Snorkeling in St. Thomas and Grand Turk

NJ04SS

The spot where we snorkeled in St. Thomas wasn't very good but I heard that other sites were much better. So avoid the Shipwreck snorkel excursion if you are on the Destiny. Yeah the water was warm and fairly clear but there just weren't very many fish or much else.

Hi Randall - Sorry to hear you missed GT! Where did you snorkel in St. John? Did you snorkel at any other ports?

Hi,

Sorry to have missed a few posts on this topic.... We snorkeled on St. Johns, USVI. Went to Trunk Bay. Nice beach with few snorkelers that day. Swam with a 2ft. turtle almost right off the bat and lots of fish. But by afternoon the swell brought in a lot of particulates and the vis dropped to a light fog. It was time to get out anyway. :) Wasn't Grand Turk but it was water. BTW, Blue Water Divers felt bad that we got to within a few hundred yards without docking so they refunded me the entire cost of the dive (only guarantee 50% back). Nice people.

Randall

That was nice of them, We are considering taking Blue Water divers next week in GT but they require at least 8 people to have just snorkelers on the boat/snorkel excursion and we can't seem to round up any more to join our party of 4. :(

Id love to go out on a boat snorkel trip, it is what I usually do. But this trip it is with just one friend and she is afraid to snorkle except off beach. Is Governer's beach any good at all for this on GT? Or should we go to pillory beach? :) (I am cruising on Carnival Liberty on 11/28/09). Thanks for any advice anyone can give! Judy

Emerald Beach is a beautiful beach for laying out and drinking, but not the best snorkeling. Coki is a smaller beach and the locals from that area have taken it over and will not leave you alone. Sapphire is a very nice beach with a reef close to the shore. I've noticed the reef is getting damaged from people who are standing and kicking it. But, it's still very very nice. Please be nice to our corals! Look, don't touch.

Btw... our sister island is called St. JOHN, not St. Johns. There's a lot of miles in between the two.

Id love to go out on a boat snorkel trip, it is what I usually do. But this trip it is with just one friend and she is afraid to snorkle except off beach. Is Governer's beach any good at all for this on GT? Or should we go to pillory beach? :) (I am cruising on Carnival Liberty on 11/28/09). Thanks for any advice anyone can give! Judy

Snorkel53 - I heard that the hurricane's have damaged much of GT's reefs. Governors Beach has some reef balls now so you may see some fish but overall it sounds like it's not a lot to look at. If you really want to snorkel it sounds like you may want to book an excursion. We ended up getting the group of 8 through our roll call so we booked with Blue Water divers. I'll post a review when I get back (we'll be there next week).

As far as Sapphire - I agree the beach is nice, the snorkeling is OK. We enjoyed our time there. And yes... like Scuba Laura said.... Pleeeeeeease be nice to the coral!!!! If you're going to stand make sure there's sand underneath you!!

Jessie073, thanks for the advice. I have snorkeled for many years and know that touching the coral in any way is bad for the precious coral. Coral reefs all over the world are being injured and parts of it dying which is such a terrible thing. Thanks again for all of you that gave me advice. Judy

Jessie073, thanks for the advice. I have snorkeled for many years and know that touching the coral in any way is bad for the precious coral. Coral reefs all over the world are being injured and parts of it dying which is such a terrible thing. Thanks again for all of you that gave me advice. Judy

I know it's terrible - some places, like Trunk Bay I don't think will ever recover. Just 3 more days until I leave so I will post about Sapphire (we may visit Coki too) and my snorkel excursion in Grand Turk when I return :)

I know it's terrible - some places, like Trunk Bay I don't think will ever recover. Just 3 more days until I leave so I will post about Sapphire (we may visit Coki too) and my snorkel excursion in Grand Turk when I return :)

Happy sailing and tell Monica at BWD that Randall from New York State said, "Sorry I didn't get to dive with them last month because of the winds but look forward to diving with them in the future!" I'm so jealous. :p

Randall

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all - just got back from my cruise TODAY!!! We had a great time and perfect weather. Here's my review of the 2 ports:

Grand Turk

We ended up getting the group of 8 together through our roll call and took the snorkel excursion with Blue Water Divers. Had a great time and the tour was definitely worth the $30pp! They use large covered Carolina Skiffs which work out well for getting in and out of the boat. For our first stop Mitch took us out to the wall. This was absolutely amazing and a must see. Its sand bottom and approx 40 ft where you get out of the boat. We swam out a short distance to the wall which is built up with very alive and colorful coral. The depth at the top of the wall is approx. 30-35 ft. The water was a little deep here so this may not be comfortable for a beginner but there were lots of fish and very healthly coral. It definitely made the trip for us! Everyone in our group seemed to really enjoy it and had no problem going out there, but I can see where this might be a little scary for some, especially a beginner.

Our second stop took us to a spot just off of Governors beach. The water was about 15 feet and we saw quite a few small coral clusters with fish. This spot may have been a little disappointing for us except that we did end up seeing a lion fish and an eel at one of the clusters.

Overall we had a great time with Blue Water Divers and the trip to the wall alone made it worthwhile. My only complaint (and its a small one) is that I wish they had a cooler with some cold drinks on the boat.

We did talk to another couple who had taken the ultimate snorkel (through the ship) and they said that the tour took them over the wall but they did not get to get out and snorkel there. They also had quite a few beginners on their tour and were taken to some very shallow spots (So again we were glad we ended up booking with Blue Water Divers)

Governors Beach - we noticed from where we stopped by boat to snorkel that this area was definitley swimable from shore. So if you are not interested in going out to the wall, Governors Beach is just a short walk up from the cruise ship terminal and there are definitely alive clusters of coral and fish to see. There was also a cage structure there for a reef that is being built and our guide said they had put down reef balls (although what we saw were regular coral clusters). It's not the best snorkeling we've seen by any means but there is definitely coral and fish to see for anyone interested in snorkeling from shore. (We would definitely go there if we were not taking a tour)

St. Thomas

Since there were 4 of us we ended up renting a car this trip and headed to Coki and Sapphire. This was our first time going to Coki. The beach was small and clean. The water was extremely clear and calm. The snorkeling was not great - some rocks and fish but not really a lot of coral or anything else to see. Oh, we did see quite a few little flounder on the sand bottom. The we headed to Sapphire. We've been to Sapphire before and always enjoy our time there. The beach is big, clean and the water is very clear. Some coral, rocks and fish to see but what really made this trip was the sea turtles. Out in the grass area near the center of the beach we saw a few sea turtles. They stayed out there for a while and where not afraid. It was really an amazing site! So overall, IMO Sapphire is definitely the better choice for snorkeling and the sea turtles definitely made our day!

Jessie

Jessie073, Thanks for the info about snorkling on GT and St. Thomas! Sounds like you had a great time. My friend has agreed to do one boat snorkle trip and the other from the beach. So your review helps alot!

Any day cruising is great, with the right layed back attitude. Although I have learned alot about lounge chair hogs on the ships. That should be interesting-I wouldnt want to cause problems but I think after an hour or so, it wouldnt bother me to claim a lounge with a towel on it. What towel?

:) Thanks again, Judy

Jessie073 --

We are thinking about booking Blue Water Divers' snorkel tour to the Wall in Grand Turk. We are very comfortable swimming in deep water. Our only concern is that the reef will be too far below us to really see anything. (One of us busted an eardrum last summer, so can't dive down.) How was it viewing the reef from above as a snorkler? How far above the reef are you?

Thanks for your help.

Jessie073 --

We are thinking about booking Blue Water Divers' snorkel tour to the Wall in Grand Turk. We are very comfortable swimming in deep water. Our only concern is that the reef will be too far below us to really see anything. (One of us busted an eardrum last summer, so can't dive down.) How was it viewing the reef from above as a snorkler? How far above the reef are you?

Thanks for your help.

ebseckar - the reef was about 30-35 ft below you at the wall area. The visibility was very good so you could definitely see the coral and the fish but of course, due to the depth you are obviously not getting a close up look. Over the sand area I did see fish as well and a sting ray laying in the sand. Snorkeling is definitely better up close but what made this spot so amazing was definitely being able to see the wall/drop off. The 2nd stop we made was in about 15 feet of water and you could definitely see the coral better. The green eel we saw at this spot was amazing. I will ask my hubby to post a couple underwater pics tonight so you can get an idea about the view and the depth.

Jessie

I will ask my hubby to post a couple underwater pics tonight so you can get an idea about the view and the depth.

Jessie

Here's a link to some of the Grand Turk snorkel pics - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2012196&id=1101174377&l=6f16627b04

Not sure how good of an idea you can get about the depth. I have a few videos that probably show the depth better but I haven't uploaded them to YouTube yet.

Here's a link to some of the Grand Turk snorkel pics - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2012196&id=1101174377&l=6f16627b04

Not sure how good of an idea you can get about the depth. I have a few videos that probably show the depth better but I haven't uploaded them to YouTube yet.

Great pictures, going to GT in November and plan to snorkel while there and on all the port stops!:D

The deeper pics are at the wall area. The clearer/close-up pics are from the 2nd stop near Governors Beach.

Hey Jessie,

Glad you had a great time! Mitch and Monica are the best. I don't know if Mitch told you but he also plays in a band in the evenings at one of the local drinking establishments. What a life! BTW, if you didn't know the last two fish in your gallery are a "whitespotted filefish" and a "sand diver" or more commonly known as a "lizard fish" (for obvious reasons).

By the next time you go you'll have to get scuba certified. Then you can spend time "on the wall" instead of above it. :D Down the wall you'll find turtles, crabs, lobsters and lots of other interesting creatures (not to mention the cool feeling of "hovering". You feel like superman (uh superwoman) as you swim along suspended in mid-water.

Thanks for the pictures,

Randall

Hi Randall - thanks for the info. We have seen the lizard fish, actually we catch them fairly often when fishing in Florida but wasn't sure about the other.

Mitch did mention he played in a band, he was actually playing that night after our excursion - like you said, what a life! I may consider getting certified one of these days, I don't know why but I seem to feel "safer" at the top :D

Jessie

By the next time you go you'll have to get scuba certified. Then you can spend time "on the wall" instead of above it. :D Down the wall you'll find turtles, crabs, lobsters and lots of other interesting creatures (not to mention the cool feeling of "hovering". You feel like superman (uh superwoman) as you swim along suspended in mid-water.

I couldn't agree more :) Let's get certified so poor little me doesn't have to hold my breath and do all the swimming up and down and up and down :).

Coki is next to the aquarium. The fish are used to being fed and will come up to you. The water is much much calmer than Sapphire. The beach has more locals and island flavor than Sapphire. The coral and fish are about the same. I've never seen turtles or a barracuda there like I have at Sapphire. You have to get off the shores to really see the beautiful coral in the Virgin Islands. There were lockers there when we went, or else have someone in your group watch your things when you are in the water. Have fun!

Loved the pictures and also the fun video-thanks so much. It gets my heart racing and helps bring back memories of my years of snorkeling. I was going to get certified for diving years ago and somehow never did it. Now I feel too old-I am happy with every glimpse into this magical world. I will never ever forget my first time putting my mask into the water and the new world I had only seen in pictures. I remember laughing into my snorkle, it just didnt seem that so much beauty could be possible on this earth that I now was in the middle of.

It was in Hawaii on a rocky beach on Maui about 25 years ago. I have never seen that good of snorkeling since in Hawaii. But then I went to Grand Cayman and was super dazzled out at Coral Gardens, Cozumel , etc. I cant wait to see this magical world again at Grand Turk, and St Thomas. Many of us love and want to protect the precious coral, and the life around the coral.

Archived