Another question

samushy

How does the room steward/cleaner know that your not in your room. Do you put a door hang out when you want the room cleaned. Also I'm sharing a cabin with one other person (stranger). The beds would be seperate wouldn't they- if not I hope they can be moved. As the days get closer, I'm getting more nervous and stupid questions are entering my head and freaking me out.

Dear Sam,

Don't worry! Everything will be great. And your questions are not stupid. Yes, the beds will be seperate. If for any reason you get to your room and there is one big bed just call your cabin steward and ask for it to be made in to two beds, which they will do while you are at dinner.

Unlike a hotel where the housekeepers may have more than one wing or even several floors to clean, you will have a dedicated steward who will look after your section. He or she will probably have a helper or two. There are little ways they know if you are in your room or not. For example, if you order a room service breakfast for 7:00 a.m. delivery, they will probably guess that you'll be out of the room by 8:30 or so. If they guess wrong and you are in the room when they want to clean the really polite thing to do is tell them when you will be leaving. If you are just hanging out, you could tell them to come on in, "I was just leaving," then go hang out elsewhere for a half hour or so. If you aren't going to leave till lunchtime, just tell them that. They will work around you. If you want the room made up a certain time, you could mention that to them the night before. (For example you could say that you'll be dining from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. and plan to write letters in your room after that.) If at all possible, they will have your room clean then. Unlike a hotel, they also come in while you are at dinner, refresh the towels, and turn down the beds for sleeping.

Hope this answers your questions. If you think of more, post 'em and someone will set your mind to rest. Enjoy!

I have no idea how they know - it's magic. I go to breakfast, come back in 30 minutes, and the room has been magically transformed. The stewards on my cruises (mostly HAL) have been amazing. They work so hard and are always pleasant.

The beds will be separate - so don't worry about that.

The room stewards are great about knowing when you leave the room so that they can make it. The only problem you might have is if your room mate and you do not keep the same hours, i.e., you go to bed early and rise early while she goes to bed late and rises late - or vise versa. You get the idea. Then the cabin steward will have a hard time getting in to clean up the room.

Archived