How Do You Deal With Having to Go Home?

jhannah

Having just disembarked the lovely Noordam, and in the midst of the post-cruise travel blahs, I can speak with a VERY fresh perspective. :D

It's the pits. Plain and simple. However, the best way I know of to deal with it is to have one or more future cruises booked. If one or more of them is up-and-coming within the next 3 or 4 months, that makes it even easier to disembark a gracious dam ship. I am pleased that I managed to book 2 future cruises on this voyage, so that I now have cruises scheduled for all of 2009 and for 2010 as well. :D That makes things much better.

It was difficult to say goodbye to several people today. I know I'll be seeing RuthC, Longtimecruiser, and Mary Ellen again before the end of the year (we're doing the Transatlantic Crossing aboard the Rotterdam together in November), however I have NOTHING booked for the next TWO years with Brian, Scotty, Martha, Richard, Heather, or anybody else who was with the Good Nuts Cruise. :( I've become so used to cruising with these crazy people, so I will miss seeing them aboard future damships.

For me, cruising has become closely linked with my CCer friends. :) I can't help it ... I'm a people-person.

When you get home...WELCOME HOME!

In reading your daily diary and Twinkletoes I am so ready to cruise. I wish we were on the same cruise as you two as it sounded like a very special cruise for all your CC friends.

I'm going great! Thanks so much for asking. We should be packing for an Alaska cruisetour 6 months from today.

That is so great. You've been through a lot and doing the things you love to do certainly helps you and your lovely family get back to normal. That is very good news. :D

...............So how do you psych yourself up to face the inevitable ... having to leave a great ship and vacation and return to the stark world of daily reality?.................

How do I deal with? Not good, actually a rather ugly scene! Kicking and screaming with, at times, some tears!

Well I can say like many have said that it really does help to have another cruise already booked. For the past several years we were cruising 4 times a year with some as close as 8 weeks apart. So debarkation was getting easier each time because we knew we were returning very soon.

I have to say the sadden and the hardest was last month when we disembarked the Eurodam. I had tears in my eyes as I scanned our card the last time and I have to admit I am tearing up just writing this :( We had the most amazing 14 days on the Eurodam and I think staying on longer makes the debarking worse because you become that much closer and attached to the crew and the ship. But this last time was so much worse because for the first time we did not know when we would be returning ( and still do not) Until I can get a job it is totally unknown to when we will get to sail again. So as you can tell I am still not handling it well even after a month off ship :o

For those wondering and thought I had a job prior to going on the Eurodam in the last couple of weeks I found out that in county records there was showing a large unpaid traffic citation from a car accident I was in 2 yrs ago. I was the one rear ended and NOT cited but the county picked up the information incorrectly. I was finally able to get it dismissed by a judge last week and but not my record even though it was not mine to begin with but the position I thought I had I was denied being bonded:mad: I am being told by the courts that showing dismissed will be OK and will now not effect being bonded but it just really upsets me because I was never ticketed to begin with. So my suggestion to anyone looking for a job is to check all records first before even applying. Because I have never had a ticket in my life I would have never guessed this was even there.

Before the last two cruises began, I had actually had the next cruise booked so there was always another one to look forward to. :D Sadly, I don't have two on the go now and its quite possible that when I finish this year's sailing (June/July) I still won't have something else booked. :(

Yes, the dreaded post-cruise depression is very much real. I usually delay it as long as I could and select regular disembarkation over the express one so as to delay having to get off the ship.:rolleyes:

David

For us we've developed a "3 step" program that seems to help - at least somewhat.

1) The standard 'Book another cruise/buy Future Cruise Credits' onboard.

2) Remembering that we've got hundreds (or a thousand+) photographs and hours of video from this cruise to wade through to make our own Cruise DVDs... a 'chore' that takes us weeks and weeks of evening free time 'enjoyment'.

3) Once home, spend a lot of time on Cruise Critic commiserating with fellow "shipless" CC'ers - and the lucky few posting from onboard.

...Of course, it also helps that we never go directly home from the ship if we are flying. We always stay at least one night post cruise in a hotel so we 'transition' back to reality. :)

I think that is the trick. We try to put our cruise in the context of a larger vacation. The best of all possible worlds is to embark and disembark from a port we haven't been to before. Then, spend 2-3 days pre-cruise in the port to explore (and sometimes give our mishandled luggage time to catch-up), and 2-3 days post cruise in port to explore there as well.

It makes it a lot easier to get off that ship, especially if you are disembarking in Rio or Venice, or New York...you get the idea.

You get the best of both worlds, more in-depth exploring pre and post cruise, and snap-shot type exploring during the course of the cruise.

Getting off the ship becomes less of an issue.

...smooth sailing to you

For those wondering and thought I had a job prior to going on the Eurodam in the last couple of weeks I found out that in county records there was showing a large unpaid traffic citation from a car accident I was in 2 yrs ago. I was the one rear ended and NOT cited but the county picked up the information incorrectly. I was finally able to get it dismissed by a judge last week and but not my record even though it was not mine to begin with but the position I thought I had I was denied being bonded:mad: I am being told by the courts that showing dismissed will be OK and will now not effect being bonded but it just really upsets me because I was never ticketed to begin with. So my suggestion to anyone looking for a job is to check all records first before even applying. Because I have never had a ticket in my life I would have never guessed this was even there.

Lisa I'm so sorry to hear that! What a bummer, and through NO fault of your own! :mad:

For those wondering and thought I had a job prior to I am being told by the courts that showing dismissed will be OK and will now not effect being bonded but it just really upsets me because I was never ticketed to begin with. So my suggestion to anyone looking for a job is to check all records first before even applying. Because I have never had a ticket in my life I would have never guessed this was even there.

Lisa - hope you find a job real soon. You add a lot to cruisecritic by letting us know where the ships are and showing us the waves.

Laura

Lisa, here's some positive thoughts for your job search. I discovered that the places that didn't hire me weren't for me after all, and I thank my lucky stars that things worked out the way they did. You WILL be back on a Damship, before you know it.

As for PCL (Post-Cruise Letdown), our three kitties are the main reason we can bear the end of the cruise. Thelma, Louise and Cosmo give us disdainful looks as we arrive, like "Oh, were you gone?" which we can attribute to a great cat-sitter. By that evening, however, all three of them are attached like velcro to us. They say cats (and dogs) live in the moment, which is a good place to be, except between cruises, when memory and anticipation is everything.

Great thread, Jim.

Jim--

For me, the downer isn't the end of the cruise itself...

...it's leaving my CC'er friends, helpful staff, plentiful food and comfortable staterooms, dealing with a day of strange queues at immigration, draconian airport security and minimal comforts in the airports and terminals.

But once I'm home and the luggage is unpacked I'm pretty much OK because I know that I have another cruise or two booked.

I certainly understand that the length of the cruise makes a difference. After two weeks, even though I've had an absolutely wonderful time, I'm pretty much ready to get back home.

These are wonderful posts. Keep them coming!

Whoa....... that stinks, Lisa. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Good you caught the error and got the record corrected before it went on even longer. Any chance you can get back to the prospective employer and explain the error has now been corrected or has the position been filled?

GOOD LUCK. I so hope you find the perfect position VERY soon.

I still haven't figured out a way to recover from post-cruise blues. After 20 wonderful days on the Noordam I had to disembark on Dec. 17, 2008, and I'm still miserable! I know booking another cruise would help, but having the money to do so would be a bigger help.

Looking at the photos I have does help. So many happy memories of so many happy times with so many great new friends!!!!!!!!!

Buy the $12.00 laundry bag and have your laundry done before you leave the boat.:) It is woooonderful to unpack your clean ironed jeans:D Mel

Just how does the laundry system work on HAL. We've cruised a lot, using the laundry facilities on board only when desperate for clean clothes, since it is depressing to sit there or wait for a machine. We've avoided the ship's services thinking it would be very expensive.

We have a 20 day cruise coming up in May and with luggage restrictions at airports, we can't pack enough stuff. What do you mean by "the $12 laundry bag"? How much does it contain? Thanks.

Well I can say like many have said that it really does help to have another cruise already booked. For the past several years we were cruising 4 times a year with some as close as 8 weeks apart. So debarkation was getting easier each time because we knew we were returning very soon.

I have to say the sadden and the hardest was last month when we disembarked the Eurodam. I had tears in my eyes as I scanned our card the last time and I have to admit I am tearing up just writing this :( We had the most amazing 14 days on the Eurodam and I think staying on longer makes the debarking worse because you become that much closer and attached to the crew and the ship. But this last time was so much worse because for the first time we did not know when we would be returning ( and still do not) Until I can get a job it is totally unknown to when we will get to sail again. So as you can tell I am still not handling it well even after a month off ship :o

That is just terrible. I don't even know what to say because you have had some difficult setbacks. The good thing is setbacks often turn into positives so hang on.

We have only been on four cruises (fifth coming up Friday!) but many vacations. One thing I like to do is make sure a lot of household responsibilities are taken care of before we leave. I am paying most of the bills for February, filling up with heating oil, cleaning the house, making some meals and freezing them, and trying to clear my calendar for that first week back. I do this because it is so hard to jump right back in, and try to 'catch up' while going through post-vacation blues. If I can arrange to have some extra days off before heading back to work, that is helpful, too.

Good question Jim, and one we can all relate to! I always have feelings of dread as that last day approaches. I guess the only thing that helps in my case is having another cruise booked (or if I don't, booking one asap!!) and looking forward to seeing my cat again. :p
I think the thing I most hate about the impending disembarkation day is knowing I have to lug that luggage back home. I guess I could get around this by shipping luggage, but that is so darned expensive that I can't seem to justify the expense.

Just imagine the depression that set in after 35 days on the Statendam! It was really, really bad, and took me about a month to shake myself out of it. And, yes, I did book a future cruise ... but it was so far in the future (October of this year) that it didn't help ease the pain very much. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

I still haven't figured out a way to recover from post-cruise blues. After 20 wonderful days on the Noordam I had to disembark on Dec. 17, 2008, and I'm still miserable! I know booking another cruise would help, but having the money to do so would be a bigger help.

Looking at the photos I have does help. So many happy memories of so many happy times with so many great new friends!!!!!!!!!

I got off the Statendam on December 27th. I'm constantly playing the

"Six Weeks Ago We Left For The Pier" game.

I have my HAL announcement chime on my desktop which I play every morning. (I know what a loser)

This thing called life ....working, paying bills is a real nusiance.

Archived