For those that book GTY Rooms

xdollbabyx

If I've already been assigned a cabin, I booked a gty, could it still be upgraded?

Only way I would know to be upgraded is to risk recieving a downgrade by going back into the "pool" of gty people. This all depends on capacity and how close to sailing you are.

Just curious about these GTY rooms. We booked a IS 4B GTY but it looks like all the IS and OV are sold out for our sailing. So I know this is a long shot but does this mean we might get a balcony? Just curious, but we will have a good time no matter what cabin we have.

It sure does mean you might get a balcony. However, when you go looking for availability make sure you check out the rooms for 3 or 4 pax as well. They might place you in one of those rooms even though you have only 2 in your party. I wish you luck on getting the balcony! Whatever room you get enjoy your cruise!

I ment to say a 4A to a outside mid ship. I corrected it below.

On my first cruise we booked a 4A GAR and got an outside cabin on the Fantasy. Most all cruise lines now will only upgrade you to a inside from an inside, or outside from a outside.

what if a family, books 2 GTY...do they try to keep them close together??

In my experience with Carnival and booking GTY rooms, yes, they do keep them close together. Three out of the four times that I booked 2 or more GTYs, we were either next door to each other or separated by just one cabin. The other time, we were down the hall from each other.

what if a family, books 2 GTY...do they try to keep them close together??

They may TRY....but it doesn't always happen. Some friends of ours booked two GTY cabins and they were about as far apart as they could get. One was on a high deck, forward and the other was on the lowest deck aft. They called and explained that they were traveling with children and needed to be closer together and they were told nothing could be done, other than to cancel and book at the current rate, which they did. :)

Booked an IS and got a 9A on the Spirit in Jan 2003. Had no idea my daughter and I had been upgraded until we walked into the room. Thought they made a mistake and were going to knock on the door any second to kick us out.

Not tru ken. If the price of the gty changes you can opt for the OBC/Refund and go back into the "pool" of people awaiting assignment. That's when you have to decide if the room is worth the difference in money.

Of course if you are booked in a regular booking, not the new early saver rate, once you are past final payment you cannot get the OBC anymore. Started 12/1/08. New Policy of no more OBC.

They may TRY....but it doesn't always happen. Some friends of ours booked two GTY cabins and they were about as far apart as they could get. One was on a high deck, forward and the other was on the lowest deck aft. They called and explained that they were traveling with children and needed to be closer together and they were told nothing could be done, other than to cancel and book at the current rate, which they did. :)

Exactly!!! thats why if you are booking with two adults and two minor children, you have to book a adult in each cabin to even be allowed to book a guarantee, because they cannot say where the cabins will be located.

We just booked an 8A guarantee for 3/8 Pride and was assigned a room right away. 8I aft. Do any of you know if we decided to upgrade to a suite, would the upgrade price difference be between the 8A balcony guarantee or the 8I that we were assigned? Has anyone ever paid to upgrade their guarantee after it was assigned?

In August 1998, my friends and I, along with my fiancee at the time, sailed on the Inspiration. Because we had booked 5 cabins at the time, and really wanted to go the cheap route, we all booked 4A guarantee cabins. Thirty days before the cruise, we found out that Carnival had upgraded all 5 cabins to Category 11, because of an error on their part. They mistakenly double sold our cabins, and because most of us had cruised with Carnival several times prior, they upgraded everyone. Needless to say, we had a great time!!!! Since then, I my wife and I, along with most of those same friends, and others we have addded to our group over the years, ALWAYS booked 4A gty. Most of the time, we have ended up with balcony cabins.

the best of booked an ov gty on the destiny and recevied an 8a balcony. and to top that off, others in our group booked an 8a got moved up a deck but they paid $300 more than us. teeheeeee and their a/c didnt work. hahaha

on the glory a few yrs ago, we tried our first inside gty...moved up to panorama deck 10..nice.....hope the upgrade fairy visits for our freedom cruise in may!

We just booked an 8A guarantee for 3/8 Pride and was assigned a room right away. 8I aft. Do any of you know if we decided to upgrade to a suite, would the upgrade price difference be between the 8A balcony guarantee or the 8I that we were assigned? Has anyone ever paid to upgrade their guarantee after it was assigned?

Yes, the price to upgrade is from the price you paid, not the current price of the category you got a free upgrade to.

Sometimes lately Carnival has been doing cheaper upsells. Your TA can look into if this is available right before your cruise.

What is the highest you have ever made in it in a category after booking at GTY? I don't think anyone has probably ever booked an IS and ended up in the Owners Suite or anything, but let's hear from some people who got lucky.

IS to 4G or better?

OV to 6D or better

I just returned from the Splendor and went from the Riviera deck all the way up to the Panorama deck, spa cabin and even got the amenities to go along with it (unlimited use of pool and spa rooms).

Once your cabin has been assigned, does it ever change? It looks like we were assigned a cabin today, but we don't sail until 3/7/09. Any chance it will change before then?

It will probably stay the same, but it could change up until the day you sail. :)

Booked an 8A guarantee, got a 8E (extended balc) on Legend. The only problem was it was directly under the pool, and we had some noise issues.

No more guarantees for me, it's worth the extra money to choose specific cabins :)

Archived