Getting to the ship in Venice

Get yourself a map of Venice, the island of Lido is not where the ship leaves from. I originally was looking at hotels there too, for budget constraints. Upon reading all the info on this website, I changed to the Piazzale Roma for my hotel, and so glad I did.

We did purchase a vaporetto pass and did take the trip over to Lido, just to see it. I think the ride from San Marco was about 30 minutes. The return seemed like only 20 minutes. ON another day, we took the wrong vaporetto from Piazzale Roma and ended up on the vaporetto for over an hour making all the local stops at all the outer islands, so be careful when you board a vaporetto and be sure to ask the destination.

This might help

http://www.italy-map.net/maps/map_venice.php

The cruise ship pier is at the left side of Venice and Lido is on the right side. The Venezia Sestiere Santa Croce and Venezia Sestiere Dorsoduro are where the pier is, and the blue lines are the vaporetto routes. You can see you are quite a distance from the ship pier and Venice proper, by being on the Lido island.

If you are looking for convenience, I would definitely change your hotel.

Thank you, Hank. It was helpful. We changed to a different hotel but a few blocks behind San Marcos. It doesn't look too bad to walk from there or a cab. I wanted Lido at first b/c it's very pretty to stay there, but not convenient you are right.

bjrose;)

• 2 weeks later...
The question was asked about getting from Lido to the port...which is no easy task. You can do it by taking a Vaporetto to Piazale Roma from where you can get a land taxi, the 6/ public bus, or you can even walk if you like to hike with luggage. We have never seen the wisdom of staying on Lido (other than some reasonable prices) since you must spend a lot of time going to and fro on Vaporettos. Personally, we think it makes more sense to look for a lower cost hotel (they do exist) in Venice where everything is a lot closer.

Hank

Hi Hank, Just FYI, I decided to change hotels as you mentioned and others too. I booked one at Piazzale Roma so we won't have any hassles the next day getting to the port.

Thanks for the advice.

Bjrose;)

Archived