Toilet Paper - The BEst and the Worst

Ephraim

On my last cruise, an officer told me that folks smuggling toilet paper onboard can really screw up the entire system, resulting in blockages in many, many cabins and other parts of the ship. Ever smelt sewage in a certain area of a ship? Often, it's due to a blockage caused by bad toilet paper going solid in a pipe. Ship's toilet paper will pretty much suddenly dissolve after a few minutes immersion in water; regular toilet paper doesn't.

Another common reason for the system to get blocked is false teeth... often late at night for some reason. And sometimes, the "offender" doesn't even realise where lost their teeth! :eek:

VP

Since all TP is made to disintegrate on contact with water, I imagine that the problem is people using too much TP, not the kind of TP. It doesn't matter what kind you use, if you use too much it's going to clog. Let's be serious, we are supposed to have 4" pipes in houses for toilets and some people manage to clog it up anyway.

The only time I even THOUGHT about toilet paper on a cruise was on my Carnival cruise, when one of the ship's short-termentertainers was in my cabin. He used the lav, and asked if he could take my spare roll back to his cabin since it was not restocked regularly and he kept running out! For all his faults, my cabin steward WAS good at keeping my TP stocked!

Since all TP is made to disintegrate on contact with water, I imagine that the problem is people using too much TP, not the kind of TP. It doesn't matter what kind you use, if you use too much it's going to clog. Let's be serious, we are supposed to have 4" pipes in houses for toilets and some people manage to clog it up anyway.

Not all TP is made to disintegrate on contact with water. This is why there are specifically designed TP for septic tanks, for RV use, for cruise ships. TP made with lotions and other additives to make people feel good when they wipe, take a long time to disintegrate.

Wasn't looking for anything fancy, just something that was soft and did the job. Lotions on TP? That's new to me. Something as simple as Cottonelle, Royale or even Cascades. Nothing fancy, just a normal roll... not the commercial stuff you find in an airport or a discount motel.

Wasn't looking for anything fancy, just something that was soft and did the job. Lotions on TP? That's new to me. Something as simple as Cottonelle, Royale or even Cascades. Nothing fancy, just a normal roll... not the commercial stuff you find in an airport or a discount motel.

Problem is your "normal roll" may not be made (or be safe) in the ship's sewage system. You should ask before flushing it down.

Recently we were on the Celebrity Galaxy Transatlantic cruise and well we thought that the toilet paper felt like it was prison issue.

So, what cruiseline has the BEST and which cruiseline has the WORST toilet paper and does the toilet paper change when the ship is in different ports / continents?

And yes, we bought our own and brought it on to the ship. I'm sorry, but my tush... wanted a little luxury :)

OMG

Is this for real !!!!!!!!

I love to cruise and i cannot believe that someone would care about such a thing. Whats next? Bring your own paper towels:confused:

OMG

Is this for real !!!!!!!!

I love to cruise and i cannot believe that someone would care about such a thing. Whats next? Bring your own paper towels:confused:

And bath towels, bed linens, mattresses (although I read of an individual who brings his own inflatable mattress), etc.:eek:

Archived