• Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Hi Towncar,

Someone was telling me last night about a museum in the dock area where you see a ship like the immigrants saw it when they were leaving for the Americas. So not know if it is a tour or a museum that you visit and just get the same feeling that the immigrants got. Any help?

Thanks

Just a quick heads-up to anyone visiting Liverpool. The new Museum of Liverpool is now open and it's right on the Pier Head, a two minute walk from the cruise ship terminal. Entry is free and although I haven't yet had the chance to visit it myself, I'm told that it's well worth a look.:)

Towncar T, did you post these walks on Liverpool? If so I would like to review them. We will be visiting on the Caribbean Princess in August 2013.

No problem at all. It's a pleasure to help. I still have to try to plan out some walks through the city from the Pier Head for those that have asked. I will do it before the cruising season starts in earnest.

Here is our cruise from Southampton on August 16th.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1594858&highlight=liverpool&page=114

I'd be grateful to anyone who is on a cruise that is visiting Liverpool if they would post a link here to their CC roll-call thread, so that I can perhaps post updates on those threads. I have looked for some, but it is a bit of a tedious task and I know I must have missed a load of them.

Hi Towncar,

Someone was telling me last night about a museum in the dock area where you see a ship like the immigrants saw it when they were leaving for the Americas. So not know if it is a tour or a museum that you visit and just get the same feeling that the immigrants got. Any help?

Thanks

Hi

Yes, that is in the Maritime Museum at the Albert Dock. It is in the basement area and is part of a really good exhibit on emigration to the New World. One of my favourite exhibits.

:)

Towncar T, did you post these walks on Liverpool? If so I would like to review them. We will be visiting on the Caribbean Princess in August 2013.

No problem at all. It's a pleasure to help. I still have to try to plan out some walks through the city from the Pier Head for those that have asked. I will do it before the cruising season starts in earnest.

I have posted two walks on this thread. The first is on post number 1, taking in the major sights and the second is a Beatles-related walking route on post number 419. If you are interested in anything more specific then let me know and I will do my best to help.:)

I couldn't find a timetable either. Maybe it's not finalised yet? I will keep checking and see if it appears. :)

http://www.itsliverpool.com/culture/event/mersey-river-festival/

Looks like quite a lot of variety of things to see. We are there June 9th. Looking forward to seeing the Russian airshow at 2pm that day. We should be back from the Ferry/U-Boat adventure.

Susan

Just spent a great day showing our friends around the city centre after their ship, Celebrity Infinity docked in Liverpool today. The weather was a nightmare. Never known it so cold at this time of year before. Despite that, we had a great day.:)

Just spent a great day showing our friends around the city centre after their ship, Celebrity Infinity docked in Liverpool today. The weather was a nightmare. Never known it so cold at this time of year before. Despite that, we had a great day.:)

So...where did you go?

Have you had an answer concerning the Western Approaches Museum opening on a Sunday for cruise ships?

Susan

So...where did you go?

Have you had an answer concerning the Western Approaches Museum opening on a Sunday for cruise ships?

Susan

Hi. They have no plans to open regularly on a Sunday and they say they don't get many visitors from the cruise ships. However, I have specifically asked if they are open on June 9th, as that day is part of the waterfront festivities. T:)

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I were married at Mossley Hill church on june 22,1960. We will arrive on the Infinity on June 19th and would like to visit the church as we haven't been back to England since leaving in 1961. Does the bus still run from the pier head? Can't wait to get back and see the city. We used to be regulars at the Caverns before the Beatles became famous. Don't even know if we ever saw them.

I think that might signal the end of these tours, or at least the splashdown part of it. I know I won't be booking it any time soon!:(

Was driving past yesterday when this happened, was on way to brothers wedding do. Haven't been to Liverpool for quite a few years, got to say it's looking very impressive, they've done a good job.

My wife and I were married at Mossley Hill church on june 22,1960. We will arrive on the Infinity on June 19th and would like to visit the church as we haven't been back to England since leaving in 1961. Does the bus still run from the pier head? Can't wait to get back and see the city. We used to be regulars at the Caverns before the Beatles became famous. Don't even know if we ever saw them.

It's a long time since buses ran from the Pier Head. I remember the Pier Head bus station very well, and fondly recall waiting for the 15D to Kirkby back in the day. I will try to find out where you can get the bus from and what route etc.

Be prepared for an increase in the fare, and it's no use bringing your old tanners, two-bobs and half crowns with you either!!!

T:)

OK. I looked it up and you will need to get the number 80 bus that leaves from the new Liverpool One bus terminal. Here is a link to the timetable.

http://www.traveline-northwest.co.uk/journeyplanner/timetableplanner/displayIjpTimetableDetails.do?rid=1371456244922&hss=67e31146782029

I realise your visit is imminent, but if I can be of any help then let me know.

You are going to see some changes!!

Bst regards

T

Happy 4th of July to all our American friends. May the bonds of our friendship remain forever tied!!

Thanks, T!

We visited Liverpool on June 9th via the Celebrity Infinity. It was a nice day. We caught the ferry, saw the U-boats Story. Around 2pm we watched the Russian Jets (2 of them) perform their maneuvers in the sky, then we came back across the Mersey. Then we walked up to find the "bombed-out church" which was very interesting; must have been a beautiful church in its day. By the timw we walked backed down towards the pier we had missed entry into the Maritime Museum, unfortunately. So there will have to be another visit sometime. Weather was super sunny and comfortable, all in all a great day. The nicest thing was the fond farewell your fellow city dwellers gave us as the ship pulled away from shore and everyone was waving.

Susan

Thanks, T!

We visited Liverpool on June 9th via the Celebrity Infinity. It was a nice day. We caught the ferry, saw the U-boats Story. Around 2pm we watched the Russian Jets (2 of them) perform their maneuvers in the sky, then we came back across the Mersey. Then we walked up to find the "bombed-out church" which was very interesting; must have been a beautiful church in its day. By the timw we walked backed down towards the pier we had missed entry into the Maritime Museum, unfortunately. So there will have to be another visit sometime. Weather was super sunny and comfortable, all in all a great day. The nicest thing was the fond farewell your fellow city dwellers gave us as the ship pulled away from shore and everyone was waving.

Susan

Great that you enjoyed your stay. Shame you missed the museum, but hopefully you'll come back another time. Lots to see and do in the north west of England. Glad too that my fellow Scousers gave you a good send off.

Happy cruising!!

T

• 3 months later...

It's been very quiet on here for a while now, but hopefully people are still finding the information on here useful, as the views are still going up.

As always, if anyone's planning on visiting Liverpool then this is the place to get answers to any questions you might have. We're a friendly lot here!!:)

Hi Towncar

Thanks for all your help with ideas for Liverpool. I have a question for you. Our ship docks in Liverpool from 12pm - 11pm. I would like to see Conway Castle and Betws-y-coed, then have time to spend Liverpool afterwards. I really don't want to do the ships tour. I found Busy Bus tours and like what they offer, but I really don't want a nine hour tour. This would put us back to the ship at 10pm.

Do you have any recommendations on how we can see these 2 places and still have time to pop into a pub in Liverpool? Would hiring a taxi make sense or be very expensive?