Best eats in NOLA?

clover_cruiser

I see they have a jazz brunch on Sundays - - how is this?

Muriel's Jazz Brunch is good - but if you want excellent I'd recommend either the Palace Cafe or Commander's Palace. They are both top of the line. Mid-level would be Muriel's and Court of Two Sisters (buffet).

• 3 weeks later...
"Mother's" was a fave of mine and my hubby! Priced right' date=' good food, cool location.[/quote']

My husband & I must be the only ones that didn't love Mother's! Went late at night & it was the dirtiest place I've ever eaten in! Again, maybe because it was late & they have food flying as they're dishing it out, but gosh...clean up at some point!

My husband & I must be the only ones that didn't love Mother's! Went late at night & it was the dirtiest place I've ever eaten in! Again, maybe because it was late & they have food flying as they're dishing it out, but gosh...clean up at some point!

You're not alone - I have never been able to see what people like about Mother's - I gave it three tries and wasn't happy with any of them. I don't recommend it, but have come to accept the fact that it's one of those restaurants that some just love.

My favorite place is Maspero's. Pre Katrina we would get there before 11:00 AM because after that the lines would literally be long enough to wrap around the corner street. Here is a link to them:

Original Pierre Maspero's

www.pierremasperosrestaurant.com

601 Decatur St

New Orleans, LA 70130-1029

(504) 524-8990

For some reason the national food writers have over-hyped Willie Mae's. Its been there for years and never got any attention before Katrina. I don't understand why anybody would come to New Orleans, go into a suspect area, and eat fried chicken. There's lots better food available in much nicer surroundings.

Because it is absolutely the best fried chicken on the planet! Even better than my mother-in-law's! I will agree that it's a little off the beaten path for tourists, but as a local, that is fine with me.

No disrespect to Pat O's, but I have to put my $.02 in about the best hurricanes in New Orleans - Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop at the corner of Bourbon and St Philip. Hands Down! And that is all I have to say about that.

And they make a wicked Voodoo, too.

• 1 month later...

Did a quick check and couldn't find a reference to these restaurants yet........

Did some research and a lot of people are suggesting Mothers as a place to go for Po-boys, but I also found "Johnny's Po-boys" and it also got some excellent reviews....just looking for some input.

thanks in advance.

Did a quick check and couldn't find a reference to these restaurants yet........

Did some research and a lot of people are suggesting Mothers as a place to go for Po-boys, but I also found "Johnny's Po-boys" and it also got some excellent reviews....just looking for some input.

thanks in advance.

I'm not a Mother's fan - but love Johnny's!!!

thanks in advance.

I think DH & I are going to try Johnny's this year. Johnny's for po-boys and Lafittes for a hurricane.:D

Dianne

I agree with Map: Mother's is grossly overrated. I have never been able to finish one of their sandwiches, and not because of lack of appetite. Part of the reason that they are so successful, I think, is that there isn't a lot of competition in the area.

I also think that Maspero's is a tourist trap, but that's just me. The line to get in for one of those mediocre sandwiches is amazing.

The best poorboy sandwich joints are in the suburbs, but Johnny's has the best in the French Quarter. Ask for extra gravy.

I agree with Map: Mother's is grossly overrated. I have never been able to finish one of their sandwiches, and not because of lack of appetite. Part of the reason that they are so successful, I think, is that there isn't a lot of competition in the area.

I also think that Maspero's is a tourist trap, but that's just me. The line to get in for one of those mediocre sandwiches is amazing.

The best poorboy sandwich joints are in the suburbs, but Johnny's has the best in the French Quarter. Ask for extra gravy.

Thanks for the info.

I remember eating about the best gulf seafood and poorboys I thought I could ever eat back in 1980 when my BIL took us to a local restaurant in NO. Can only rememer that the place was like a family restaurant out near a levy, somewhere away from downtown.

Don't even know if that restaurant from years past is still there now. Not even sure what part of town we were in back then.

Since we're only in NO for a cruise for such a short time before and after a cruise I do like getting recommendations from those of you who live there.

dianne

Our tastes must be similar - I also wouldn't wait in line for Maspero's. I've been OK with the food there, but IMHO it's nothing special.

Thanks for the info.

I remember eating about the best gulf seafood and poorboys I thought I could ever eat back in 1980 when my BIL took us to a local restaurant in NO. Can only rememer that the place was like a family restaurant out near a levy, somewhere away from downtown.

Don't even know if that restaurant from years past is still there now. Not even sure what part of town we were in back then.

Since we're only in NO for a cruise for such a short time before and after a cruise I do like getting recommendations from those of you who live there.

dianne

Jack Dempsey's maybe? We used to love to go there, but I'm not sure if they're even open anymore.

Jack Dempsey's maybe? We used to love to go there, but I'm not sure if they're even open anymore.
I checked out JD's website. It could have been the one.

The menu's different but that was 30 years ago. Where we were had a shrimp basket (or boat) that was a carved out loaf of bread, buttered and toasted, filled with tempura style battered shrimp. I only remember one set of steps going up to the building. All of the tables and chairs were like unmatched 1950's kitchen table sets.

286053567_9c574f2978.jpg

• 1 month later...
Does anyone have any good non Seafood Restuarant suggestions? I know we won't be taking advantage of the true local cuisine, but we are just not seafood fans.

Has anyone been to Mr. B's Bistro? This place looks promising to me.

We were at Mr. B's in 2005 and it was really good. The service was absolutely stellar. We had the shrimp and grits and some sort of irish cream bread pudding for dessert. It was really, really good. There was a restaurant called Petunia's that had the best breakfast but I think it may have closed down. I also heard that Casamento's is really good as well. Olivier's near the House of Blues was also quite good.

• 3 weeks later...

The Holiday Inn is on the western edge of the CBD, and there isn't much nearby. All of the good places are in the French Quarter/Warehouse District. It isn't a long walk, but I would be careful at night. That area is pretty deserted after dark.

I've only been back once since Katrina, but really enjoyed Coops on Decatur(?) across from Margaritaville for the red beans & rice with sausage, and my brother loved their chicken for lunch; and my wife and I are looking forward to visiting Adolpho's on Frenchman - garlic soup and NY Strip. Cafe du Monde for sure, and also am a fan of the Central Grocery... For local flavor we stayed on or near Frenchman for drinks and music, Spotted Cat, Snug Harbor, "R" Bar (also has rooms)...

Does anyone have any good non Seafood Restuarant suggestions? I know we won't be taking advantage of the true local cuisine, but we are just not seafood fans.

Has anyone been to Mr. B's Bistro? This place looks promising to me.

We've eaten both lunch and dinner at Mr. B's Bistro. It's more than promising....food is delicious. Service great! Bloody Mary's are excellent and the Bread Pudding is to die for!

Archived