2 Days in New Orleans with a 10 year old?

lancashire_cruisers

Hi we'll be in New Orleans for an overnight stop as part of our cruise in Feb/Mar 2010.

A lot of the suggestions for things to do seem to involve alcohol which is obviously a no-no with our DD in tow.

Can anyone suggest some fun family things to do for our 2 day stop in New Orleans??

Debbie:)

Hi we'll be in New Orleans for an overnight stop as part of our cruise in Feb/Mar 2010.

A lot of the suggestions for things to do seem to involve alcohol which is obviously a no-no with our DD in tow.

Can anyone suggest some fun family things to do for our 2 day stop in New Orleans??

Debbie:)

Here are a few family-friendly things we did:

-Catch the ferry to Algiers Point and then ride the free shuttle to Mardi Gras World. They teach you about the history of Mardi Gras, show you the workshops where they design props and floats, let you try on costumes, etc. (3-4 hours)

-Take the streetcar uptown to the zoo. (3-5 hours including streetcar ride)

-Stroll the French Quarter - there are many historic buildings along with art galleries, shops, etc. Get beignets at Cafe du Monde or sample Cajun food at dozens of restaurants. Take a mule-drawn carriage ride through the quarter. (2+ hours depending on how many places you stop at)

If your daughter is into history, there are also tons of guided history tours through the French Quarter and the Garden District, along with plantations you can visit outside the city (tour or car rental required).

Some things we didn't try, but maybe you could look into:

-The aquarium is fairly close to the port, and also has an IMAX theatre.

-You can visit a swamp and look for gators(these are outside the city so would require a tour or car rental)

-Insectarium

-Steamboat Natchez river cruise

-Haunted Tour at night (if your daughter wouldn't get scared)

-Art Museum near City Park (accessible via streetcar)

Here are a few family-friendly things we did:

-Catch the ferry to Algiers Point and then ride the free shuttle to Mardi Gras World. They teach you about the history of Mardi Gras, show you the workshops where they design props and floats, let you try on costumes, etc. (3-4 hours)

I'd agree with the ferry ride, but Mardi Gras World has moved - it's no longer across the river. That being said, my grandkids LOVE to just ride the ferry across the river and back - and it's free for walk-ons. It runs every 30 minutes from early morning to late at night. You catch it right next to the aquarium.

If you like zoos, insectariums or aquariums - all three are good ones. There is also the IMAX by the aquarium - I'd recommend the show Hurricane on the Bayou if you do want an IMAX experience. The aquarium and insectarium is within walking distance of the Quarter - the zoo would require a bus, streetcar, taxi or car - or there is a boat that travels from the aquarium to the zoo once or twice a day.

If you want to do Mardi Gras World (and it IS impressive) you can now take the riverside streetcar to it - it's upriver from the Convention Center. I haven't been there since the move, but have driven by and seen some of the floats.

Also agree on wandering the Quarter - the only street that's not "kid friendly" is Bourbon. Jackson Square is worth seeing and you gotta get a beignet at Cafe de Monde. If you want a French Quarter tour they usually last about 2 hours and walk around the Quarter telling some of the history. They normally don't go to Bourbon Street, so you'd be safe with this. You can also tour the Quarter via mule & carriage (from Jackson Square), but I prefer walking. Royal Street is great in the afternoon. They block part of it off from traffic and street musicians or mimes or both perform. If they're good or you take pictures, please tip them. If they're bad or pester you in any way, please do NOT tip them - if they don't get tips they go away.

Depending on your interests there are many museums you can visit - history (WWII, Confederate, Cabildo, etc.), homes (1850 House, Herman Grimma, Beauregard/Keyes, Gallier, etc.), Mardi Gras (Mardi Gras World, the Presbytere, etc.), art (NOMA, Ogden, etc.) and others. If you like cooking there are several "schools" of cooking that offer demonstration classes/tastings.

Try foods you can't get at home - crawfish, crab, shrimp, oysters (raw for you, but not your daughter!! - fried or grilled are OK for her), beignets, calas, gumbo, etouffee, jambalaya, po-boys, etc.

Thank you all for your advice - that's why I love Cruise Critic everyone is so willing to share their knowledge and experience.

One more question - can you buy an all day ticket for the streetcars?

If you ever need any advice on the UK and Liverpool in particular give me a shout.

Debbie x :D

One more question - can you buy an all day ticket for the streetcars?

The all-day pass is $5 pp. We were going to do that, but we ended up just walking everywhere. Our 7yo DS did say that his feet were hurting a couple of times but other than that, he did great. We went to the aquarium. We watched the penguin feeding, he fed the stingrays, and he loved the sharks and stingrays in the tanks. We were going to ride the Natchez, but for some reason, they didn't do the afternoon ride, so we rode the Creole Queen.

Debbie,

As a mom of a 9 y o DD who´s been to NOLA several times I´ll second

- Audubon Zoo and Aquarium

- Mardi Gras World

- Café du Monde and beignets

- free ferry ride with the Canal Street Ferry

and of course

- lunch cruise on the steamboat Natchez

BTW last I´ve heard the Creole Queen isn´t running anymore. Anyway, the Natchez is the real thing. The Creole Queen is a diesel boat. The Natchez has a real steam engine.

I think with 10 y she might be too old for the

Louisiana Children Museum

map70065,

Has Mardi Gras World already moved?? According to their website they´re still over in Algiers. I know they wanted to move to Robin Street Wharf. But last I´ve heard from a friend was that Robin Street Wharf was still empty.

steamboats

map70065,

Has Mardi Gras World already moved?? According to their website they´re still over in Algiers. I know they wanted to move to Robin Street Wharf. But last I´ve heard from a friend was that Robin Street Wharf was still empty.

Just checked. I figured that they had completed the move since I drove by and saw quite a few floats there - well, I was wrong - the Algers place is still open and that's where they're still doing tours.

Gordonchick,

You´re right. I´ve just checked their website and they´re running again but on a limited schedule. The boat was up for sale last year and they had financial troubles. Seems like they´re back again.

Not regarding the fact that the Natchez is the real thing, I´ve compared:

Natchez: 24.50 USD (add 10 including lunch which is very good), 2 hour cruise

Creole Queen: 25 USD (no lunch available, it´s a 3 pm cruise), 1.5 hour cruise

So you´ll definitely get more for your money on the Natchez, more cruising, lower price and the real thing :D.

Anyway a friend of ours designed both boats.

steamboats

From a New Orleanian and mother of 8 yr old here are our suggestions:

Insectarium

Aquarium

Zoo

Mardi Gras World (still in our neighborhood of Algiers)

Ferry

Mule drawn buggy ride in French Quarter (my daughter loves it)

Watching the street entertainers at the Moon Walk across from Jackson Square where you can catch the buggy rides.

Children's museum

NORD Ty Tracy Children's theatre if there is a performance during your visit

Beignets and chocolate milk at Cafe du Monde and make sure you blow powder sugar all over the place especially if someone is wearing black clothing.

Shopping at Urban Outfitters for their retro toys

Mardi Gras exhibit at the Presbytere next to St. Louis cathdral

The playground on Frenchman in the Marigny or the one at Audubon Park facing St. Charles Avenue

Streetcar ride to Riverbend with a stop at Coldstone Creamery or Baskin Robbins OR

Ice Cream at Creole Creamery on Prytania

From a New Orleanian and mother of 8 yr old here are our suggestions:

Beignets and chocolate milk at Cafe du Monde and make sure you blow powder sugar all over the place especially if someone is wearing black clothing.

I like this one the best! LOL! :D

Archived