• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

You've got me thinking here. I might just pen an email to the people at that museum to see if they would consider contacting the cruise companies to ask if they would organise tours to their museum, even on a Sunday when the larger cruise ships are in. It will be too late for your visit, I'm afraid, but you never know, it might mean that future Sunday visitors could enjoy even more of Liverpool's heritage. It's worth a 5 minute email anyway. Sill, you won't be short of stuff to see and do in 'The Pool' :)

OK. Message sent. Let's see what comes back:)

Just a heads-up to anyone visiting in late May/early June. This is a fantastic time to be visiting the city, as there are a whole host of events planned around our maritime tradition. Take a look here for further details:

http://www.visitliverpool.com/whats-on/search/on-the-waterfront-mersey-river-festival-and-battle-of-the-atlantic-p238071

Here in Colorado we still have no leaves on trees either. Still pretty barren, altho I'm seeing some buds starting to show. Tulips and Daffodils were coming in nicely till the cold winter blast of snow last Tuesday killed most of that. But this weekend has warmed up nicely - enough to barbecue today.

Too bad the Western Approaches Museum is closed on Sundays :mad: -- would love to go there. We are there on Jun 9th

Susan

Hi

I spoke to the nice lady that runs the museum and although they are not normally open on Sundays, they do open for special events on a Sunday. I am not yet sure if they will be open on your day (I will check though) but in any case you won't be disappointed. The day that you are in town coincides with the final day of the Mersey River Festival on June 9th. There will be music, and a whole host of events going on down at the riverfront. Just be aware though that there will probably be huge crowds, as we Scousers love our ships. However, you will have front row seats and a spectacular view of the events on the water (tall ships etc.) from your ship. You couldn't be in port on a better day!!:)

Looked around the website for the Mersey River Festival. Is there somewhere I can see a timetable of the events? This looks like fun...

...and thanks for checking on the museum. Maybe they will open Sunday ( Jun 9th) because of the extra people at the festival?

Susan

Edited by englander
add info

Looked around the website for the Mersey River Festival. Is there somewhere I can see a timetable of the events? This looks like fun...

...and thanks for checking on the museum. Maybe they will open Sunday ( Jun 9th) because of the extra people at the festival?

Susan

I couldn't find a timetable either. Maybe it's not finalised yet? I will keep checking and see if it appears. :)

Beautiful sunny day here in Liverpool today. 19 degrees Centigrade or 66 degrees in old money!! Looks like Summer is here. You'd better be quick and get here. It usually only lasts a week!!:)

Hello Traincar T - thank you for this wonderful thread. It's obviously a labor of love and so helpful. My husband and I are going to be in Liverpool on Sunday, September 1 on the Celebrity Infinity. We met a lovely couple from Liverpool on a cruise last year who gave us great information as to what to see so we feel all set in that area. However, my husband, the Bionic man with two knee replacements, does have some mobility issues. We feel pretty confident that he can walk to Albert Dock and see all that we want to see there but are not too sure about walking to the Cavern Quarter. The Hop On/ Hop Off bus stops at Victoria Street. Do you think that this would be the best way to get to the Mathew St. area?

Dotty

Hello Traincar T - thank you for this wonderful thread. It's obviously a labor of love and so helpful. My husband and I are going to be in Liverpool on Sunday, September 1 on the Celebrity Infinity. We met a lovely couple from Liverpool on a cruise last year who gave us great information as to what to see so we feel all set in that area. However, my husband, the Bionic man with two knee replacements, does have some mobility issues. We feel pretty confident that he can walk to Albert Dock and see all that we want to see there but are not too sure about walking to the Cavern Quarter. The Hop On/ Hop Off bus stops at Victoria Street. Do you think that this would be the best way to get to the Mathew St. area?

Dotty

Hi Dotty

Traincar? That's a new one, considering my screen name is based on the American car I used to drive!! LOL!!

Not knowing the extent of your hubby's disability, it's hard to say. Probably the hardest bit of the walk is the uphill part from the Pier Head to the top of Water Street. If you would have done the HoHo anyway, to see some of the other sights, then that's probably the way to go. However, if you really only want to get up to the city centre then maybe a taxi is the answer? It will only be a few pounds, and if you share it will probably only be a couple of quid from each couple. There will be taxis right next to the ship.

The ferry would also be a good thing to do, as you can both just take a seat and let the boat do the work! That's right next to the cruise terminal too, so hardly any walking at all.

Whatever you do, you will have a great time in Liverpool. :)

Sorry about that Towncar! I read through all the entire thread yesterday and another poster wrote "Traincar". It must have been in my mind! Thanks for the advice. I'd thought about taking a cab. That might be the best way to go. I'm not sure I understand about the ferry to go from Albert Dock to the Cavern Quarter though.

Edited by CruisinNole

I'm not sure I understand about the ferry to go from Albert Dock to the Cavern Quarter though.

Lol! I meant that the ferry would be a good thing for you to do if your hubby's mobility becomes a problem. :)

Lol! I meant that the ferry would be a good thing for you to do if your hubby's mobility becomes a problem. :)
That's so funny! Well, he can golf two times a week so I think his mobility isn't that much of an issue but he is afraid that he won't be up to walking to the Albert Dock for the Maritime Museum and the Beatles Story and then walk to the Cavern Quarter. It's that last part that we're concerned about.

That's so funny! Well, he can golf two times a week so I think his mobility isn't that much of an issue but he is afraid that he won't be up to walking to the Albert Dock for the Maritime Museum and the Beatles Story and then walk to the Cavern Quarter. It's that last part that we're concerned about.

Well having just got back from playing golf myself this morning, I can relate to that. However, over here we tend to WALK the golf course, whereas you guys tend to ride around in carts. If your hubby walks the course he will handle the walking in Liverpool with ease.My guess is that the round trip from the ship to the Cavern Quarter and then to the Albert Dock and back to the ship would be around one and a half miles with approximately 300 yards of uphill (not really steep, but taxing if you have mobility issues) walking.:)

Well having just got back from playing golf myself this morning, I can relate to that. However, over here we tend to WALK the golf course, whereas you guys tend to ride around in carts. If your hubby walks the course he will handle the walking in Liverpool with ease.My guess is that the round trip from the ship to the Cavern Quarter and then to the Albert Dock and back to the ship would be around one and a half miles with approximately 300 yards of uphill (not really steep, but taxing if you have mobility issues) walking.:)

He uses a cart but I think he could probably do a mile and a half. He might not be happy about it but I think he'll survive! ;-)

He uses a cart but I think he could probably do a mile and a half. He might not be happy about it but I think he'll survive! ;-)

If you do walk, there is a nice coffee house on your route that I was introduced to by some friends from Atlanta! It's called Rococo. Here's a link to their website, with directions. The window seats are a good place to people watch. There are some stairs to negotiate though, as it is on the first floor (or second floor to you!).:)

http://www.rococoliverpool.com/

If you do walk, there is a nice coffee house on your route that I was introduced to by some friends from Atlanta! It's called Rococo. Here's a link to their website, with directions. The window seats are a good place to people watch. There are some stairs to negotiate though, as it is on the first floor (or second floor to you!).:)

Thanks! It looks very comfy and the prices are very reasonable.

I hope your weather is just as nice when we visit in August:) Are there any free wifi locations in the Dock area? Cafes?

Are there any free wifi locations in the Dock area? Cafes?

Yes, there is a Starbucks right at the Pier Head on Mann Island (not a real island, just a name). The cafe I mentioned above also has free wifi, but is more in the city. I know there are other cafes near the dock but I don't know if they have free wifi. :)

I hope your weather is just as nice when we visit in August:) Are there any free wifi locations in the Dock area? Cafes?

Just had a look around the internet and found a site that lists places in Liverpool city centre with free wifi. I think it was done some time ago, as it doesn't list Starbucks at Mann Island and I think one or two places may now have closed. However, it is interesting to note that all Liverpool museums (which are all free to enter) also have free wifi. The Museum of Liverpool is right there on the Pier Had. You won't miss it. It's the big horrible ugly wart on the once majestic waterfront!!;)

http://www.sevenstreets.com/8699/free-wifi-internet-in-liverpool/

Edited by Towncar T

Hi Towncar T,

This café looks very nice for relaxing a bit. I still need to go back thru these pages and plan out our day. We want to do the ferry and U-Boat, which I expect to take up 2 hrs. Then find some WWII spots of interest that you mentioned. Can't remember it all right now....You have been so delightful to follow here and have stirred up my interest in Liverpool.

Any good fish 'n chips places nearby?

Susan

Hi Towncar T,

This café looks very nice for relaxing a bit. I still need to go back thru these pages and plan out our day. We want to do the ferry and U-Boat, which I expect to take up 2 hrs. Then find some WWII spots of interest that you mentioned. Can't remember it all right now....You have been so delightful to follow here and have stirred up my interest in Liverpool.

Any good fish 'n chips places nearby?

Susan

In my opinion, if you are going to do the fish and chips thing you should do it like the locals do. Yes there will be plenty of restaurants where you can have a nice sit down meal of fish and chips and it will be very nice. However, locals mainly buy their fish and chips from a specific "fish and chip" shop, known locally in Liverpool as a "chippy." The fish and chips are cooked fresh and are served wrapped in paper or in a styrofoam container. You normally get a plastic fork to eat them with and if you are out and about you have to just find somewhere to sit and eat them. The only chippy I know in the city is opposite Central Train station. Maybe others know of some good places. It's a long while since I ate fish and chips!:)

Just had a look around the internet and found a site that lists places in Liverpool city centre with free wifi. I think it was done some time ago, as it doesn't list Starbucks at Mann Island and I think one or two places may now have closed. However, it is interesting to note that all Liverpool museums (which are all free to enter) also have free wifi. The Museum of Liverpool is right there on the Pier Had. You won't miss it. It's the big horrible ugly wart on the once majestic waterfront!!;)

http://www.sevenstreets.com/8699/free-wifi-internet-in-liverpool/

Thanks for your research! And I see that Rococo also offers it.

In my opinion, if you are going to do the fish and chips thing you should do it like the locals do. Yes there will be plenty of restaurants where you can have a nice sit down meal of fish and chips and it will be very nice. However, locals mainly buy their fish and chips from a specific "fish and chip" shop, known locally in Liverpool as a "chippy." The fish and chips are cooked fresh and are served wrapped in paper or in a styrofoam container. You normally get a plastic fork to eat them with and if you are out and about you have to just find somewhere to sit and eat them. The only chippy I know in the city is opposite Central Train station. Maybe others know of some good places. It's a long while since I ate fish and chips!:)

A chippy sounds good to me!!! I imagine the price is right too.

A chippy sounds good to me!!! I imagine the price is right too.

We have a saying here. When something is inexpensive, we say it's "cheap as chips." They're not as cheap as they used to be when I was growing up, but they are quite inexpensive relatively speaking. I will see if I can locate some others before you arrive.

Just did some delving and look what I found!

https://plus.google.com/104945800000387074524/about?gl=uk&hl=en

Seems I chose the right place. It gets great reviews and it seems you can eat your fish and chips upstairs after buying them in the chippy. It's called The Lobster Pot. There is a map on the site that I linked to, but it really is easy to find. From the ship go up Water Street then all the way down Lord Street into Church Street. Follow Church Street (all pedestrianised) around to the left into Ranelagh Street. The Lobster Pot is on the left opposite the train station.

Edited by Towncar T