Best Sea Sickness Medicine?

OneNewTexan

I have a perscription for Transderm Scoplomen Patch, it's good for 72 hours. You alternate sides at each patch change. I have to say, If you do have a drink, one is all I need. (it does have some draw backs, dry mouth, slight sleepy hang over in am, and slight vision distortion.

Dr. say's it's to strong for me I weight 103 lbs. So he started me on Scopace pill, I take 2 to 3 a day, It works fast. and its continuis in your system. I dont seem to have any side effects, except for dry mouth. I don't take it if we have flat waters.

Happy Cruising

I have been wondering about the Scopace pill. I have used the patch on several cruises, but after this last time, I am afraid to use it anymore. I was never told to alternate sides as I changed out the patch and don't know if that had anything to do with it. We flew to FL a day early, and I wanted to put the patch on ahead of time, in case the flight made me sick. So altogether, I wore the patch (changing out every 3 days but putting it in the same spot) for 10 days. After I took it off, I had the worst headache of my life for 10 days straight! It was so bad, I was practically bedridden for those 10 days. Then it took me another couple of weeks to get completely over it. Research told me that what I had was withdrawal symptoms from the patch. :eek:

I am NOT tiny like you, but I don't think the patch is right for me anymore. It sounds like the pill is working well for you. I like the fact that you don't have to continually have the medicine going into your system when waters are calm. Normally, I have the most trouble on the first sea day of the cruise and not so much afterward. Are there any differences between how you feel when using the pill vs the patch? Thanks.

I took Bonine, Dramamine, sea bands, the patch, Tums, Mylanta,Pepto Bis, Immodium tylenol, cold meds for possible sea sickness or illness. Luckily I did not need anything. I think keeping your belly full helps. I took apples and bagels from the buffet every day just in case. Some cruisers say they are great aid in helping sea sickness. Ginger supposely helps too. Everyone is different so I take some of all.

I suggest you take it all to be on the safe side in case you need any and try whatever works best for you if you do get sick so your cruise isn't ruin. I always take all kinds of stuff so I prepared if we feel under the weather.

Have a great cruise. The weather was the best when we cruised 2 wks ago. Hope you have the same:)

NanaofBKM, I took 1 ginger pill 3x a day, starting the day before. If you forget, you can take them as soon as you start feeling funny, and they work quickly and very, very well. I just got them at my local large chain drug store.

• 3 months later...

the transderm patch is not good to use we had it last year and i lost my eyesight for 2 days dh dn and them had a better time on the ship. and the best thing I heard was to eat Green Apples granny smith kind the greener the better and ginger... I bought on board some Sugar Glazed Ginger I like the taste and its always good to have anyways... the sea band works well too and also they have mecliazine in strips to take as you feel ill... its like mouthwash strips sweet too.

one of those every 8 hours not bad for 7.00 a box... still better than staying home

my own oppinion:)

I take the ship's mezcliazine right before bed on the first night and carry Candied Ginger (the stuff you put into fruit cakes) with me. Don't like to chew gum.

If I get the sick feeling then it is green apples and clear soda. On HAL the Yum Yum man has apples and ginger 'mints' in the front of the dining room.

I brought on ginger capsules, candied ginger, bonine, dramamine & scopalamine patches for our transatlantic crossing. If the seas are rough I can get very nauseous. I needed only ginger capsules or an occasional bonine for much of the trip, and in the middle of the atlantic the seas were smooth as glass. After we left Madeira we hit very rough water on the way to La Coruna - go figure that the water in the middle of the atlantic would be calm compared to the coastline! I used the patch (it takes a good 4 hours to start working) and all the other stuff but sometimes I still got sick. Green apples and ginger ale really did help, as well as trying to eat a little something even if you don't feel like it.

One evening my son was too ill to come to dinner, our waiter recommended he get some green apples from room service. That with the bonine and he was fine before long.

Next cruise I will probably buy the battery operated sea bands - if it works it will be worth the money.

Does ANY green-skinned apple work? Or do they mean green as in not yet ready to eat? I usually take bonine & ginger capsules, also tried ginger gum this past cruise and had no problems.

I'm not sure, I only had the green apples offered by room service. Although once our cabin attendant, Alexander, bless his heart brought a bowl of 4 for us. They didn't seem tiny & sour like really under mature apples would be.

I'm not sure, I only had the green apples offered by room service. Although once our cabin attendant, Alexander, bless his heart brought a bowl of 4 for us. They didn't seem tiny & sour like really under mature apples would be.

That's good...it wouldn't make much sense to get sick from an unripe apple that you took to keep you from getting sick!! I didn't know the crew would bring you some. Maybe that's why they serve green apples in the buffet??

Archived