• Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Hi Towncar

Thanks for all your help with ideas for Liverpool. I have a question for you. Our ship docks in Liverpool from 12pm - 11pm. I would like to see Conway Castle and Betws-y-coed, then have time to spend Liverpool afterwards. I really don't want to do the ships tour. I found Busy Bus tours and like what they offer, but I really don't want a nine hour tour. This would put us back to the ship at 10pm.

Do you have any recommendations on how we can see these 2 places and still have time to pop into a pub in Liverpool? Would hiring a taxi make sense or be very expensive?

Well you would certainly have the time to do that, but hiring a taxi at the dockside would, in my opinion, be very expensive, even if you could get them to go that far. Of course, it depends on what you mean by expensive.

I would estimate that to get to these places by road and to do them justice (say 1.5 hours in BYC and 2 in Conway) would take you 6-7 hours without any hold ups en route.

I guess that you are still a good while out from your cruise, so perhaps you could ask on your roll call if anyone else wants to join you and then perhaps share a mini bus or something similar? It wouldn't be feasible to do public transport, as Betwys Y Coed and Conway are a good way apart and I think it would be very cumbersome on public transport.

Have you searched online to see if there is a company that will put together a bespoke tour for you and maybe a few others? I am sure they are out there. Let me know if I can help.? T:)

Well our little Liverpool thread just passed 50,000 views and is still going strong. I know about 48,000 of them are probably me looking in on the thread, but hopefully there are plenty of people getting some useful information about our wonderful city.:)

• 3 weeks later...

I received the following Groupon offer recently. I decided to buy one for myself and my family, so that we can do the tour that we haven't done before. If anyone is visiting Liverpool before it runs out (March 2014 I think) then it looks like a bargain. For anyone coming after the 'use by' date next year, it might be worth contacting the company to see if they will honour the offer when your cruise visits. Got to be worth a try!!

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/liverpool/fab-four-tours/30222139?p=1&nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_330&a=13&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&sid=fd75f317-7ac4-4206-8f44-7540aa79b0ed&division=liverpool&uh=077c388d-5aea-43a7-84b3-bb4da2d0e4de&date=20132611&sender=rm&s=body&c=deal_button&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=fab-four-tours-30222139

Edited by Towncar T

I received the following Groupon offer recently. I decided to buy one for myself and my family, so that we can do the tour that we haven't done before. If anyone is visiting Liverpool before it runs out (March 2014 I think) then it looks like a bargain. For anyone coming after the 'use by' date next year, it might be worth contacting the company to see if they will honour the offer when your cruise visits. Got to be worth a try!!

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/liverpool/fab-four-tours/30222139?p=1&nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_330&a=13&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&sid=fd75f317-7ac4-4206-8f44-7540aa79b0ed&division=liverpool&uh=077c388d-5aea-43a7-84b3-bb4da2d0e4de&date=20132611&sender=rm&s=body&c=deal_button&d=deal-page&utm_campaign=fab-four-tours-30222139

Thanks Towncar! Let us know how you enjoy the tour!

I just wrote to the Fab Four Taxi Company:

booking@fab4tours.co.uk

and asked them if they will honor this deal in August when I will be there for one day on the Crystal Symphony.

It is only good to buy for one more day.

Town: Do you know the value (regular price) for this tour? Thanks for all your help on this forum.

Having looked into this, there are a number of tours offered and they start at £45 for a two hour tour.

Go to:

http://www.thebeatlesfabfourtaxitour.com/?gclid=CLW7-v2sj7sCFQHHtAod5V8A3A

Please be assured that I have absolutely NO affiliation whatsoever to this company, or any other for that matter. I simply want to help make your visit to our city as memorable as possible. I'm sure there are other companies offering similar tours.

The £39 90 minute tour seems like a good tour to me for people with limited time in the city (i.e. cruisers!). As an experienced cruiser myself, I know how valuable time spent in the ports can be, so you want to make the most of it.

By the way, it seems like this offer gets repeated on Groupon, as here it is again with another day to go for anyone that missed it.

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/liverpool/fab-four-tours/30558337?context=sold-out&treatment=similar-category&bcsp=Rxb1IVOX28G8y-cQYnK3tQ

:)

I did write to them at:

http://www.thebeatlesfabfourtaxitour...FQHHtAod5V8A3A

They said that I cannot do it in August when I am there off the Crystal Symphony because that is their busy season and they do not need the business except in the winter - Duh! :cool:

Oh well! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!! Not to worry. Take a look at the link I posted above. Tours seem to start at £45 anyway, as far as I can see.:)

• 3 weeks later...

Merry Christmas (or whatever you celebrate - or don't!) to one and all!

Here's a link to next year's Beatles Week celebrations, which take place in August. Anyone in the city around that time is in for a treat.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=267767a26177257cc2d9e39e8&id=313af3dc2f

See you next year in the world's friendliest city.

T:)

• 2 weeks later...
Merry Christmas (or whatever you celebrate - or don't!) to one and all!

Here's a link to next year's Beatles Week celebrations, which take place in August. Anyone in the city around that time is in for a treat.

http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=267767a26177257cc2d9e39e8&id=313af3dc2f

See you next year in the world's friendliest city.

T:)

I just found your thread and am amazed at the breadth and depth of your information for fellow CCers. We will be in Liverpool just after the Beatles celebration on August 30 on the Ruby. Too bad! Thanks for your info though. I am sure to be back with specific questions later. Patric

• 2 weeks later...
I just found your thread and am amazed at the breadth and depth of your information for fellow CCers. We will be in Liverpool just after the Beatles celebration on August 30 on the Ruby. Too bad! Thanks for your info though. I am sure to be back with specific questions later. Patric

Hi Patric(k?). It's my pleasure to help out fellow CCers in whatever way I can. Ask whatever questions you like, whenever you like. Don't worry too much about missing the Beatles Week. There is always something going on in Liverpool around that time, and it's a great city to see even when nothing special is planned. The welcome will be warm, but I can't guarantee the weather - even in August!!;)

Hi Patric(k?). It's my pleasure to help out fellow CCers in whatever way I can. Ask whatever questions you like, whenever you like. Don't worry too much about missing the Beatles Week. There is always something going on in Liverpool around that time, and it's a great city to see even when nothing special is planned. The welcome will be warm, but I can't guarantee the weather - even in August!!;)

It's Patric! My mother gave me the spelling and I've stuck with it! :)

It's Patric! My mother gave me the spelling and I've stuck with it! :)

And so you should! You might be amused to know that our Catholic cathedral (Metropolitan Cathedral of Christ The King) is irreverently known amongst the locals here as 'Paddy's wig-wam' because of its distinctive shape :)

I will have to put 'Paddy's wig-wam' on our places to see list. Thanks again.

We have two two wonderful cathedrals here in Liverpool, and both are worth a visit if you have the time. I believe that the HO-HO bus route takes in both of them.:)

We have two two wonderful cathedrals here in Liverpool, and both are worth a visit if you have the time. I believe that the HO-HO bus route takes in both of them.:)

Frankly, I have been putting all my efforts into our April/May cruise which doesn't call at Liverpool. As a result I have no idea how to proceed in Liverpool. Is the HO-HO bus a good option? Thanks. Patric

Frankly, I have been putting all my efforts into our April/May cruise which doesn't call at Liverpool. As a result I have no idea how to proceed in Liverpool. Is the HO-HO bus a good option? Thanks. Patric

The HO HO is a good way to go for those who are not very mobile or who want to get just a short overview of the city in a limited time. Personally, I'd explore the city on foot, maybe doing a route like those mentioned elsewhere in this thread. If you have any specifics that you want to see or do then just ask when you start looking seriously at this itinerary.:)

The HO HO is a good way to go for those who are not very mobile or who want to get just a short overview of the city in a limited time. Personally, I'd explore the city on foot, maybe doing a route like those mentioned elsewhere in this thread. If you have any specifics that you want to see or do then just ask when you start looking seriously at this itinerary.:)

Thanks. Will do. :)

I would like to second Towncar T's suggestions about visiting cathedrals. The Anglican Cathedral is amazing. It's huge, took forever to build, is beautiful and different. And it has an incredible cemetery in the old quarry below. It's totally visitor-friendly and you need not be religious to find it fascinating.

On the date we visited, they actually had people rapelling outside down the front of the building, which was odd, but fun. They were playing loud rock music as each person came down and we found it ironic that "Don't Fear the Reaper" was one of the songs...everyone got down safe and the crowd was entertained.

I would like to second Towncar T's suggestions about visiting cathedrals. The Anglican Cathedral is amazing. It's huge, took forever to build, is beautiful and different. And it has an incredible cemetery in the old quarry below. It's totally visitor-friendly and you need not be religious to find it fascinating.

On the date we visited, they actually had people rapelling outside down the front of the building, which was odd, but fun. They were playing loud rock music as each person came down and we found it ironic that "Don't Fear the Reaper" was one of the songs...everyone got down safe and the crowd was entertained.

You have actually just reminded me that we have to visit the Anglican Cathedral soon. Our son's Med School graduation party was held in the cathedral and we have recently commemorated the occasion by buying a brick engraved with his name somewhere in the cathedral grounds. Must go and find where it is.:)