Luxury Cruise Help!

RoxyChick

Hi there,

I'm so glad I found this site, I'd be in such a muddle if I hadn't.

Basically I'd love some advice regarding luxury cruises.

A bit about us: Myself and hubbie are from London in the UK. We will be celebrating our five year anniversary in July and would love to mark the occasion with a cruise. We're 23 and 26, and have been travelling etc throughout most of the world. We've backpacked, travelled cheaply and would love something different to mark this occasion

We've never done anything like this before, but we do have an idea of what we're looking for.

• All Inclusive - literally everything, drinks, dinner, lunch, breakfast, on board laundry would be great, etc

• Formal nights to dress up, but also restaurants where we can be casual too

• Adult only (or any tips on when to go without their being children everywhere!)

• Opportunity to dine in-room (breakfasts and dinners)

• Relaxed bars and things to do in the evening

• Fantastic service

We could probably afford a MAX of £3k-£4k if it is completely all inclusive.

We're not too fussed about where we go, however bearing in mine we're starting in London we would prefer to start in Europe if possible.

Any help would be great!

I don't believe you are going to find an all inclusive luxury cruise in Europe at the price point you've stated (at least not with those lines that operate using the US $ as their currency). At the current exchange rate, 4,000 GB pounds is a little over 5,000 US dollars. Luxury cruises in Europe are just not available for $2,500/week/person. Sorry!

I agree with Texas Tillie - most cruise prices don't include the bar tab, or they'd be broke. For fantastic, personalized service and an easier time working with the booking agent to get a cruise without any kids, consider a small luxury yacht like those run by Quasar Expeditions. With luck, you might be able to get on the Grace, the yacht once owned by Princess Grace of Monaco. It's really posh.

Have a look at www.pocruises.com. P & O Cruises are the British arm of Princess, and within your budget. (Although drinks are not included in the price.) Artemis and Arcadia are both child-free ships and have European destinations this year.

Do bear in mind that adult-only and/or luxury lines tend to attract older passengers. If you want a younger crowd, you'd be better off to look at Princess or Holland America in the Caribbean or Hawaii, avoiding the school holidays.

Alternatively, you might like to consider a transatlantic voyage from/to Southampton on Queen Mary, with a celebratory break in New York or Boston?

There is no completely all inclusive cruise line. There are a few where all drinks are included, including alcohol, but you'll still have to pay for shore excursions, laundry and other purchases.

Here's a sample of fares for the three "all inclusive" lines out there, for cruises in July.

Seabourn: 12 Day Med: 3941 British Pounds per person

Silversea: 7 day Athens to Istanbul: 3595 British Pounds per person

Regent: 7 day Athens to Istanbul: $4750 US dollars per person

There will not be one all inclusive for the amount of money you want to spend. Plus, the above three lines tend to attract a much older crowd, don't have much in the way of entertainment that people in your age group might like. But, they don't attract many kids at all, have formal nights and have excellent food and service.

Roxy: I don't know if you will find a cruise in the price point you mentioned, but Regent is the most all-inclusive you will find, and YES in addition to ALL drinks, entertainment, etc., self -service laundry rooms are also complimentary! As far as the age demographic, that was also a concern of mine.....NEEDLESSLY! I spent time on board with passengers ranging in age from 25 - 85 and I was by far not the last to turn in at night around 1am.

It seems that the shorter cruises have more younger adults because they usually can't take time off from work for extended periods of time. If you want total relaxation, check out the re-positioning cruises to and from Europe.

My favorite, Seabourn, is wonderful, clubby, not glitzy. But, no balconies which most of us do not miss, in return for wonderful personal attention. Keep checking, there are some bargains out there. Seabourn has at least one departure from Dover, as well. Others are in the Med and from Copenhagen.

what about hebridian cruises. 2ships.all inclusive,and some of their uk cruises are getting in the budget.

A few of the seven day cruises would be within the budget that the OP noted. Some would actually be above the range mentioned.

These ships carry around 50 and 80 passengers respectively and ship are 2K and 4K tons respectively.

Keith

The problem I forsee is that mostly the people who opt for luxury cruises are more likely to be of the age of your parents. If you can accept that--not necesarily a liability--I suggest you look at Regent, which has a number of cruises which start in Dover (what could be easier?) and also several begin in Europe and explore the Baltic and Norwegian fjords et al. The ships are large enough to offer all kinds of activities, but small enough to feel intimate.Every stateroom has a verandah, gratuties are included, and so are all the drinks. Service is of a very high order. Check the itineraries for specifics about dress codes, but you can be formal or informal. The cabins are among the largest and most comfortable afloat. And with their current promotion--free air, free shore excursions--you can probably get in a 10 day cruise at or beneath your budget.

Who knows what you'll find for summer at this point, we're seeing fantastic deals on luxury cruises (go to http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news) -- there'a an interesting item from Friday about really interesting (and frankly bizarre) deals on high end cruises.

Ancient Mariner, thanks for the suggestion but by no means is P&O upscale. Though you make an excellent point about child-free ships.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Have a look at www.pocruises.com. P & O Cruises are the British arm of Princess, and within your budget. (Although drinks are not included in the price.) Artemis and Arcadia are both child-free ships and have European destinations this year.

Do bear in mind that adult-only and/or luxury lines tend to attract older passengers. If you want a younger crowd, you'd be better off to look at Princess or Holland America in the Caribbean or Hawaii, avoiding the school holidays.

Alternatively, you might like to consider a transatlantic voyage from/to Southampton on Queen Mary, with a celebratory break in New York or Boston?

This is a great conundrum, RoxyChick, I'll try to stick my oar in.

You're not going to find exactly what you want with all points included as noted but there are some good options worth exploring for your anniversary....

I'm going to make suggestions based on your requests....

*Re all-inclusive. As otherwise noted, no cruise is completely all inclusive but if you want drinks, and a lot of ancillary extras, check out lines like SeaDream, Regent Seven Seas, Silversea and Seabourn. Some lines offer free laundry but it depends on the cabin category.

*Formal nights: Your best bet is Cunard's Grill Class (Princess and even more upper, Queens) and Crystal. But much is not all-inclusive (though Crystal's offering a new deal that gives people up to $2,000 onboard credit so it's actually kind of inclusive.

*Adult only -- none of these lines offer adult-only-designated voyages but they are also not family-oriented (save for Regent Seven Seas' Mariner in the summer time) so that shouldn't be a huge problem.

*The only line that I mention that doesn't offer much in the way of in-room dining is SeaDream.

*Relaxed bars applies to all of the above but for a nightlife, probably Cunard and Crystal are best -- though I might also suggest something like the Yacht Club on MSC's Fantasia and Splendida. The MSC ships offer the boutique hotel-within-a-big ship so you have the possibility of a really intimate and cozy, rather all-inclusive vibe along with the benefits (nightlife, variety of bars and restaurants) of a big ship.

Let us know what you wind up choosing.

Carolyn

Hi there,

I'm so glad I found this site, I'd be in such a muddle if I hadn't.

Basically I'd love some advice regarding luxury cruises.

A bit about us: Myself and hubbie are from London in the UK. We will be celebrating our five year anniversary in July and would love to mark the occasion with a cruise. We're 23 and 26, and have been travelling etc throughout most of the world. We've backpacked, travelled cheaply and would love something different to mark this occasion

We've never done anything like this before, but we do have an idea of what we're looking for.

• All Inclusive - literally everything, drinks, dinner, lunch, breakfast, on board laundry would be great, etc

• Formal nights to dress up, but also restaurants where we can be casual too

• Adult only (or any tips on when to go without their being children everywhere!)

• Opportunity to dine in-room (breakfasts and dinners)

• Relaxed bars and things to do in the evening

• Fantastic service

We could probably afford a MAX of £3k-£4k if it is completely all inclusive.

We're not too fussed about where we go, however bearing in mine we're starting in London we would prefer to start in Europe if possible.

Any help would be great!

Hebridean is lovely -- I just did Hebridean Spirit and had a great time. But for a 20-something couple celebrating an anniversary with nightlife and restaurant variety -- Hebridean's not right....

Carolyn

what about hebridian cruises. 2ships.all inclusive,and some of their uk cruises are getting in the budget.

go with a transatlantic for cheap fares

all-inclusive (alcohol, tips, etc) cruiselines >

- seabourn

- seadream

- regent

- silversea

seabourn is the only all-inclusive to include 1 shore excursion as well

silversea has started adding dining venues that are not included :thumbsdown:

• 4 weeks later...

We just booked with Regent this week for Baltic/Russia on the Voyager for this August. We are from the states....it was 2-1 pricing, all excursions included, airfare is included but since we were using frequent flyer miles they gave us back $800 per person, all drinks and tips are included. In addition if you have never cruised with Regent before, which we haven't, they also gave us $500 in ship board credit. They are advertising other cruises with similar pricing. Check it out. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...
We just booked with Regent this week for Baltic/Russia on the Voyager for this August. We are from the states....it was 2-1 pricing, all excursions included, airfare is included but since we were using frequent flyer miles they gave us back $800 per person, all drinks and tips are included. In addition if you have never cruised with Regent before, which we haven't, they also gave us $500 in ship board credit. They are advertising other cruises with similar pricing. Check it out. Good Luck!

If the OP is still around (or anyone with the same request), I would suggest SilverSeas PAII. They are young and the expedition ship is really all inclusive with the shore excursions/zodiacs. Besides, they are now offering a lot of sailings at 30-50% off.

• 4 weeks later...

Great comments by everyone, however, the cabin selections have not been mentioned. For some people, the cabin size and amenities might outway other factors, but there is nothing like excellent service, wonderful food and feeling like you have 'found a little bit of heaven.' Cruising is still the best value in my opinion!

Bon Voyage

The largest "regular" suites (according to several travel magazines) is Regent's Voyager and Navigator. The Voyager holds 700 passenges and is all suites with balconies. The suites w/balcony are 356 sq. feet. Navigator has 80% balcony suites (same size). Without the balcony the suite is 301 sq. ft. They are lovely suites with walk-in closets:)

Archived