Disappointed with extra charge for almost ALL restuarants

LMHCruise

I always find it amusing when people justify the price of Cagney's by comparing the price to a steakhouse on land. There is one major flaw in your argument: YOU ALREADY PAID FOR YOUR CRUISE, WHICH INCLUDES DINING ROOMS. Cagney's is a surcharge on your prepaid meal.

Here is my overriding concern: If pay-extra-for-what-you-already-paid-for-restaurants become more popuklar, the cruise lines will eventually require extra fees for all waiter service restaurants.

The only meals included will be the buffet and some guy with a hotdog cart in the middle of the ship somewhere.

BTW: Until several years ago, Chilean Seabass was served the night they had the "President's Dinner."

I checked out the list of restaurants on the Pearl that are "free"

There are only 3 that charge.

The FAQ listed in the stickies is where I saw this.

I think I'll have a lot of free food to choose from :)

I was under the impression that the following have surcharges:

Le Bistro, Cagney's, LaCucina, Lotus Garden, Teppanyaki, Sushi Bar, Mambos Latin/tapas

(still I don't expect problems finding food that is included in the fare)

If I'm wrong on those, I hope someone who has sailed recently on the Pearl will correct me.

I was under the impression that the following have surcharges:

Le Bistro, Cagney's, LaCucina, Lotus Garden, Teppanyaki, Sushi Bar, Mambos Latin/tapas

(still I don't expect problems finding food that is included in the fare)

If I'm wrong on those, I hope someone who has sailed recently on the Pearl will correct me.

http://www.7blueseas.com/global/pages/NCLFSDining_popup.asp

I'm more upset that I have to pay for soda than I am any food surcharges ;)

This is unless it's changed since the FAQ link *shrug*

Norwegian Pearl

(this doesn't print out like the link)

Summer Palace (Main Dining)

Indigo (Main Dining)

Mambos Latin/ Tapas

La Cucina Italian

Garden Cafe / Kid's Cafe

The Great Outdoors

Blue Lagoon

These are the 3 that have charges...

Lotus Garden

A Japanese/Thai/Chinese restaurant complex also featuring sushi, shashimi and a teppanyaki room.

$12.50

Le Bistro A theatrical art nouveau restaurant reflecting all things French. Wine displays surround the entrance and the artwork idolizes famous French icons throughout French history.

$15.00

Cagney's Steakhouse Traditional Steakhouse featuring a full complement of grilled specialties.

$20.00

you're not going to find whole main lobster and filet mignon in the main restaurants; and, you're not going to find lobster ravioli in the main dining rooms.

Actually, a few years ago I enjoyed filet mignon and lobster ravioli in the main dining room, along with Chilean Sea bAss (no longer), escargot (no longer), and several other items. You used to be able to go to the spa without paying extra. I think NCL and the other cruise lines are pushing the envelop to see how much the lemmings are willing to pay extra for that were included in the past. I think the vast improvement of the buffet on the Gem and Pearl are a set-up for when that dining choice is the only one included in the price of the cruise. Everything else--including a lounge chair--will one day be extra. I like free-style concept and the informal dress code. So, I still cruise with NCL. I certainly don't choose them for the extras.

I had escargot in the main dining room both last year on the Star and this year on the Pearl. I guess you missed it. On the Star it was in an incredible puff pastry shell and on the Pearl it was baked in a thickened garlic butter. Both were absolutely delicious.

I really don't miss any of the other items you list, because I find the food in the main dining rooms offers plenty of variety and has always been wonderful. I do choose to eat at specialties, however, not because I'm a 'lemming', but because I enjoy them and it's MY money to spend. I remember when I was cruising in the past and there were no fees for spas... but then again, there were no spas. As far as I know, all the same facilities as I used to have access to for free are still free on cruises. In fact, EVERYTHING I remember being included on my past cruises is still included - except maybe soda. The menus may have changed, but as far as I'm concerned, good food is good food; I don't care 'what' food it is, just that there's something I enjoy. :)

I agree that the buffets are excellent as well, but I will always prefer a sit-down meal to a buffet, with or without the action stations. It's certainly nice to have the option, though. :)

I also do not choose NCL for the choices, though I do prefer the Freestyle concept to traditional dining. It's not enough of a preference to outweigh things like cost, itinerary, and timing, but I'll definitely choose NCL if the other three are comparable.

To the OP - I'm sorry you got a disappointing surprise. We pay for three meals when we go to the specialties, so I know you're right, it does add up, but it's just one more thing that factors into our choice of whether to go or not. The choices are still available, and so far on our last three cruises, our fare has been so much less than what we might have spent on another line that we were still getting a good overall deal. I don't know how old your kids are, but if they're young enough to eat the kid's meals, they're included no matter where you order them. Not that knowing that does you any good now! The next time you're considering booking a cruise, you'll have this knowledge going in and can decide if budgeting for some specialties will work for you. :)

So, there's 2 main restaurants, a buffet, a "snack" place and a cafe.

I should be able to find plenty to eat....a question though...what the heck is "continental" cuisine? I hear THAT word and I think of Continental Breakfast...donuts, bagels, cereal and juice *gag*

Continental cuisine and continental breakfast are two completely different things. Continental cuisine is classical French cuisine, although sometimes the term is used more vaguely to represent anything European other than British food. A continental breakfast is typically pastries with beverages (tea, coffee, juice).

I always find it amusing when people justify the price of Cagney's by comparing the price to a steakhouse on land. There is one major flaw in your argument: YOU ALREADY PAID FOR YOUR CRUISE, WHICH INCLUDES DINING ROOMS. Cagney's is a surcharge on your prepaid meal.

Here is my overriding concern: If pay-extra-for-what-you-already-paid-for-restaurants become more popuklar, the cruise lines will eventually require extra fees for all waiter service restaurants.

The only meals included will be the buffet and some guy with a hotdog cart in the middle of the ship somewhere.

BTW: Until several years ago, Chilean Seabass was served the night they had the "President's Dinner."

I can assure you I know of no steak house in Dallas, Tx where you can get as much as you want to eat of every thing but the entree for the $20.00 they charge plus the money we have already paid for the "included" meal. Especially to get the quality of food they offer in Cagneys.

The other issue you mentioned about how if these become more popular, etc etc, well.. that is answered simply by supply and demand. If there are enough people who feel like you do and do not eat in the specialty restaurants, then I can assure you they will not be around for long. In fact, I can say we have seen their popularity has declined since when we first started cruising with NCL. But I guess they have retained enough popularity for NCL to keep them open.

While you are amused by someone justifing eating at a specialty restaurant, I am saddened by it. It's their money, they shouldn't feel they have to justify to anyone how they spend it.

I would go crazy to eat in the same restaurant EVERY NIGHT for 2 weeks in Dallas, so why should I if I have options? IMHO as NCL suggests, "worth the price".

Assuming it was the same menu, I suppose.

But is the menu in the "free" restaurants changed every night. Is there also a different theme each night like other lines?

IHere is my overriding concern: If pay-extra-for-what-you-already-paid-for-restaurants become more popuklar, the cruise lines will eventually require extra fees for all waiter service restaurants.

That is going to be the end result whether or not the specialty restaurants are popular or not. What is happening now is just the road to get us there. The charge for the specialty restaurants are $10+ per person...next, you'll see a nominal $2 or $3 per person per meal tacked on to your on-board account (exactly same way as the "service charge") which will "entitle" you to eat at the "free" places.

Everything will eventually be like the airlines - all ala carte, and some of it, you are not even going to have a choice - it will be billed directly to your on-board account and not removable.

Howard

That is going to be the end result whether or not the specialty restaurants are popular or not. What is happening now is just the road to get us there. The charge for the specialty restaurants are $10+ per person...next, you'll see a nominal $2 or $3 per person per meal tacked on to your on-board account (exactly same way as the "service charge") which will "entitle" you to eat at the "free" places.

Everything will eventually be like the airlines - all ala carte, and some of it, you are not even going to have a choice - it will be billed directly to your on-board account and not removable.

Howard

As long as there are those that continue to applaud it and continue thinking it's a good thing.

Such feedback; the cruiselines sure are giddy when reading here.

This is the transition phase.

Imagine if we ever get back to the class system, where the options are not even included in your fare.

This is the transition phase.

Absolutely correct. Just like the airlines went through with the baggage fees. Took them about a year to make the transition, and many different dates when it went into effect, grandfathering for those who purchased tickets early, etc. But, now that we have them (with all but a couple holdouts), they are not going away.

You change the consumer's mindset as to what is standard/included during the transition period and take your lumps. But, once it is in place, that becomes the new standard. A few years out, not all that many folks even remember what the standard was previously. I still have visions of our RCL cruise a few years ago, when "lobster night" didn't get one whole lobster per person in my family, not even the second was good enough for our waiter - but he attempted to bring us each a third! Now "lobster night", which the staff makes such a big deal out of is a lobster "dish". On NCL, that amounted to half of the small lobster tail with a bunch of fillers.

Howard

I checked out the list of restaurants on the Pearl that are "free"

There are only 3 that charge.

The FAQ listed in the stickies is where I saw this.

I think I'll have a lot of free food to choose from :)

I DO wish we could "unsticky" the current FAQ and start another one. So much has changed with the implementation of 2.0 that the current FAQ is obsolete.

We were on Celebrity's Infinity two years ago and they would bring us escargot every night in the main dining room if we asked for it. I wonder if that is still true.

Yes, we were just on the Solstice 2 weeks ago. We ate in the main DR every night and it was wonderful! 2 of us at our table requested escargot as our appetizer every night, and it was no problem! It was buttery and garlicy and oh, so good! And no paying extra for it! ;)

I never understand why people pay extra for something that is already included.

Maybe in the current economy, the gratuitous money wasters are learning a painful lesson.

We'll see.

The same reason people pay more for a nice steak dinner instead of having a beef patty at mcdonalds? By definition your entire cruise is a waste of money, it is not something you need, simply something you desire.

Continental cuisine and continental breakfast are two completely different things. Continental cuisine is classical French cuisine, although sometimes the term is used more vaguely to represent anything European other than British food. A continental breakfast is typically pastries with beverages (tea, coffee, juice).

So...the only main "free" restaurants are French cuisine? That is confusing. Hope I can get regular American food somewhere on the ship. I don't even know what French cuisine is. Or European, for that matter :confused:

Totally agree with this. I am glad they only charge for things if you use them at this point. So right...I probably WILL be getting a massage, and everyone else doesn't need to pay for me to do that ;)

I personally wouldn't mind if they kept going with this. We never have stepped foot in a spa on a cruise ship, so why should our fare pay for someone else to use it. Why not let those that want to use it pay for it. We don't use the pool or hot tubs, etc, so if they keep our fare lower and start charging for lounge chairs by the pool.. I say go for it...Plus I bet that would get rid of the lounge chair hogs quickly. I like having the freedom of choice and being able to spend our money on what we want it spent on.

We were on Celebrity's Infinity two years ago and they would bring us escargot every night in the main dining room if we asked for it. I wonder if that is still true. Seems like a lot has changed regarding quality and availability of special items.

golly I never thought to ask for it every night on any ship. Will Celebrity still offer it, my guess in no, but then that is just a guess. If anyone knows for sure, please let the rest of us know.

Nita

golly I never thought to ask for it every night on any ship. Will Celebrity still offer it, my guess in no, but then that is just a guess. If anyone knows for sure, please let the rest of us know.

Nita

see post # 67 :)

Call me crazy, but I like things to be included, with airlines and cruise ships.

I would rather pay $350 for my airline ticket than $325 and get charged to check my luggage, charged for my drink, charged for a peanut, etc.

Maybe I won't have luggage that trip, or won't want a drink, but the option was there and maybe i'll use it next time.

To me, being charged extra for every little thing is annoying and gives me a lower perceived value my money. If I paid $350 and got to check my 2 bags, great beverage and snack service, and a warm blanket provided I would feel like I great deal because the service was so great.

If my ticket was a little cheaper but they demanded I fork over money to check my bags, then had to try and dig money out of my pockets in a small airline seat to get a drink and a snack... oh, now I think the plane is cold so I need to break out the credit card to get a blanket. I get off the plane feeling like I had a bad value and experience.

Where should the cruise lines stop it? Whip out your sign and sail card to use the elevator? Attach a different color bracelet to you each day you buy a pool pass? Charge to use the chairs in the lounge? No one uses all the services available, but I don't want to be charged individually for every little thing I want to do every time I turn around. For me, that just doesn't seem like much of a vacation.

Actually, I figured it out. My fare is approx $90.00/day. That covers my accomodations at a medium priced hotel, and I don't get food, entertainment, view, etc. at a hotel ;) Not bad. I want to just pay for what I'm using to keep that cost to me reasonable. If I want extra food that day, I'll get it. I think this is a very reasonable price to pay for a cruise .

We were on Celebrity's Infinity two years ago and they would bring us escargot every night in the main dining room if we asked for it. I wonder if that is still true. Seems like a lot has changed regarding quality and availability of special items.

I wouldn't want the charge for THAT on my cruise bill ;) ;)

I'll pass on that particular dish ;) uhmm....gag.

Archived