. Again train times avaialble at guest relations on board.

Hello fellow cruisers !

Am trying to get to the cruise terminal in Civitavecchia without buying a transfer from the cruise line. It's not the money , it's that I hate those buses and waiting for the bus to fill. I'd love to go by train and will be close to the train station in Rome. My question: How do I do it? I know you get take a train from the port to Rome that takes a little over an hour but does a train run from Rome to the port in that same time frame? Do you know the name or number of the train I should take. The ship leaves at 6:00 so I'd like to get there by 4:00.Any other suggestions on how to get there other than the cruise line bus out of the airport? Thanks for any help you can give.

Take the train by all means. Easy and economical. truckerj1 gave my train site a plug but I'll mention it again - www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm .

Read the basics and read from FCO-Rome-Civitavecchia.

If your ship leaves at 18:00 you best plan on being onboard before 16:00 as you are pushing the envelope. Shoot for 14:00 at the latest so as to give yourself some time to get acquainted with your new 'home.' Have a bite to eat and relax. Before you know it, it will be time for the 'muster drill' and then sail-away.

• 2 months later...

Wow....what an incredible resource you all are. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question. I am new to using the Cruise Critic board and have discovered since posting my first question, that there is a wealth of information already posted. I see I am probably the 1 millionith person to ask the train question:o. Even so, you all were generous with your advice and further underscored my belief that fellow cruisers ROCK!!!!

Wow....what an incredible resource you all are. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to my question. I am new to using the Cruise Critic board and have discovered since posting my first question, that there is a wealth of information already posted. I see I am probably the 1 millionith person to ask the train question:o. Even so, you all were generous with your advice and further underscored my belief that fellow cruisers ROCK!!!!

Well, that was just 'Italian Transportation 101'. There are advanced topics - for example, what to do if you find that the day you want to travel is a strike day? This can happen: when we were on Galaxy in 2007, an aussie couple who were dining with us got as far as buying a couple of tickets from an automatic ticket machine at Termini station before they discovered that there were no trains.

They then quickly did the practical work for advanced subjects such as "How to handle taxi tout who has taken you almost half a mile down a back street and still hasn't shown you his taxi...."

I agree with OP that these threads are the best and the posters are very gracious in sharing their advice.

My question:

Is it just as easy to take the train from the port TO Rome for a port day and back? (We've been to Rome several times, but never via cruise ship, so we just need the transportation, as we'll wander on our own.) The ship wants $99 pp. for just their bus in and out. How long is the train ride compared with a bus ride?

Many thanks,

Mary-Lou

I agree with OP that these threads are the best and the posters are very gracious in sharing their advice.

My question:

Is it just as easy to take the train from the port TO Rome for a port day and back? (We've been to Rome several times, but never via cruise ship, so we just need the transportation, as we'll wander on our own.) The ship wants $99 pp. for just their bus in and out. How long is the train ride compared with a bus ride?

Many thanks,

Mary-Lou

Is it just as easy from the port to Rome? Yes it is. The ships transporation will probably just take you to FCO (is that where you want to go?) Take the train and you'll be enroute even before the bus leaves the ship (in all probability.) Train travel time vs bus travel time is probably about the same. Cost difference (big $$$.)

If you have no mobility problems and aren't dragging one or more of those huge suitcases, take the train!

Is it just as easy from the port to Rome? Yes it is. The ships transporation will probably just take you to FCO (is that where you want to go?) Take the train and you'll be enroute even before the bus leaves the ship (in all probability.) Train travel time vs bus travel time is probably about the same. Cost difference (big $$$.)

If you have no mobility problems and aren't dragging one or more of those huge suitcases, take the train!

Thanks so much for your quick response!

We're not going to FCO. We're in PORT at Rome for the day (7 am-8 pm) on a sailing from BCN to VEN -- so no luggage, but we were debating about the ship's bus just for transportation or the train. Is the timeframe into central Rome about the same?

BTW: LOVE your website -- and as a train buff you'll be happy to know that after living in Phoenix for 26 years, I finally got to the gorgeous Grand Canyon via the delightful Grand Canyon Railway (in a vintage dome car) as an early birthday surprise from DH Dave a few weeks ago. :D

Again, thanks for your kind advice.

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

Edited by DrFUN

Thanks so much for your quick response!

We're not going to FCO. We're in PORT at Rome for the day (7 am-8 pm) on a sailing from BCN to VEN -- so no luggage, but we were debating about the ship's bus just for transportation or the train. Is the timeframe into central Rome about the same?

BTW: LOVE your website -- and as a train buff you'll be happy to know that after living in Phoenix for 26 years, I finally got to the gorgeous Grand Canyon via the delightful Grand Canyon Railway (in a vintage dome car) as an early birthday surprise from DH Dave a few weeks ago. :D

Again, thanks for your kind advice.

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

Train time from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini is from 45 min (IC trains) to 1h 20m (regionale.) In my mind, no debate, take the train.

Was at the Grand Canyon a couple summers ago but did not get to do the train. Got out voted.

Train time from Civitavecchia to Roma Termini is from 45 min (IC trains) to 1h 20m (regionale.) In my mind, no debate, take the train.

Was at the Grand Canyon a couple summers ago but did not get to do the train. Got out voted.

The train it is, then! Thanks. (I was only worried about unannounced train strikes that some CC posters mentioned....) And you'd enjoy that train trip to the GC. Oh: How do we get the faster IC train?

Edited by DrFUN

What's the best way to get from the airport in Rome to Florence by train?

The best way, and the only way, are one in the same. Take the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini (about 30m.) From there, take a Eurostar to Firenze ( about 1h 30m.) Add wait time between trains in Termini. You can buy tickets for both trains at the station in FCO. Easy to do.

Prior to our Solstice Cruise in September, we'll be taking the train from the airport to Florence for five days.

Question is - how to best handle our luggage? We'll have one big suitcase and one small one each. Yeah, I know - we need to pack light, but it ain't gonna happen! We can handle getting the luggage on and off the train and thru the stations - but what do you do with a big suitcase once you get it on the train? is there a place to store them on the train car? This would be for the regional train as well as the ES.

We've learned about the Left Luggage at Termini - but are thinking we might be best just takingthem on to Florence. Then we can take the train from Florence to the Port without having to retrieve the bags at Termini. Is this a wise plan?

Prior to our Solstice Cruise in September, we'll be taking the train from the airport to Florence for five days.

Question is - how to best handle our luggage? We'll have one big suitcase and one small one each. Yeah, I know - we need to pack light, but it ain't gonna happen! We can handle getting the luggage on and off the train and thru the stations - but what do you do with a big suitcase once you get it on the train? is there a place to store them on the train car? This would be for the regional train as well as the ES.

We've learned about the Left Luggage at Termini - but are thinking we might be best just takingthem on to Florence. Then we can take the train from Florence to the Port without having to retrieve the bags at Termini. Is this a wise plan?

One of the problems with a very large suitaces on trains is that it will not roll down the aisles in 2cl - too wide. I would seriously consider taking two medium sized bags instead of one large one.

2cl cars have baggage storage at the end of the cars. This would be my last choice (and only then if they were locked and cabled together, and then to the train.) Seats in many cars are facing each other (like the Eurostar), thus there is space between the seats where they are back to back (don't think a large will fit, but a medium sized bag will.) Regional and IC trains may have compartments - three seats on each side facing each other. There are racks above that will hold medium sized bags without a problem.. For a large bag, just place it in the aisle outside the door and parallel to the wall - and keep an eye on it.

If I were doing what you propose, I would go to Firenze and then on to the port via Pisa. A train change in Pisa is much easier than a change in Roma. The trip is about 30-40 minutes longer that way but you will generally find the trains less crowded (particularily between Pisa and Civitavecchia.) We did the reverse of what you are planning our last two trips, and will do so again the next time.

GSPLover: Thanks for all the great train information. Our bags are actually probably medium bags, so it sounds like we chould not have a problem.

Another question - we'll want to take the ES from Termini to Florence. Seems like I read somewhere (maybe on your site) that the ES trains can run full during the day, especially during tourist season.

If we purchase tickets at the airport station for travel on the ES our of Termini the same day, would we be assured of getting a seat?

Thanks, Dave

GSPLover: Thanks for all the great train information. Our bags are actually probably medium bags, so it sounds like we chould not have a problem.

Another question - we'll want to take the ES from Termini to Florence. Seems like I read somewhere (maybe on your site) that the ES trains can run full during the day, especially during tourist season.

If we purchase tickets at the airport station for travel on the ES our of Termini the same day, would we be assured of getting a seat?

Thanks, Dave

If you can purchase a ticket, you are assured of a seat. On ES trains ALL seats are reserved. By all means, buy your ticket at FCO. You can essentially say the same for IC trains however in 2cl they may sell tickets even though all seats are sold (don't try to understand - its Italy.) On regional 2cl your ticket gives you the 'right of passage' or a 'place' on the train. It does not mean that you will get a seat.

I can't get enough of you talkin about trains in Italy. How about this...it is so much cheaper to take the train then a cab from Roma to port so could we buy an extra seat to put our luggage on??? what do you think?? Total of 3 weeks with the cruise and add on time I don't think we can pare down our luggage.