• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Hey Rose & Steve, we will be on that sailing also. 5 am to do the ferry sounds like a good idea and leave the rest of the time for Liverpool.

Towncar T: As you can see by my signature, I am a planner too :D The port for Liverpool is one of the main reasons for choosing the cruise I did :D .... I am looking at the time we are supposed to be in port -- 4am to 3pm Tuesday, August 20, 2013. (yes, a while yet :D) ... So, my question is -- I really want to do "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey"....I just want to be on it....no "need" for a tour. Can we just walk from the ship and do a round trip fairly early that morning? I would guess about 5 am? Then, we can be back and do Beatles, Titanic, historic, perhaps the Duck Tour kind of stuff....would that make sense to get the most out of our early arrival time? (Unless it changes between now and then :confused:)... thank you for your time!!

Seems like most of the post are from 2009 we will be in Liverpool Aug 20, 2013, Caribbean Princess. Any updates to your wonderful thread on Liverpool?

Thanks.

Actually the posts on the last few pages (at least back to post # 300 or so) are from 2012. Good reading and I am getting plenty of good ideas and advice from folks living there. Keep on reading...

Susan

Hello Liverpool Experts,

We'll be in Liverpool on Saturday May 18th and are looking for things to do. We're not interested in the Beatles or in museums or war related things. We do like to walk and we like beautiful, old buildings. Do you have any suggestions for things to do or walks to take? Also, we'll want to have a pub lunch of some kind. Nothing too uptight. Someplace where locals would go to get a good bite to eat. I've also seen the Mersey Ferry recommended a lot. Why? Is there anything beautiful on the other side? Is it just a nice way to see the city from the water?

Best Regards,

Hello Liverpool Experts,

We'll be in Liverpool on Saturday May 18th and are looking for things to do. We're not interested in the Beatles or in museums or war related things. We do like to walk and we like beautiful, old buildings. Do you have any suggestions for things to do or walks to take? Also, we'll want to have a pub lunch of some kind. Nothing too uptight. Someplace where locals would go to get a good bite to eat. I've also seen the Mersey Ferry recommended a lot. Why? Is there anything beautiful on the other side? Is it just a nice way to see the city from the water?

Best Regards,

Have you read the thread? Towncar T has mapped out a walk that includes some very significant buildings.

Here is an appeal from me to all the locals (and anyone else) who can help me with information to put together a "Beatles Route" on this thread for people that want to explore the history of the Fab Four on foot from their cruise ship. Specifically, I am looking for any 'hidden gems' that perhaps not everyone knows about, but they must be accessible on foot within no more than a half mile or so from the Pier Head.

I am ashamed to confess that I am not a big Beatles fan (in the sense that I do love the music but have never visited the sites or museums).

I am not talking about the outlying sites, like the houses, but just ones in the city centre. These are the ones I already know:

The Cavern and Matthew Street area

Hard Days Night Hotel

Eleanor Rigby statue in Stanley Street

Beatles Museum at Albert Dock

The Beatles story on the Pier Head

The Beatles exhibit and show at the Museum of Liverpool

I am sure that the Beatles experts on this site will know more great places and I would be grateful if people could post the details of what they are and where they are on this thread. I will then endeavour to map out a trail for people to follow when they visit, as several people have enquired about this.

Of course, if such a thing already exists elsewhere, I would be grateful for a link so that I don't re-invent the wheel! Thanks:):)

Liverpool? That's near Scotland, isn't it?;)

Seems like most of the post are from 2009 we will be in Liverpool Aug 20, 2013, Caribbean Princess. Any updates to your wonderful thread on Liverpool?

Thanks.

Most of the stuff on the thread is still valid, so maybe you might just want to get yourself a big cup of coffee and read through the thread. Then, if you have any specific questions you can post them here and we will try to help. Sorry for the delay in replying, but I was doing a bit of cruising myself!!:)

Hello Liverpool Experts,

Best Regards,

Hiya

I just returned from your part of the world, after a cruise out of Port Canaveral that we went on with friends who live in Ocoee.

The opening post of this thread gives some suggestions that you might find useful. You are actually on the same cruise as some friends of ours that I will be meeting off the ship.

There are lots of places to eat in the city centre and I don't really have a favourite pub to eat at. I think you might enjoy the Beehive on Paradise Street if you want a 'traditional' feel. Here is a link to some reviews of it, but there are other reviews if you just google it. It is a small pub, but as in virtually all Liverpool venues I'm sure you will be warmly welcomed.

http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/the-beehive-liverpool-2

Our Ocoee friends visited us a couple of years ago and they still talk of how warm the people of Liverpool were towards them. We do have a soft spot for our American cousins in this city.

Hope that helps. :)

• 2 weeks later...

For any of you that have booked on the Yellow Duckmarine tour, you may just want to check your booking after this:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-news/local-news/2013/03/30/video-pics-iconic-yellow-duckmarine-sinks-in-liverpool-s-albert-dock-100252-33090240/

I hope they get it back on the road again, as it has become a Liverpool icon in recent years.:)

I think the "return" to Liverpool being half an hour is juat when the ferry is doing the scenic "River Explorer" route, which I recommend. I have taken several friends from the USA (and will be taking more in May) on this cruise and it has always been enjoyed by us all. Here is a link to the site with information on the Winter schedule. The summer timetable/route is not shown yet but keep an eye on the site, as I guess it will change around the end of March.:)

http://www.merseyferries.co.uk/Content/Cruises/RiverExplorerCruises.aspx

Do you recommend buying ferry tickets on line before we sail or is it not necessary? We will be in Liverpool Sat., August 10 on Infinity.

Thanks..

Do you recommend buying ferry tickets on line before we sail or is it not necessary? We will be in Liverpool Sat., August 10 on Infinity.

Thanks..

I wouldn't buy them in advance for a couple of reasons.

1. The ticket office is right next to where your cruise ship docks so it's no big deal to get them on the day.

2. The weather here can be very unpredictable, so you should decide on the day whether you want to ride the ferry or not. It is usually ok, but you just never know.

I definitely recommend a ride on the ferry if you can do it. Whatever you do, have a great day in our city :)

I wouldn't buy them in advance for a couple of reasons.

1. The ticket office is right next to where your cruise ship docks so it's no big deal to get them on the day.

2. The weather here can be very unpredictable, so you should decide on the day whether you want to ride the ferry or not. It is usually ok, but you just never know.

I definitely recommend a ride on the ferry if you can do it. Whatever you do, have a great day in our city :)

Oh, we will I'm sure! Between you and Emily and all the other posts on this thread, we know what we want to see. It's been a tremendous help!

Thanks to all. Carolyn

Right

I am no Beatles expert, but some time ago somebody asked me to suggest a walking route through the city centre to concentrate on The Fab Four, so here we go. If anyone with more knowledge than me notices any mistakes or omissions then please feel free to add your opinion. All info is welcome.

I am assuming that people are fit and well and able to walk a couple of miles or so unaided. Most places do have good disabled access these days, but I can't be sure. Here we go!

First of all, here is a link to a good map of Liverpool City Centre that you can use when planning your trip. You can maybe print it out and highlight your proposed route or mark any particular things you want to see.

http://www.visitliverpool.com/dbimgs/2012_maps/Liverpool%20Map.pdf

Without doubt, the first place to head up to is the Cavern Quarter.

The way I would get there is to walk across the front of the "Three Graces", the magnificent buildings adorning the World Heritage site that is the Liverpool waterfront. Then walk up James Street, noting Albion House on the corner, which was the HQ of the White Star Line at the time of the Titanic Disaster in 1912. Imagine all of the relatives of passengers and crew thronging right there on that very corner waiting for news of their loved ones.

Go straight across the junction at the top of James Street, perhaps taking a moment to admire the Victoria monument on the right. Also stand there and imagine the scene from this very spot in 1941, as depicted in this iconic picture of Liverpool after the blitz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Liverpool_Blitz_D_5983.jpg

Go further down Lord Street and turn left into North John Street. On your right hand side you will see Matthew Street. If you turn into Matthew Street you will emerge into Beatle Heaven! I won't go into fine detail about what is there, but you will find shops and bars a plenty, entirely dedicated to The Beatles. Don't forget to keep your eyes open and look up, as there are Beatles gems all over the place. Part way down I remember there being a statue of John Lennon where people pose for photographs.

A 'must-see' is The Cavern Club. Not the original, but a faithful reproduction of the one that the Beatles played at. I know many people who performed at the original Cavern and they tell me that it is a true reproduction.

After you have had your fill in the Cavern Quarter, head down into Stanley Street and take a look at the Eleanor Rigby statue, which is dedicated to "All the lonely people." Another good photo opp.

If you are peckish by now (and as a cruiser myself, I know you will be!!) there are plenty of places to grab a snack and a drink, but keeping the Beatles theme, you might want to go back up to North John Street and grab a bite or a coffee in the Beatles-themed Hard Day's Night Hotel. Here is a link to the site where you can download their menus. I have never been there, but it is said to be full of Beatles related stuff.

http://www.harddaysnighthotel.com/lounge-bar.html

After you have finished in the Cavern Quarter area, head on back down to The Albert Dock. A good route to take is to go straight across from North John Street into the Liverpool One shopping area and walk through there, down past the Hilton Hotel and over The Strand at the pedestrian crossing.

Then go to the far left (as you look at it from across the Strand) end of the dock buildings (towards the Wheel of Liverpool) where you will find "The Beatles Story" attraction. Again, I have never been in there but I believe that it is a must for all serious Beatles fans. Here is a link to their website.There is an admission charge for this attraction.

http://www.beatlesstory.com/

I guess you could spend an hour or two here, so build that into your schedule.

The next thing you might want to see is the Beatles exhibit at the relatively new Museum of Liverpool, which is on the waterfront right on the route back to your ship. To get there, just go back down to the far end of Albert Dock back towards the Pier Head, walk down the side by the Maritime Museum and then cross over to the Pier Head. The Museum of Liverpool is the big ugly (just my opinion of course!) building, the first that you come to.

When you go in, ask at the front desk if the Beatles show is on. They run regular free film shows featuring The Beatles. If it fits with your schedule, you should definitely see it.

Finally, on your way back to the ship, you will see the Mersey Ferries terminal. Above it is an exhibition of Beatles photographs, known as "The Beatles Hidden Gallery". It is apparently free to enter according to information on this website:

http://www.the-beatles-hidden-gallery.com/

After visiting the gallery, you can stroll the couple of hundred yards back to your ship clutching your souvenirs and a headful of memories that you can take away with you from the most welcoming city in the world. (Well, we like to think so):)

On your way back, take a look at the plaque on the wall, just to the left of the gap that you pass through before getting to your ship. It is dedicated to the cooperation between the port of Liverpool and the US. It is one of my favourite things on the Pier Head and often goes unnoticed. Liverpool was the gateway to Europe for so many men and arms in two world wars. Look for this plaque:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25632502@N00/513205023/

And don't forget to take a glance at the Titanic Memorial before you board the ship. It doesn't even mention the Titanic on it, but there's a story behind that!;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_to_the_Engine_Room_Heroes_of_the_Titanic

I hope that this helps those of you that come to Liverpool hoping to see some Beatles related stuff. Like I said, I am no Beatles expert, but everyone in this city knows a bit about the 'Four Lads Who Shook The World'

There are obviously a lot more things to see and do in Liverpool, as you can see in earlier posts on this thread, but I have tried to concentrate here on purely Beatles stuff. As always, if you have any questions just post them here.

Enjoy your visit!!:)

Just a heads-up here. Whatever you are coming to Liverpool for there is a great map of the city centre that has all of the information you could possibly need to get around with ease.

In fact, the visit Liverpool website is a fantastic resource for any visitor to the city. You can find it here:

http://www.visitliverpool.com/

Ever been to Fort Perch Rock in New Brighton?

The website http://www.visitwirral.com/attractions-and-activities/new-brighton-p238901 shows

"Along the coast, there is Fort Perch Rock, which is a coast battery defence and it open throughout the year. It features an Aviation and Archeology Museum, as well as a 'Luftwaffe over Merseyside' permanent exhibition. There is also Perch Rock lighthouse and Vale Park further along the promenade."

Is it far from the U-Boat Story at the Woodside dock of the Mersey Ferry? How would we get there? Looks like it's open on Sundays (we are there Jun 9th).

Susan

Just a heads-up here. Whatever you are coming to Liverpool for there is a great map of the city centre that has all of the information you could possibly need to get around with ease.

In fact, the visit Liverpool website is a fantastic resource for any visitor to the city. You can find it here:

http://www.visitliverpool.com/

I LIKE this!!!! Thanks!

Susan

Ever been to Fort Perch Rock in New Brighton?

The website http://www.visitwirral.com/attractions-and-activities/new-brighton-p238901 shows

"Along the coast, there is Fort Perch Rock, which is a coast battery defence and it open throughout the year. It features an Aviation and Archeology Museum, as well as a 'Luftwaffe over Merseyside' permanent exhibition. There is also Perch Rock lighthouse and Vale Park further along the promenade."

Is it far from the U-Boat Story at the Woodside dock of the Mersey Ferry? How would we get there? Looks like it's open on Sundays (we are there Jun 9th).

Susan

I love Fort Perch Rock. I once won a gold award from a national photographic organisation for an image that I took of it.

However, it's a little far out unless you have a particular reason to visit it. If you decide to go there then you will probably be best to take a cab from the Woodside ferry terminal. There also isn't much else to see in the vicinity either.

Perch-Rock-sunset.jpg.f14731a5359d586541e2ef547612d980.jpg

Edited by Towncar T

Hi Susan, sorry for the late reply, but only just saw your post. I heartily concur with what Kate has said, and it is spot on.

In addition, I think you might want to make a trip to St Luke's Church at the top of Bold Street. We locals refer to it as the "Bombed-out Church," as it has been left in the state that it was at the end of the blitz. Nowadays, it is more of a shrine to the reconciliation between former enemies rather than a simple reminder of the bad things that went on in the past. Germans are as welcome as anybody to visit and will be warmly greeted.

The Maritime Museum, which is adjacent to the Albert Dock has a good display of wartime information and artefacts, as well as a great exhibit charting Liverpool's contribution to populating the 'new world.'

The relatively new Museum of Liverpool, which is on the Pier Head itself (and like all our museums is free to enter) also has some great exhibits on wartime Liverpool.

One of my favourite things is to print out pictures of bomb-damaged Liverpool and then to stand on the place from where they were taken and try to imagine what it must have been like.

The suggestion from wopcan about North Wales is certainly a good one, as North Wales is beautiful, but it isn't Liverpool and you'll learn very little about Liverpool during the war on such a trip. But if stunning scenery is what you are looking for then North Wales is the place!

One last thing to look out for on the Pier Head itself would be the plaque in the wall commemorating the cooperation between the allies and in particular between the USA and the people of Liverpool, as it recognises the efforts that were made in bringing ashore so many men from the USA at Liverpool. It is on the Pier Head side of the stone wall that you see on your right hand side as you disembark the ship. Worth a photo at least.

I will try to think of some more stuff for you. Liverpool is full of hidden gems!

Towncar T,

So, have you thought of any other "gems" in Liverpool relating to WWII history? Got any suggestions of good resources for pictures of bombed out Liverpool? Would you give me directions from ship to St Luke's?

Susan

Another idea I came across.....

The Mersey Tunnel tour. I see it doesn't tour on Sundays, but that they will arrange if there's a group of 12+. So I was wondering if you know anything about this tour and if it's worth the time, that is if I can get a group together. It sounds interesting enough to me...

http://www.merseytunnels.co.uk/nossl/html/tunnel_tour.php

Susan