Queen Mary Hotel - Long Beach ?

Meribeth

We are staying 3 separate nights in April/May before and between cruises,

I too was concerned about reviews and had not intended on booking it,

But price was better than alternatives as was the location.

2 of our cruises are on Carnival ships and 1 on Sapphire Princess.

You have only 1 night booked and if its not perfect will it really matter?

Be prepared to pay a hefty per day parking fee at the queen mary. Their cheapest rooms are small and outdated...but its an experience..remember back in her glory, they took steerage class seriously lol...ask for a deco room with the beautiful wood, etc....

We're taking a cruise out of San Pedro and are thinking of staying one night at the Queen Mary Hotel. We've read good and bad reviews. Has anyone stayed there? Any thought?

Thanks.

Click on these thread/links and read though there for some past reviews and info:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=871280

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=882484

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=843925

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=826594

Though we didn't actually spend the night on the Queen Mary, we took two of the tours last month before our cruise departed. While I LOVED the tours, there is no way I would stay there. The place is outdated and not kept up at all. The wood trim was scraped up, carpets stained in many of the public areas, and there was a mildew smell here and there in certain hallways. We toured most of the decks, and it was at that time that I decided we wouldn't be staying there before a future cruise.

The metal railings outside of the ship were rusted and we couldn't find any working escalators (of course, once you're inside the ship you wouldn't need those escalators anyway). I bet she was BEAUTIFUL in her heyday, and it's just a shame that it has not been well kept. I would recommend the Queen Mary for the tours, but not to sleep.

We're taking a cruise out of San Pedro and are thinking of staying one night at the Queen Mary Hotel. We've read good and bad reviews. Has anyone stayed there? Any thought?

Thanks.

I would suggest staying at the Coast Hotel, just a few hundred yards away! I have stayed there several times over the last few years - super nice stay, great staff!

Loved staying on the QM! Yes, she is an old historical ship. The bed was comfortable, shower was clean, and had a nice view of Long Beach.....what more do you need. Had a blast at the Observation bar and at Vamps Lounge. Will be staying there again this Saturday.

Loved staying on the QM! Yes, she is an old historical ship. The bed was comfortable, shower was clean, and had a nice view of Long Beach.....what more do you need. Had a blast at the Observation bar and at Vamps Lounge. Will be staying there again this Saturday.

Hey Thanks for POSTING!!

I feel much better about our 3 separate nights booked before and in between our 3 up and coming cruises,

The location is good for country folk coming to town isn't it?:)

I heard a couple of weeks ago that the QM will be put up for sale. That may be something to keep in mind if looking for a hotel for the near future.

This is the second time I've seen this posted in regard to the QM, so I thought I'd post the info about this from our local paper, the Downtown Gazette. (this past week's issue).

The QM is NOT for sale. The city owns the ship and the adjacent property. The managing partners interest (Save the Queen) are in default, and that is what is being auctioned off Jan. 28th. This is supposed to be a realignment of the partnership and e company handling the sale of the partnership says it is a realignment of the partnership and will not affect the management, guests of crew members of the ship.

So at this time, it's business as usual to the public at the QM.

Thank you for the clarification-

Travel Agents are still taking bookings

Ours have been confirmed for April and May nights- 3 separate nights

So I am Glad its business as usual,

It took me ages to decide and I don't want to go through that process again

Be prepared to pay a hefty per day parking fee at the queen mary. Their cheapest rooms are small and outdated...but its an experience..remember back in her glory, they took steerage class seriously lol...ask for a deco room with the beautiful wood, etc....

The parking price per night in October of 2008 was $15 a night. We just parked in the parking structure that's used mainly for cruises and walked to the QM. When we returned from our cruise, we just paid for the whole amount at that time. The parking at the QM is outdoor parking.......the parking structure is a 'garage' of sorts, so there's covered parking. If that matters to you. ;)

Archived