Rockly Beach / Worth a visit?

Mountain Sky

I believe you stated all buses go to Rockley Beach. ===> ALL buses? Maybe not...

I will be arriving via cruise ship.

Once I leave the cruise terminal..

do I make a right or left to catch the bus to Rockley Beach. ===> Straight ahead 1.5 miles.

How much is the bus? ===> U.S.$ 0.75 per person, per trip

Is it exact change

-or do you buy a ticket/token from a terminal? ===> Not sure: I don't use them: have my own car!

You gotta walk about 1.5 miles right across to the other side of Bridgetown

-past the 'near-to-the-Port' bus terminal(which serves the West Coast)

thru the Broad Street shopping center ..and beyond..

until you get to the (Eastern side of the City) bus terminal at Fairchild Street.

All the South Coast Road buses pass Rockley, yes.

It might be simpler and wiser

to get a cab to Accra/Rockley and bus it back to Bridgetown

(my usual suggestion for getting your day off to a quick and problem-free start)

You gotta walk about 1.5 miles right across to the other side of Bridgetown

-past the 'near-to-the-Port' bus terminal(which serves the West Coast)

thru the Broad Street shopping center ..and beyond..

until you get to the (Eastern side of the City) bus terminal at Fairchild Street.

All the South Coast Road buses pass Rockley, yes.

It might be simpler and wiser

to get a cab to Accra/Rockley and bus it back to Bridgetown

(my usual suggestion for getting your day off to a quick and problem-free start)

Thanks for the information and I believe you advice is good. I love walking but not sure I want to walk 1.5 miles to catch a bus.

Thanks for the information and I believe you advice is good.

I love walking but not sure I want to walk 1.5 miles to catch a bus.

It's not worth the hassle, honestly!

"Travelling with the natives" sounds all very well and cute -sometimes.

And it's cheap,yes. ..but.

Thanks for the info on the Rockley Golf Club in Barbados. I booked a tee time for my DH, DS & 2 SIL for our 6/09 trip. The girls can spend the morning at the beach while the guys play golf and then they can walk over or take a taxi & we can all have lunch. We've been trying to find an affordable place for them to play golf but all the other islands with rentals have been $145-$170 per person! Thanks again for all your help!

just returned from our cruise which included a stop in barbados. we went outside the terminal area gates where there were lots of cabs and asked for a price for the four of us to accra/rockley. all of them said $30 for the 4 but finally we found a driver who said he would charge $20 and then frowned at the guy next to him who was charging $30 and kind of scolded him for charging so much. when he dropped us off, he said he could also pick us up and to pay him at the end for the whole thing. he showed up at the appointed time and paid him on the return.

the beach itself was great that day. we rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for each couple for $30 total.the young man with the chairs was very helpful and polite setting us up. there were rolling waves and the water was warm. across the street is cheffette for rotis, fried chicken, and ice cream. there are kiosks with drinks and snacks for sale on the beach. we also strolled along the boardwalk, but it was getting pretty hot by the afternoon so we didn't go too far.

steve

just returned from our cruise which included a stop in barbados. we went outside the terminal area gates where there were lots of cabs and asked for a price for the four of us to accra/rockley. all of them said $30 for the 4 but finally we found a driver who said he would charge $20 and then frowned at the guy next to him who was charging $30 and kind of scolded him for charging so much. when he dropped us off, he said he could also pick us up and to pay him at the end for the whole thing. he showed up at the appointed time and paid him on the return.

the beach itself was great that day. we rented 2 chairs and an umbrella for each couple for $30 total.the young man with the chairs was very helpful and polite setting us up. there were rolling waves and the water was warm. across the street is cheffette for rotis, fried chicken, and ice cream. there are kiosks with drinks and snacks for sale on the beach. we also strolled along the boardwalk, but it was getting pretty hot by the afternoon so we didn't go too far.

steve

Was that roundtrip price or each way?

1. How far is beach from cruise terminal dock? Time of taxi travel each way?
  2. Can someone please confirm if you can rent beach chairs at Rockley/Accura?
  3. Can someone recommend a beach side restaurant at this beach?
  4. How far is the taxi stand from the becah area?

Thanks in advance

Major.

1. How far is beach from cruise terminal dock? Time of taxi travel each way?
  2. Can someone please confirm if you can rent beach chairs at Rockley/Accura?
  3. Can someone recommend a beach side restaurant at this beach?
  4. How far is the taxi stand from the becah area?

Thanks in advance

Major.

Wejust got back from Rockley Beach last week on our cruise with the Caribbean Princess.

1.) The beach is a 10-15 minute cab drive depending on traffic from the cruise dock.

2.) Yes you can rent chairs and umbrellas at the beach. I believe we paid 5.00 for the chairs.

3.) Up and down the strip ( road) in front of Rockley are a few places to eat. Chefette (sp?) is directly across the street and has alot of things reasonably priced.

4.) The taxi area at the beach is on the same side of the street as the beach. A few steps and you can get a taxi on a regular basis.

5.) added this one myself..........the beach is gorgeous as well as the new boardwalk. Nice bathrooms and changing areas as well as a nice shower area to rinse off. Very fun day.

We were at Accra last week and my wife didn't like it there at all

The waves were quite big and strong undertow.

I did like it there. I am not crazy about the flat Caribbean waters.

Like I mention time and again...depends on the day!

We just got back from Rockley Beach last week on our cruise with the Caribbean Princess.

1.) The beach is a 10-15 minute cab drive depending on traffic from the cruise dock.

2.) Yes you can rent chairs and umbrellas at the beach. I believe we paid 5.00 for the chairs.

3.) Up and down the strip in front of Rockley are a few places to eat.

Chefette is directly across the street and has a lot of things reasonably priced.

4.) The taxi area at the beach is on the same side of the street as the beach.

A few steps and you can get a taxi on a regular basis.

5.) added this one myself....the beach is gorgeous, as well as the new boardwalk.

Nice bathrooms and changing areas as well as a nice shower area to rinse off.

Very fun day.

Like I mention time and again...depends on the day!

aplmac, I took your advice, and both you and my wife were absolutely correct. Accra was the right beach for us. We were in Barbados last week and took a 20 min cab ride from the port. It cost my wife and I along with our 3 kids $20 to get there and $25 to ride back. We asked him to drop us off near the beach bar across from Cheffette. Chairs were $5 each. We didn't get an umbrella as we found some space under a tree. It was pretty crowded on the beach that Thursday. England was playing the West Indies that day, so I don't know if that increased the number of visitors in town. The beach was a lot of fun. No way did we attempt any snorkeling nor did I see anyone else trying it as the waves were just too much, but this is what made it a great day. It was a blast for me and the kids to stand in pretty shallow waist high water 30 yards out and have these huge waves crashing over us. There was a tow but not bad. And the wife was able to relax with her book and a pina colada on the lounge chair all day. We'll definately head back here the next time we're in Barbados. Thanks again.

Archived