• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

I need to get to south Hampton for a cruise after spending 3 days in Liverpool. What are my options for ground transportation? We will have 2 large bags for 2 week cruise.

Hi. Obviously, if budget is not an issue, you can book a private transfer, which would be door to door, but that would be several hundred pounds. Assuming you don't have a limitless budget, like most of us, your two main options would be train and bus. Both are relatively inexpensive (I always book early and can generally get a cheap first class train ticket) and don't involve a lot of fuss.

You can look up train times, routes etc on http://www.thetrainline.com and buses are on http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

It is really easy to get a taxi from the ship to either the train station (Lime Street) or the bus station. Both are a very short ride away (less than a mile) and I would guess that the taxi fare is under £5.

The train will probably be the faster option, and it is definitely the way that I would go if it were me. If you change at Birmingham New Street or Wolverhampton then there won't be too much lugging of bags. I'd avoid changing trains at London, as this will involve either a cross-city taxi or an horrendous trip on the underground (nightmare with two big bags).

Maybe the best idea is for you to do test bookings (if your dates are open yet) and see what route it brings up? Then come back on and ask me. I'll be happy to take a look and suggest the best routes if you give me your date/time.

T:)

My date is aug and I couldn't get website to go that far out. Will try later. Thanks.

I am staying at stay bridge in Liverpool. What's your opinion of it?

Which train station is closest?

Also which station will I want in Southampton to be close to cruise terminal?

It appears I can choose either Wolverhampton or Birmingham to change trains. Both routes are 4some hours.

When we were trying to figure out how to go from Southampton to Liverpool it was suggested we change in Birmingham and we did and it went very smooth.

Sent from my iPod touch using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

My date is aug and I couldn't get website to go that far out. Will try later. Thanks.

I am staying at stay bridge in Liverpool. What's your opinion of it?

Which train station is closest?

Also which station will I want in Southampton to be close to cruise terminal?

The nearest station is Lime Street, which is only a five minute taxi ride away. There will only be one station that the train goes into at Southampton, which can't be too far from the cruise terminal as Southampton is not a huge city.

It appears I can choose either Wolverhampton or Birmingham to change trains. Both routes are 4some hours.
When I looked, there was also one train that went straight from Liverpool to Southampton, but most do indeed require one change. I have changed at both Wolverhampton and Birmingham in the past and neither is a big problem. There are some stairs to negotiate in Birmingham, but I'm sure there is an elevator if you need it.

As for the hotel, I can't help there. I don't know it and I've never stayed in one of their hotels before. Maybe there is some information on Tripadvisor. I can say that it is in a very convenient location though.:)

• 1 month later...

We are visiting in July, and I understand most of the soccer teams aren't playing then. What would be the best way to visit Old Trafford and Anfield stadiums? Are they open for visitors when the soccer teams are on break?

We are visiting in July, and I understand most of the soccer teams aren't playing then. What would be the best way to visit Old Trafford and Anfield stadiums? Are they open for visitors when the soccer teams are on break?

Yes, both Old Trafford and Anfield offer stadium tours and both have museums too, open all year round. Lots of details on both clubs' websites:

http://www.manutd.com/en/Visit-Old-Trafford/Museum-And-Stadium-Tour/Welcome.aspx

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/tour-and-museum/home

Hi. We are actually in the states at present, enjoying some southern Florida sun. What Cotswold Eagle said is true, but old Trafford is approximately 40 miles or so from your ship. Personally, I think it might be too much to ask to visit both in a day unless your ship was docked for a long time and you had private transport. Anfield is only a mile or two from the ship, so would be easy to do. All depends on the time you have amd your priority. You could certainly get to Old Trafford and back in about 4-5 hours, including time to visit the stadium. :)

Wonderful!! Thanks so much! What do you think we should do for transportation? Should we rent a car or hire a car service?

I think either would work, but for peace of mind and time - saving I would get a car sservice if the budget allows. :-)

Thanks Towncar T and all who have contributed to this thread. We will be joining a voyage in Liverpool in July 2015, and have learnt a lot of really useful information. I'm counting down the days!:)

Well, you'll have plenty of time to plan for it! If we can help, just ask. T

I just checked our itinerary and we are in port from noon until 11:00pm. Visiting these stadiums are the only request my husband is making so I think we'll try to see both. Man U is his team, so I think we'll plan to visit there and Anfield if we have time. It there a rental car agency at the port?

I just checked our itinerary and we are in port from noon until 11:00pm. Visiting these stadiums are the only request my husband is making so I think we'll try to see both. Man U is his team, so I think we'll plan to visit there and Anfield if we have time. It there a rental car agency at the port?

I remember this question came up a couple of years back. I don't think there is anything right there at the cruise terminal, but Sixt Car Hire and Enterprise are quite close by. I do believe that Enterprise will actually bring the car to meet you off the ship. You can get their contact details online but if you want I will post their telephone numbers here. If anyone knows of any other options then post the details on here please.

I would allow about an hour and fifteen minutes or so o get to Old Trafford from the cruise terminal by car.:)

Thanks so much! I will look into Enterprise. My husband will be thrilled-he can visit the football stadiums AND drive on the opposite side of the road! Two things off of his bucket list.

Well the football stadia thing will be quite easy, if you have the time, but good luck with the driving on the left in a right hand drive car, possibly with a manual shift!

If he hasn't done it before, I can think of easier places to start than Liverpool City Centre. Roundabouts always give our Aamerican cousins problems, as they aren't as common over there as they are here. I was recently driving through Windermere in Florida, where they have some small roundabouts, and the confusion there was apparent. Fortunately, I don't think you will encounter a large number of roundabouts en route to Manchester along the M62, but there will definitely be some.

Do take some time to read up online about driving in the UK and don't hesitate to ask on here if you have any driiving questions. Although these days I am a very experienced international driver, I remember my first time driving on the "wrong" side of the road and it was frightening to say the least!

The HO HO is a good way to go for those who are not very mobile or who want to get just a short overview of the city in a limited time. Personally, I'd explore the city on foot, maybe doing a route like those mentioned elsewhere in this thread. If you have any specifics that you want to see or do then just ask when you start looking seriously at this itinerary.:)

Hello Again,

I am now looking seriously at our time in Liverpool. I would like to have a plan of sorts at least in place before we leave on the April/May cruise. I would like to see some Beatles sights, Paddy's Wigwam, and other sites you might recommend. The Ruby is scheduled to arrive at 12:30 PM and depart at 10:00 PM, a bit different than usual morning arrivals. We are 60+ (just), mobile and like to see historical or scenic sites, and are not big on spending time in museums. What should we NOT miss on our 1 day stop over? Thanks again, Patric

Hello Again,

I am now looking seriously at our time in Liverpool. I would like to have a plan of sorts at least in place before we leave on the April/May cruise. I would like to see some Beatles sights, Paddy's Wigwam, and other sites you might recommend. The Ruby is scheduled to arrive at 12:30 PM and depart at 10:00 PM, a bit different than usual morning arrivals. We are 60+ (just), mobile and like to see historical or scenic sites, and are not big on spending time in museums. What should we NOT miss on our 1 day stop over? Thanks again, Patric

OK, without yet planning a proper itinerary, here are my initial thoughts on 'must sees' all are within a half mile or so of the ship ( and most considerably less) unless otherwise stated. In no particular order:

Albert Dock

Merseyside Maritime museum ( if only to visit the 'New World' exhibit - a must, in my opinion, for all US visitors)

Mersey ferry

Matthew Street and the Cavern Quarter

Liverpool Cathedrals ( get a cab to the Anglican Cathedral and then walk back down Hope Street to Liverpool Metropolitain Cathedral 'Paddy's Wigwam'

These are some highlights, but there are many more things to see and do between visiting these. If you take a look at my original post and then look at some of the other ideas posted on this thread, you should be able to work out a good route that will take in the whole day.

ALSO, for anyone in the city between the 13th and 20th May, the world- famous Cavern Club is hosting the Liverpool leg of the International Pop Overthrow Festival every afternoon and evening in the club itself and at the Cavern Pub opposite. The festival features live bands playing original music, each band having been chosen to play by the festival organiser, Mr David Bash from Los Angeles. My own band is playing at the festival on the evening of 14 May and we are really looking forward to it.

If your ship is in late, then this will be a great place to visit on the way back on board.

http://internationalpopoverthrow.com/schedules/ipo-2014-schedules/liverpool-2014/

If you need any help with your planning, just post on here.

Well my husband is a Man U supporter, which is definitely not blue. Hehe. He was born in the wrong country-he doesn't watch football, baseball, or basketball, but loves soccer.

Well, Manchester United are a great team, and one of the most famous on the planet. Going through a bit of a tough time at the moment, by their standards, but I'm sure they'll soon sort it out.

If football (the correct name for soccer) isn't your thing, then there is plenty for you to see and do within easy walking distance of the ship while your hubby chases his dream. Let me know if either of you have any questions.

T

:)