Best eats in NOLA?

clover_cruiser

They are good, but I prefer the original from Drago's. There is a Drago's location in the Hilton Riverside.

I will have to try Drago's; since I am going back next December and maybe staying at the Doubletree again; it was close to everything; I walked back from Acme to the hotel; would also like to try Red Fish Grill; did anyone try that?

Although it's a bit out from the Quarter on Canal, Mandina's is great for lunch. A friend of mine whom lives in the Quarter calls Mandina's, "The poor man's Galatoire's." It's easy to get to, just hop the Canal Street Car and get off in front of Schoen Funeral Home. I've been there several times.

Our favourites when we are in New Orleans:

Dickie Brennans

The Gumbo Shop

Commanders Palace

Port of Call

Mr. B's Bistro

Clover Grill

Ahhh, the Clover Grill. I understand Earl is no longer there. What a shame; it isn't often you come across a waiter built like a linebacker, who could sing like Liza, and pranced like a Rockette.

One I haven't seen mentioned on this board yet - Emeril Lagasse's NOLA. It is one of only a handful of restaurants that I have eaten at more than once on a visit to NO. It's not cheap though.

My faves are: Commander's Palace, Cafe Du Monde, Central Grocery (get your muffeletta and then get a bottle of wine from the liquor store a couple doors down and eat/drink on the levee and watch the ships go by), NOLA.

We did Mother's for breakfast and it was very filling. I'm not an oyster person, but my sister swears by Acme Oyster House. Felix's is right across the street and their po-boy wasn't too bad.

My DH also liked Mulate's for lunch the times he's been to NO for conventions.

I also liked Court of Two Sisters Sunday brunch - sitting outside under the grapevines (I think that's what they were). Of course those may have been wiped out by Katrina. Last time I was at Court, was in 2001.

So many restaurants and so little time to enjoy them!

• 3 weeks later...

My faves:

Dinners:

GW Fins - it's a must do every time we go

Muriels-hit and miss, but a cool ambience and a great prix fixe menu

Bourbon House-others may not like it, but we do!

Felix's for oysters. Bare bones, great oysters, no line-ups!

Lunches:

Central Grocery for cold muffulettas. I agree with a previous poster. Except I get a frozen daquiri instead of wine. Nothing like eating a messy yummy sandwich and drinking from a go cup while watching the mighty Mississippi!

Napoleon House for warm muffulettas, shrimp salad in an avocado and Pimm's Cups on the patio

El Gato Negro for homemade guacamole and fantastic margaritas, also on the patio

American Sector at the WW2 museum

Haven't been to NOLA since last May, but lucky me I am going in November (Geaux Saints!) and out of there on a cruise in March!:D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived