LIVE from Explorer with a bad propellor 2/1/09

megr1125

Did you find that Bonine didn't work for you, or just that the patch is easier. The co-pay for the patch now is $45/person plus the $20 co-pay to get the perscription from the Dr. We can buy a lot of bonine for that money.

We used the patch on our first cruise and it worked. We didn't need anything on the next two, so we had wasted the money on the patches since we don't cruise very often and then have long since expired. I was hoping to switch to bonine this time, but if it doesn't work as well, I may fork out the big money for the patches.

Ann, We've used Bonine for many years. The trick is to start taking it the morning of the cruise. Don't wait until you're at sea....calm or stormy. They work GREAT for us as well as our family and friends.

Take one per morning whether you need it or not. We always do that.

Happy Cruising~~ Mary

Ann, We've used Bonine for many years. The trick is to start taking it the morning of the cruise. Don't wait until you're at sea....calm or stormy. They work GREAT for us as well as our family and friends.

Take one per morning whether you need it or not. We always do that.

Happy Cruising~~ Mary

Thanks Mary. I think I will take Suzanne's advice from a while back though and take it at night (starting the night before the cruise) rather than in the morning. Even non-drowsy medicines frequently make me drowsy. :rolleyes:

Queasy Pop

Developed by healthcare professionals to provide relief from the queasy stomach associated with motion sickness and chemotherapy. Queasy Pops are effective due to our special formulation of essential oils from natural herbs and aromatherapy, in combination with our unique delivery method. Our ongoing empirical and anecdotal research to improve and develop our unique flavors has proved satisfying for our many customers.

Queasy Pops also alleviate dry mouth, provide quick calories for a nice energy boost and are overall very soothing andQueasy Drops are the all natural way to ease a queasy stomach! We have formulated a great tasting drop using the essential oils from delicious, all natural sources. Queasy Drops act via aromatherapy and taste receptors to inhibit negative taste sensations and calm the tummy. Queasy Drops can also alleviate dry mouth, provide quick calories and are soothing and comforting. Our many satisfied customers include not only those who have used our product with success for motion sickness on boats, planes and autos, but also for a variety of other queasy causes. Flavors include: ginger, green tea with lemon and sour raspberry. Queasy Drops have everything you have come to expect from all our products; Developed by Healthcare Professionals, Drug free, Doctor recommended, Kosher, & Made in the USA

http://www.threelollies.com/

Thanks Mary. I think I will take Suzanne's advice from a while back though and take it at night (starting the night before the cruise) rather than in the morning. Even non-drowsy medicines frequently make me drowsy. :rolleyes:

Bonine ( meclizine is the same stuff) should be taken about an hour prior to the expected motion. It's purpose is to prevent motion sickness.

The less drowsy Dramamine is meclizine. For me, the original Dramamine works better but it can cause drowsiness and dry mouth.

Ginger on the other hand can prevent sickness and in some cases reduce existing symptoms.

Green apples have been know to also reduce nausea, but you have to eat the skins.

Am empty stomach is an invitation to motion sickness so make sure you eat but avoid heavy and fatty foods.

The patch (RX only) works for many but may be overkill unless you know from experience that you get sea sick.

I have had mixed results with the wrist bands but they do work for some.

If you are in rough seas, try to keep an eye on the horizon. It helps the brain to have a point of reference.

Motion on the ship is least at the center of gravity which on EOS is mid-ship, mid decks ( 5,6 and 7).

Remember that it may be difficult to distinguish motion sickness from a hangover:)

ann....start the bonine the night before the cruise......and keep a little food in your stomach.

also, you may want tp get some ginger candies or tablets from the health food store....many people say this works too......

Thanks. I guess I better Google for GNC or something since I haven't been able to find a health food store here.

Also, thanks for the idea about food. I didn't think about that. Dramamine makes DH dizzy, but hopefully doing the Bonine at night with food will be better.

The patch is an over the counter medicine in Canada and it costs us about $15.00 for 2 patches. I get sea sick very easily and with the patch I have never been sick. The 2 side effects that my wife and I notice are dry mouth and after about 3-4 days the taste of soft drinks changes.

I also continue the bonine after the cruise if I still feel the motion. Helps with "dock rock".

Interesting.

I have had this after each cruise. The funny thing is, I never notice it during port days, only after the cruise was completely over. I always thought it was just a symptom of post cruise depression. :D

All this talk of Bonine and sea sickness has me thinking. I just added Bonine to my packing list. I took it my very first cruise like everyone said - started the day before we got on board and one everyday. Didn't use it on our next 3 cruises. Our last cruise on Grandeur it was a little rough (there were bags out one night). Didn't get sea sick but could really feel the ship sway. When we got home my sons girlfriend and myself had the swaying motion for like a week afterwards. It was awful I had never had that before.

yes...sometimes it helps to watch the horizon..that is if you can FIND the horizon...at one point when we were coming home, you couldn't see it....kept moving up and down when you could....(IIRC a little rain and fog too, PLUS the rough seas!)

(someone did, of course suggest that the cure for seasickness was to DRINK!)):D

ann...maybe target or wal mart has it....also do you have any whole foods stores where you are?? or maybe wegmans??? or just a big grocery??? some of those places may have ginger candy or tablets...we have a health/orgainc section in our local grocery.....

Thanks. I guess I better Google for GNC or something since I haven't been able to find a health food store here.

Also, thanks for the idea about food. I didn't think about that. Dramamine makes DH dizzy, but hopefully doing the Bonine at night with food will be better.

Ann -

Our Walmart carries Ginger Root capsules (500 mg).....the brand is Rexall.....100 capsules is under $5.00.

Dee

yes...sometimes it helps to watch the horizon..that is if you can FIND the horizon...at one point when we were coming home, you couldn't see it....kept moving up and down when you could....(IIRC a little rain and fog too, PLUS the rough seas!)

(someone did, of course suggest that the cure for seasickness was to DRINK!)):D

Thanks, I got agood chuckle out of your reply.

Seas right off the coast of New Jersey wil be 7-13 feet tonight. Probably right around dinner time.

By the way from what I see on AIS Vessel tracking site, the EOS was doing over 21 knots from the time they started tracking it off of Barnegat N.J, around 4AM. It looks like they docked at 7AM.

Just off. We docked in Bayonne at 8am. Walk-offs started around 9am.

Thanks for the update.

Can you provide us with any more info? In particular the effects of the bad prop, port times cut short besides Puerto Rico.

And most importantly, did you enjoy yourself?

Thanks for the update.

Can you provide us with any more info? In particular the effects of the bad prop, port times cut short besides Puerto Rico.

I was on the same cruise as Rich. The biggest effect is that they are traveling about 2 knots slower. I was talking to Rich this morning and he said that every once and a while they could feel a vibration in the back of the ship. My room was all the way forward and I didn't notice anything. My wife and I enjoyed ourselves. We had over 1300 kids onboard. That made the days at sea a little different than your regular cruise. But overall it was a great cruise.

Aside from the port time changes, nothing noticeable unless one was looking for it. We sailed from Bayonne at 4pm, I think we were scheduled to leave at 5pm. We arrived at Labadee at 9am instead of 8am, so it took an extra 2 hours to reach the first port--possibly 3 hours because we didn't set clocks ahead until after Labadee. That struck me as unusual but might be the norm. I think Samana was unchanged and we had an extra 2 hours in St. Thomas. All aboard at last port (San Juan) was 11am.

We found out about the revised itinerary as we arrived at check-in. A flyer was being handed out. It said Explorer was sailing at reduced speed but was silent on any reason for it. No OBC was offered nor should there have been in my opinion.

Absolutely!

Now that I've read all the recommendations for sea sickness...

Can someone tell me the current itinerary for the 2/22 cruise? I'm curious when they to go to San Juan. We're getting on next and we stop at San Juan first, 3pm to 11pm, so I'd like to know if they've changed the time for them or not if they're going their first too.

A Flyer????/Isn't that nice..at virtually the last minute. I do agree somewhat with the no OBC but...we should be given the courtesy of knowing about these changes beforehand (since they know in advance that there are "issues" with this ship). I am disappointed with RC over this-I feel we ALL deserve better treatment-we deserve to know the truth before we sail!!!!! I have no intentions of cancelling because of this but...if they get alot of bad PR- I can't stand behind them on this one.

Now that I've read all the recommendations for sea sickness...

Can someone tell me the current itinerary for the 2/22 cruise? I'm curious when they to go to San Juan. We're getting on next and we stop at San Juan first, 3pm to 11pm, so I'd like to know if they've changed the time for them or not if they're going their first too.

This is the original schedule

22-Feb-2009 Cape Liberty Cruise Port (bayonne), New Jersey,

23-Feb-2009

24-Feb-2009

25-Feb-2009 San Juan, Puerto Rico 3:00 PM 11:30 PM

26-Feb-2009 Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

27-Feb-2009 Philipsburg, St. Martin / St. Maarten 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

28-Feb-2009 Roseau, Dominica 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

01-Mar-2009 Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

02-Mar-2009 St. Johns, Antigua and Barbuda 10:00 AM 5:00 PM

03-Mar-2009

This is the original schedule

22-Feb-2009 Cape Liberty Cruise Port (bayonne), New Jersey,

23-Feb-2009

24-Feb-2009

25-Feb-2009 San Juan, Puerto Rico 3:00 PM 11:30 PM

26-Feb-2009 Saint Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

27-Feb-2009 Philipsburg, St. Martin / St. Maarten 8:00 AM 6:00 PM

28-Feb-2009 Roseau, Dominica 8:00 AM 5:00 PM

01-Mar-2009 Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 AM 4:00 PM

02-Mar-2009 St. Johns, Antigua and Barbuda 10:00 AM 5:00 PM

03-Mar-2009

EOS left Cape Liberty@1615

Just passed under the VZ, not a nice night for pix or a sailaway party with 37F Temps and rain :(

Archived