For those of you who scrapbook your trips ... some questions

newlaxfan

Each of my vacation albums has a cover page.

My first cruise, to the caribean, is a page I pieced that looks like a sandy beach with two beach chairs (I traveled with my sister). The water is a photo paper of waves, the sand is a textured brown paper, the sky is a photo paper of sky and whispy clouds. When I found the beach chair embelishments they included drink glasses. When I look at the page I remember Margaritas on the beach in Cosumel.

My second cruise was a Mississippi River Cruise, that was scheduled and rescheduled three times. The cover page looks like a cork bullitin board and has notes, a map of the river, cards from my travel agent and a tour guide I used, etc. All three dates I had been scheduled to travel are included - along with the reason for cancelation. I wanted it to look like the board I had been collecting notes on as I planned. Also, I wanted a way to show the cancled cruises with some humor rather than negativity.

Other vacation cover pages I have created:

A stack of three vintage suitcases that had lined paper in the center of each case, between bands, that had a narative of planning the trip.

Letters to my nephew and neice for the trips I took each of them on for their 16th birthdays.

A letter to my mother inviting her on a Birthday weekend.

My cover pages never have more than one photo - and most often have none.

I try to change up my cover pages for each album and use them to create a mood for the album. I also choose my papers based on the trip, and the feel I want for the album.

(Sorry for any spelling - my spell check seems to be down)

Title pages are usualy one of my hardest decisions also. It seems once I have finaly figured that page out the rest of the album can move forward fairly easy.

After my first answer I use the excuse to look through some of my old travel albums and two other ideas came to mind.

When you have pictures developed you will usualy get index prints. One of my 12x12 title pages has a 4 inch band down the left edge trimmed from index prints. The remaining 2/3 of the page has a single photo cropped to an oval and journaling of how the trip came about. The photo is of the group at a favorite dinner on the trip.

For two weekend trips to Las Vegas - my title pages are banded by an 1 1/2 inch strip of cropped images of the Vegas strip - Hotel fronts, Neon signs, and Elvis impersonator, a giant slot machine, etc... The centers of the pages have an overview of the trip.

My brainstorming for the title page usualy centers around:

1) Does the trip have a special meaning or is it to celebrate a special ocasion?

2) Is there a single memory or moment that stand out when I think about the trip?

3) What was the planning that went into the trip?

Please let me know what you decide for your album.

Thank you for your input! Have decided to hold off a few weeks on scrapping the cruise -- want to get my other layouts done first from 2008. Once those are done, I can get going on the cruise photos! (Yes, the cruise photos are the carrot I'm dangling in front of myself to get the other ones done first!)

Thank you for your input! Have decided to hold off a few weeks on scrapping the cruise -- want to get my other layouts done first from 2008. Once those are done, I can get going on the cruise photos! (Yes, the cruise photos are the carrot I'm dangling in front of myself to get the other ones done first!)

Would love to see your pages.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually JUST finished my 2008 Disney Cruise scrapbook. My title page is our embarkation photo with our last name as the title. Here's a link with my whole album. Let me know what ya think.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=29772089#post29772089

I love your albums! You did a GREAT job and doesn't it make you feel good to have another one complete. TFS!

I used the ship placemat picture Carnival gave us in the dining room as our cover page. It works great. One of the Cruises went to two albums so I used a Carnival postcard with pictures of the ship as the cover page for the second album. I will try and get some photos to share of these pages.

Lori

This may sound silly but we name each of our cruises; the Discovery Cruise, The Hurricane Cruise, The Kareoke Cruise etc. On the title page I put a picture of the ship and the name of that cruise. Karen

Edited by mimsymarie

• 2 weeks later...

Took about 2 1/2 months to finish. Seperated out what was just the "MIRICAL",and everything else.

1st book is All Things Mirical. There 8 x 10 as front picture. Then I downloaded the deck plans and sort of made each deck as a chapter with all the photos i took throughout the ship of the different areas. Had a separate chapter just for our cabin, one for those great towel animals, midnight buffet and crew.

2nd book started with loading the car, hotel night before, terminal & embarcation (sp), then used the capers (Carnival daily pamphlets) to separate each day. I use photo's, post cards picked up in port calls, port info sheets from excursion desk or shoping talks, maps and pictures and info from those touristy booklets at each port, etc, through debarking back at terminal.

Looking at probably doing next two, and future cruises same way. 1st is just all about the ship, 2nd is sort of time line of the wonderful experience had. Wonderful memories to help get through snowy & cold New England winter awaiting next trip to Caribean & Paridise, Sun and fun, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I vary everything. I made two title pages for my first album and used allll different lines. My first album is totally complete (the sept 3, 2006 cruise, link in sig). I only scanned about 90% of the layouts for 2peas, though, but that's pretty much all of them.

Edited by AmberMarie

• 1 month later...
This may sound silly but we name each of our cruises; the Discovery Cruise, The Hurricane Cruise, The Kareoke Cruise etc. On the title page I put a picture of the ship and the name of that cruise. Karen

That is such a GREAT idea! I never thought of that.

I do a lot of digi scrapbooking and then get copies made so I can give them to my daughter and son. She has an 19 month old so little time left to scrap book any more. It actually cost less for them to print them in 12 by 12 then me to buy the paper and everything. You can then add your own touches for the 3-D effect.

• 2 months later...

Each one is different.

For Carnival Pride (2 volumes) I cut out the photo from the Carnival brochure and put it on the first page then added the cruise dates.

For Mariner of the Seas (2 volumes) I used the embarkation photos.

For Star Princess (6 volumes) I used the 8x10 photos of the ship I bought onboard.

For Diamond Princess (3 volumes estimated) I'm not entirely certain since I'm just starting it. I'm thinking of just using some pretty paper and silver stickers for the Alaska theme.

Theresa

Each one is different.

For Carnival Pride (2 volumes) I cut out the photo from the Carnival brochure and put it on the first page then added the cruise dates.

For Mariner of the Seas (2 volumes) I used the embarkation photos.

For Star Princess (6 volumes) I used the 8x10 photos of the ship I bought onboard.

For Diamond Princess (3 volumes estimated) I'm not entirely certain since I'm just starting it. I'm thinking of just using some pretty paper and silver stickers for the Alaska theme.

Theresa

Do you have any of your scrapbooks posted? Would love to see them...

Do you have any of your scrapbooks posted? Would love to see them...

Unfortunately, no. I probably should, though. Something to ponder...:)

I save our key cards and use them on the first page, along with the sailaway photo and a picture of the ship in port. I'll also use the Capers (Carnival) or Patters (Princess) as a border.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Bonnie!! LOL! Fancy meeting you here! Love your title page, by the way! Great idea! Did you create the Cruisin' die cut in the bottom right?

And thanks to all of you for your input! I ended up using some paper from Best Creations for the background paper and five key photos. Don't have a photo, sorry!

Vplsh -- I like your idea of including a key card!

• 1 year later...

So I just went to look a couple of past cruise scrapbooks- I seem to like maps and ships along with a cruise name. For the older scrapbook I had found a die cut post card of Australia and bordered it with the colors of the flag and matched to borders on the lettering. My 2010 cruise was all digital so my title page was actually the album cover (I print mine at Costco, they turn out beautifully). It has a background of an antiqued mediterranean map and our ship and has pictures of our group surrounded by suitcases- the luggage tag has the title, ship and date on it. On the inside of that album my first page is the itinerary.

• 10 months later...

sbartist - Your title page you made for your alaska cruise is great!

I'm working on my Scrapbook for my alaska cruise from this past summer. I have THREE previous years' alaska cruise scrapbooks to make up also. I will keep your title page in mind when I get going on one of the past ones. I love yours!!!