• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Thanks again for all the advice. I'll talk to Mark and see if he'd like North Wales or if he wants to "go for it." Yikes! This is a "date day" for us as the kids and Mom are going elsewhere for the day. It might be nice to have a less stressful drive, then finish off with a nice snack or tea overlooking the harbor...

Dave, we are going to Ireland for three nights pre-cruise and London 3 nights post-cruise. We're going to be in London for two days, then do one day at Warwick/Cotswolds.

Any additional input is welcome!

Have a great day,

Erin

• 2 weeks later...

Towncar T - Thanks for the in-depth Liverpool ideas. My husband, 13-year-old daughter, and I will be in Liverpool May 20-22. We arrive via train from London in the afternoon and depart on 22 around 3. Primary purpose is Beatles pilgrimage, but am interested in other additional ideas to balance out. Have already booked National Trust tour for morning of 21. Additional suggestions for non-Beatles things? Aside from NT tour, what is best way to see other Beatles landmarks (e.g. Penny Lane, ER grave)? Good places to eat where we could get local flavor? Thanks!

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions and the ER link. Funny comment about Penny Lane - yes, we're not expecting much - just a photo op (my daughter is the big Beatles fan). The ferry is high on our list, weather cooperating. We will be staying in a family room at the YHA at Albert Dock, which looks to be amidst the waterfront attractions. I've copied your suggested itinerary and will bring it with us - we look forward to visiting your town - thanks for the wonderful ideas! Christine (from Atlanta, Georgia)

Thanks for the restaurant suggestions and the ER link. Funny comment about Penny Lane - yes, we're not expecting much - just a photo op (my daughter is the big Beatles fan). The ferry is high on our list, weather cooperating. We will be staying in a family room at the YHA at Albert Dock, which looks to be amidst the waterfront attractions. I've copied your suggested itinerary and will bring it with us - we look forward to visiting your town - thanks for the wonderful ideas! Christine (from Atlanta, Georgia)

Yes Albert Dock is a great place to stay. Couldn't be a better location actually. I didn't know there was a YHA there. Don't hesitate to ask if you need to know anything else.

As Beatles fans you might be interested in a hotel in Stanley Street which is Beatles-themed and right in the centre. It's called the Eleanor Rigby Hotel. Here's a link

http://www.theeleanorrigbyhotel.com/

Even if not staying at the hotel, there's a good photo opportunity. Next to the hotel there's a sculpture dedicated to 'all the lonely people' and you can take a photo next to it. Probably worth a look if you're into the Beatles and it's not far at all from the (not original) Cavern in Matthew Street.

Enjoy Liverpool. It's a very welcoming city.

Tom:)

Just got back in from the golf course myself. Weather was nice today and I played OK. If you'd like to have a game of golf when you get here I could arrange that. I've got a couple of free passes that I won for a really nice course not more than about fifteen minutes' drive from where your ship docks. My own club is really nice but it's about 35 miles out of the city. I could arrange to borrow some clubs and all you'd need to bring would be your shoes and a handicap certificate. It's a really nice course called Wallasey. The offer's genuine if you could swing it with the missus! T:)

Towncar T, if that golf invite is still open, I would sure take you up on it! We dock at Liverpool on the Crown Princess on 16 Aug (Sun). I would love an opportunity to play a links course while I am there. You can contact me at bjoren @ cfl dot rr dot com

Regards,

Bruce

Edited by BRUCENLYNN

Tavern Tom said: "Yes Albert Dock is a great place to stay. Couldn't be a better location actually. I didn't know there was a YHA there. Don't hesitate to ask if you need to know anything else."

Hi Tavern Tom - Thanks for the ER hotel suggestion. That looks like a good photo op for my daughter, and I hadn't seen that anywhere else.

The YHA is not right at Albert Dock, but very near. It's on Stanley Street, off of Wapping Road - it looks like it's in front of Wapping Dock on my map.

Liverpool next week! Thanks much for your hospitality. Christine

Tavern Tom said: "Yes Albert Dock is a great place to stay. Couldn't be a better location actually. I didn't know there was a YHA there. Don't hesitate to ask if you need to know anything else."

Hi Tavern Tom - Thanks for the ER hotel suggestion. That looks like a good photo op for my daughter, and I hadn't seen that anywhere else.

The YHA is not right at Albert Dock, but very near. It's on Stanley Street, off of Wapping Road - it looks like it's in front of Wapping Dock on my map.

Liverpool next week! Thanks much for your hospitality. Christine

Tavern Tom? Well I've been called worse, but not sure where that came from. LOL!

It's actually Tabley Street. Unless you're on a mega-tight budget, or you have no luggage, I'd advise you get a taxi from the train station to the hostel. I didn't know that was there. A lot of new development has gone on in that area. It looks good, and the prices are ridiculous!! Good location. The new Liverpool 1 shopping centre is very adjacent to it if you like shopping. You might also enjoy the yellow Duckmarine tour, which goes from Albert Dock. T:)

Towncar T, if that golf invite is still open, I would sure take you up on it! We dock at Liverpool on the Crown Princess on 16 Aug (Sun). I would love an opportunity to play a links course while I am there. You can contact me at bjoren @ cfl dot rr dot com

Regards,

Bruce

Bruce, unfortunately we won't get on there on a Sunday, as that day will be members only, and I always play with my pals on a Sunday in any case. What's your handicap?

Bruce, unfortunately we won't get on there on a Sunday, as that day will be members only, and I always play with my pals on a Sunday in any case. What's your handicap?

I am an 11. I am trying to get a round in somewhere but as a single I can't get on anywhere. Thought I had someone else on the cruise interested but it was too expensive for them.

I am an 11. I am trying to get a round in somewhere but as a single I can't get on anywhere. Thought I had someone else on the cruise interested but it was too expensive for them.

I'll email you. Might be a chance you can play with us, but it's not a links course where I play. Nice course though.:)

Tavern Tom? Well I've been called worse, but not sure where that came from. LOL!

It's actually Tabley Street. Unless you're on a mega-tight budget, or you have no luggage, I'd advise you get a taxi from the train station to the hostel. I didn't know that was there. A lot of new development has gone on in that area. It looks good, and the prices are ridiculous!! Good location. The new Liverpool 1 shopping centre is very adjacent to it if you like shopping. You might also enjoy the yellow Duckmarine tour, which goes from Albert Dock. T:)

I don't know where that came from, Towncar T - sorry! ;) We are going to NYC/Liverpool/London for 11 days, so I'm easily getting things mixed up, I suppose. Yes, the price was wonderful, and I believe it includes breakfast! I don't even want to say what accommodations in NYC and London are costing us!

I don't know where that came from, Towncar T - sorry! ;) We are going to NYC/Liverpool/London for 11 days, so I'm easily getting things mixed up, I suppose. Yes, the price was wonderful, and I believe it includes breakfast! I don't even want to say what accommodations in NYC and London are costing us!

Having been to London and NYC (NYC is the most expensive hotel accommodation I've ever seen!) I know what you mean. I looked at the YHA site and not only does itinclude breakfast, but it's a hot buffet breakfast too, so you can eat your fill!

I was in the city centre earlier today with 15 minutes to kill before a meeting so I took a walk down Stanley Street to see the Eleanor Rigby hotel and sculpture. It's a great photo op. Also it's only less than 50 yards walk into Matthew Street, which you just have to see. It's where the Cavern Club WAS (the original was knocked down but there is a good re-creation in Matthew Street) Be careful. There is somewhere called the Cavern PUB, which is there too, but it's just trying to get the tourists in and has no Beatles connection. There's another photo op at the top of Matthew Street next to a lifesize sculpture of a young John Lennon. There are Beatles-themed shops and stuff there too. Good place to kill an hour if you're a Beatles nut. You probably know, but the Cavern CLUB is where the Beatles' career really took off in Liverpool.

If you have an email address then I'll email you my cellphone number in case I'm in the city when you're there. You can also ring if you need any help when you're here.:)

...If you have an email address then I'll email you my cellphone number in case I'm in the city when you're there. You can also ring if you need any help when you're here.:)

Yes, Mathew Street is a definite destination! Thanks for the good tips on photo ops - we will know what to look for. Our train arrives around 13:00, so after settling in at the YHA, I think we may go straight there and then dinner at a pub. Any suggestions? And buffet breakfast at the YHA - hooray!

Email is moviedoctor@hotmail.com We depart Saturday to our first stop - NYC. Thanks!

Yes, Mathew Street is a definite destination! Thanks for the good tips on photo ops - we will know what to look for. Our train arrives around 13:00, so after settling in at the YHA, I think we may go straight there and then dinner at a pub. Any suggestions? And buffet breakfast at the YHA - hooray!

Email is moviedoctor@hotmail.com We depart Saturday to our first stop - NYC. Thanks!

We don't generally eat at pubs in the city centre so I don't know many. If it's particularly a pub you want then you shouldn't have much trouble. There are a lot of them in the centre and you can pick one you like. There's a restaurant that we use if we want a quick meal before the theatre. It's called Caesar's Palace and it's on Ranelagh Street (I assume you will have a map of the entre). It's a sort of American-themed restaurant and the food is good. The prices are very reasnable too. It might be a good place to go if your daughter is getting sick of fish and chips and steak & kidney pie! Like I said, we like a restaurant called Gusto in Albert Dock. If you want to splash the cash then Panoramic has stuning views over the city.

I emailed you last night with the number. Let me know if you got it. T:)It's a great trip you have planned. Three of my favourite cities in the world. Have you been to NYC or London before?

I emailed you last night with the number. Let me know if you got it. T:)It's a great trip you have planned. Three of my favourite cities in the world. Have you been to NYC or London before?

Hi Tom - Yes I got it. In fact, I just emailed you back. My daughter and I went to NYC about 5 years ago, but it was with a school group - very rushed. Still, we really liked it. Never been to London, but my daughter has wanted to go ever since she was a little girl; she's always been an anglophile, even before she got interested in the Beatles. Hubby's never been to any of the places. Christine

Here's a great post from another thread. It contains lots of interesting information on the history of the city to add to your enjoyment of the place.

King John's letters patent of 1207 announced the foundation of the borough of Liverpool, but by the middle of the 16th century the population was still only around 500. The original street plan of Liverpool is said to have been designed by King John near the same time it was granted a royal charter, making it a borough. The original seven streets were laid out in a H shape:

Bank Street (now Water Street)

Castle Street

Chapel Street

Dale Street

Juggler Street (now High Street)

Moor Street (now Tithebarn Street)

Whiteacre Street (now Old Hall Street)

Liverpool's history means that there are a considerable variety of architectural styles found there. Its role as a major port in the British Empire means that many of the finest buildings in the city were built as headquarters for shipping firms and insurance companies, whilst the great wealth this afforded the city allowed the development of grand civic buildings, designed to allow the local administrators to 'run the city with pride'.[40]

There are over 2,500 listed buildings in Liverpool (of which 26 are Grade I listed and 85 are Grade II* listed)[41] and only the UK capital London, has more

In 2004, Liverpool's waterfront was declared as a UNESCOWorld Heritage site, reflecting the city's importance in the development of the world's trading system and dock technology.[44]

The docks are central to Liverpool's history, with the best-known being Albert Dock: the first enclosed, non-combustible dock warehouse system in the world and is built in cast iron, brick and stone. It was designed by Jesse Hartley. Restored in the 1980s, the Albert Dock has the largest collection of Grade I listed buildings in Britain. Part of the old dock complex is now the home to the Merseyside Maritime Museum (an Anchor Point of ERIH, The European Route of Industrial Heritage), the International Slavery Museum and the Tate Liverpool. Other relics of the dock system include the Stanley Dock Tobacco Warehouse, which at the time of its construction in 1901, was the world's largest building in terms of area, and is still the world's largest brick-work building

The Pier Head is the most famous image of Liverpool, the location of the Three Graces (a fairly recent phrase), three of Liverpool's most recognisable buildings. In order from north to south they are:

The Royal Liver Building, built in the early 1900s and surmounted by two bronze domes with a Liver Bird (the symbol of Liverpool) on each.

The Cunard Building, the headquarters of the former Cunard shipping company.

The Port of Liverpool Building, the home of the former Mersey Docks and Harbour Board which regulated the city's docks.

In front of these buildings at the water's edge are the memorials to the men of the merchant navy who sailed out of the port during both World Wars. Memorials to the British mariners, Norwegian, Dutch and to the thousands of Chinese seamen who manned Britain's ships cluster together here. Perhaps most interesting is the Chinese memorial to the men forcibly deported from the city after World War Two and to the families they left behind

Liverpool's wealth as a port city enabled the construction of two enormous cathedrals, both dating from the 20th century. The Anglican Cathedral, which was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and plays host to the annual Liverpool Shakespeare Festival, has one of the longest naves, largest organs and heaviest and highest peals of bells in the world. The Roman CatholicMetropolitan Cathedral, on Mount Pleasant next to Liverpool Science Park was initially planned to be even larger. Of Sir Edwin Lutyens' original design, only the crypt was completed. The cathedral was eventually built to a simpler design by Sir Frederick Gibberd; while this is on a smaller scale than Lutyens' original design, it still manages to incorporate the largest panel of stained glass in the world

Some of Liverpool's landmarks are better known for their oddness rather than for their role. The Williamson Tunnels are architecturally unique as being the largest underground folly in the world. The Philharmonic Dining Rooms are noteworthy for their ornate Victorian toilets, which have become a tourist attraction in their own right.

The Mersey Ferry continues to provide an important link between Liverpool and the Wirral, as well as a tourist attraction. Made famous by the song Ferry Cross the Mersey by Gerry & The Pacemakers, the song is now played on the ferryboats themselves every time they prepare to dock at Liverpool after a tourist cruise.

In 2003, Liverpool was named a European Capital of Culture for 2008.

A number of notable authors have visited Liverpool including Daniel Defoe, Washington Irving, Thomas De Quincey, Herman Melville, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Charles Dickens, and Gerald Manley Hopkins all of whom spent extended periods in the city.

Liverpool was the centre in the 1960's of Merseybeat and since then has been home to a music scene. The city is also home to the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, headquartered in the Philharmonic Hall, and to a youth orchestra. Sir Edward Elgar dedicated his famous Pomp and Circumstance No.1, Land of Hope and Glory, to the Liverpool Orchestral Society, and the piece had its first performance in the city in 1901.

Liverpool has more galleries and national museums than any other city in the United Kingdom apart from London[59]. The Tate Liverpool gallery houses the modern art collection of the Tate in the North of England and was, until the opening of Tate Modern, the largest exhibition space dedicated to modern art in the United Kingdom. The FACT centre hosts touring multimedia exhibitions, whilst the Walker Art Gallery houses an extensive collection of Pre-Raphaelites. Sudley House contains another major collection of pre 20th century art.[60], and the number of galleries continues to expand: Ceri Hand Gallery opened in 2008, exhibiting primarily contemporary art, and Liverpool University's Victoria Building was re-opened as a public art gallery and museum to display the University's artwork and historical collections which include the second-largest display of art by Audubon outside the US

Liverpool is home to two Premier League football clubs–Liverpool F.C. and Everton. Liverpool is the only English city to have staged top division football every single season since the formation of the Football League in 1888, and both of the city's clubs play in high-capacity stadiums.

Liverpool F.C. are the most successful team in English football, having won 18 league titles, seven FA Cups, seven League Cups, five European Cups and three UEFA Cups. They formed in 1892 and have spent their entire history at the Anfield stadium

Everton are the older of Liverpool's two professional football clubs. They have been league champions nine times, FA Cup winners five times and European Cup Winners' Cup winners once. Many high profile players have worn the Everton shirt. These include Dixie Dean (who scored a record 60 goals in a single league season), Tommy Lawton, Brian Labone, Ray Wilson, Alan Ball (who both featured in England'sWorld Cup winning side of 1966), Neville Southall, Andy Gray, Gary Lineker, Andrei Kanchelskis, Dave Watson and Wayne Rooney.

Couple of points of note - the municipal and national museums located in liverpool are free to visit - including the Tate Liverpool, Liverpool Museum, Walker Art Gallery, also I think, the Maritime Museum. One further gallery and area not mentioned is Port Sunlight on the Wirral, accessible by train direct from James St Station which is very close to the Pier Head. Lovely art gallery set in a model urban village created by Lord Leverhulme, the founder of Lever Brothers (now Unilever) for the workers at his soap factory. A fascinating slice of social history and town planning. Liverpool and Merseyside are full of such hidden gems ....... also, why not visit Southport if you have the time (again, easily accessible by train) to get a feel for the genteel quintissential victorian seaside town with its elegant shops and parades.

TOWNCAR T...many thanks for the golf offer, but think I will pass up on that one. Want to see some of the City, museums etc. Also got a tour of Liverpool Police HQ organised.

Many thanks again for your advice on things to see and do in Liverpool. As I can see by the posts a lot appreciate it also.

Edited by NSWP

TOWNCAR T...many thanks for the golf offer, but think I will pass up on that one. Want to see some of the City, museums etc. Also got a tour of Liverpool Police HQ organised.

Many thanks again for your advice on things to see and do in Liverpool. As I can see by the posts a lot appreciate it also.

No problem. I'm playing more golf than Greg Norman at the moment, so I won't go short. It's a pleasure to help. I guessed by your screen name that you were a cop. The Police HQ is only a very short distance from the dock and easily walkable in a few minutes. More than one tourist has seen the inside of it, but I guess you'll get the VIP treatment! Enjoy our city.:)

• 2 weeks later...

A few people have asked me about our local dish, scouse (rhymes with house). It's a sort of lamb stew, similar to Irish stew. It's also the dish that gives us Scousers (natives of Liverpool) our nickname. If you want to try a dish while you are here, there are a few places that sell it, but not very many. Here is a link to an article I read recently. Aparently the scouse at Malmaison is very nice, but beware. I just looked at their online menu and it's nearly £11 a dish, plus tip!!

http://www.liverpoolconfidential.com/index.asp?Sessionx=IpqiNwEiIpqkIwy6IHqjNwB6IA

:)T

I would give the Malmaison a miss and try the Beehive pub in the City Centre - proper Scouse cooked by Scousers!

Debbie:)

Great! Am I right in thinking the Beehive is in that street between Church Street and Lord Street? If so, it's very accessible from the pier head. I have to admit that I've never eaten scouse anywhere other than at home so I didn't have a clue where to get it in town. We learn something new every day!:)

Great! Am I right in thinking the Beehive is in that street between Church Street and Lord Street? If so, it's very accessible from the pier head. I have to admit that I've never eaten scouse anywhere other than at home so I didn't have a clue where to get it in town. We learn something new every day!:)

Yes that's right it's on Paradise Street opposite McDonalds just before the start of Liverpool One. I'm sure that at least one of the pubs on Mathew Street will also sell Scouse but don't hold me to that.

Debbie:)