Internet access

brcris75

I have a Computer for Dummies (yes that would be me) question and need a quick answer. I know this is where I'll get a reliable answer! DH's job has taken on some problems that will require daily attention while we're on our cruise. My question is... they have their own email page (I don't know the technical term!) so will he be able to access it as long he knows the address or do you have to go through a common one like yahoo, gmail, etc.? This pretty much depends on his getting to go so we really need to know.

Thanks!!!!!!

Both. They will supply you with an e-mail account upon boarding...or you can use any e-mail account [Yahoo and such] you can access from the 'Net. In addition, many ISPs [Earthlink/AOL/more] allow you to access e-mail frm the net

Your husband can get his own ship board e-mail account while on the cruise. As to your husband's e-mail account, he need to ask the IT people at work. They may have it set up for remote access or they might not.

For example, I can access all my e-mail accounts from work. By all I am referring to both my personal e-mail accounts and my work e-mail accounts. However, I need a special set up to access my work e-mail account from home. Without that, I could not access my work e-mail account from home.

The ship's Internet access is just a little faster than dial-up. So for text only e-mail access it will be okay. Once you start including graphics, this start to slow down.

When in port you might be better off using an Internet cafe. However, it might be wise not to trust public access computers. In that case, he should bring his own wireless laptop computer.

Thanks for the answers. He will be taking his own lap top. I know he can access his work email from our home computer by typing in the address/domain/whatever it's called so hopefully he can do it from the ship. I will have him check with the office to see what they think.

Thanks for the answers. He will be taking his own lap top. I know he can access his work email from our home computer by typing in the address/domain/whatever it's called so hopefully he can do it from the ship. I will have him check with the office to see what they think.
If he has access from home he will have access from the ship. However, most likely access from the ship will be at a slightly reduced speed (unless you use dial-up from home).

I have a Computer for Dummies (yes that would be me) question and need a quick answer. I know this is where I'll get a reliable answer! DH's job has taken on some problems that will require daily attention while we're on our cruise. My question is... they have their own email page (I don't know the technical term!) so will he be able to access it as long he knows the address or do you have to go through a common one like yahoo, gmail, etc.? This pretty much depends on his getting to go so we really need to know.

Thanks!!!!!!

Your husband needs to contact the IT people at work for instructions. This is not something that is within Carnivals control, but is dictated by his company. They are the only ones that can tell him how to proceed.

Carnival provides Internet access. The rate is going to be $100 for 250 minutes (I am assuming that he will need that much time, there are other packages). A lot of companies do not allow Internet connection to their e-mail systems for security reasons.

I will say that since he can access his e-mail from home on the same laptop that he is taking on the ship he will most likely have no problem at all, BUT sometimes companies do not allow mail to be sent remotely so he should have a back up account (g-mail) to use to send mail if his main account doesn't work.

does anyone know if i can bring my mac on board to do my online classes for school? and also how much would that be for wireless?

You can use a Mac, but given the cost and speed factors, you probably won't want to use the ships internet for online classes.

does anyone know if i can bring my mac on board to do my online classes for school? and also how much would that be for wireless?

Yes you can, and unless you have mandatory chat sessions it will work just fine. I teach a number of online courses and am able to do all my work from the ship without any problem at all. I do not have mandatory chat when I am not at home. The cost is $100 for 250 minutes, but other packages are available.

Archived