Seward/Talkeetna

lundys21

They're just your run-of-the-mill 60mph roads. At least, up until the last ~15 miles or so, when it's more like one of those paved 2-lane no-name highways you probably drive on every day. You might hit some traffic lights up around Wasilla, where you will likely want to stop anyway. I think a good lead foot, doesn't care about gas, could make it in 4 1/2 hours comfortably.

You have to factor in road construction delays during the summer. Very common to have something going on from Seward to Anchorage as well as Wasilla to Talkeetna.

Summer traffic can also slow you down and getting through Anchorage is completely unpredictable. One good accident can put a damper on any plans. We've been in this situation countless times.

There's no way I'd consider allowing less than 5 hours plus breaks. And then if it takes less, you can be pleasantly surprised. It could (depending on route chosen, timing of stoplights, and time of day) take 1/2 an hour to get through Anchorage...that has to be added on to your 240 miles.

I too would suggest you allow at least 5 hours. IF you are continuing past Talkeetna, or in Talkeetna extended, your LAST full and cheapest grocery stop is Wasilla. There also is plenty to see and do all along the way, that could add triple the time. I suggest you do your homework and find out what may also be of interest and allow that time for a stop.

If you pull into just half the scenic turnouts along the Turnagain Arm between Girdwood and Anchorage, you'll add an hour or two! If the weather is nice, this is not a stretch of road you'll want to race through!

Here's a quick slideshow from last May when I had an afternoon following a business conference before catching my flight home, and drove Anchorage to Portage Glacier and back...

(Be sure to to click on the "watch in high quality" link under the picture)

...and the reason I'm going back with my wife for a two week Alaska vacation this summer!

-- Eric

Beautiful scenes on a sunny day Eric; thanks for posting! A sunny day along the Turnagain Arm is a very special gift while in Alaska! We too had such a day this last August, and OMG...beyond beautiful!

Thanks again for my Alaska fix for the day!

Beautiful photos--thanks for sharing. I especially like the reflected snow capped mountains. I hope we are as lucky getting some sun next June.

I nearly missed my flight home because the weather was so great in the late afternoon! I had taken my time driving down to Portage Lake, and figured I had more than enough time to drive back, since I had already made many stops to take in the scenery. But suddenly the water across Turnagain Arm was like glass, and I just had to keep pulling off and trying to capture photos of the spectacular views I was experiencing. And then I realized I was running late -- so late I didn't have time to find a gas station near the airport before returning the rental car, so I had to pay the exorbitant rental car company price for refueling! I still get annoyed at that... but it was worth it for the wonderful sunny, warm afternoon I had. :)

When I hear how cold and wet last summer turned out to be, I feel doubly blessed to have had that day. I'm just hoping for some days like that when we spend two weeks cruising and driving around Alaska this June!

-- Eric

Archived