Driving to Miami. 95 or turnpike?

nc020594

We will be driving down to Miami in April (Pride 4/11/09) from NC. Can anyone share a preference of staying on 95 the entire way or picking up the turnpike just before Palm Beach Gardens? We have always flown down, but driving this time due to flight costs (Easter week). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris

We will be driving down to Miami in April (Pride 4/11/09) from NC. Can anyone share a preference of staying on 95 the entire way or picking up the turnpike just before Palm Beach Gardens? We have always flown down, but driving this time due to flight costs (Easter week). Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris

What day are you driving down? Friday? depending on what time take the TP if its early Saturday morning you should be fine with the 95

One thing 95 goes WAY west around Ft Pierce to Stuart and the TP will cut maybe 15 mins off your time.

Even though we live in Northern Kentucky, we always go over to 95 in SC and head to Miami. My DH hates 75 around Atlanta. It's about 20 miles longer going down 95.

We always take 95 to Ft. Pierce and then switch over to the turnpike. The exits on 95 get closer and closer together as you head south until you have one exit after another. Local traffic getting on and off can drive you crazy. The turnpike has less exits and less local traffic. You could stay on 95 a little farther south but get on that turnpike before the exits get really close together.

I live in North Central Florida, and a couple years ago, took the turnpike to Miami for a convention at work.

On the way home, i thought, gee, i will take 95 home, it will be a nice scenic view!!

Wrong!!!!!

The traffic was terrible, terrible , terrible.

IT took me forever to go just a few miles. I found the next exit to the turnpike and came home all the way!!!!

The traffic down around Palm beach, ft lauderdale etc, is terrible, esp if you travel during the week day.

If it is a weekend, it may not be as bad, but it is a very congested area down there.

The turn pike is pretty quick, and lots less traffic!

Just my opinion!

Thanks for the input so far. We will be going down on Friday, leaving central NC around 7am. Mapquest says between 12 -12 1/2 hours (straight thru). We are going to try and go as far as possible, maybe Port St Lucie and stay the night, so we only have aprox 2 hours drive on Saturday morning(embarkation) .

Iv always driven I95 (probably a dozen times, I drive up to Jacksonville and across going back and forth to Texas).

The turnpike will let you off way west of where you want to go and that will probably be an extra 45 minutes of driving east that conteracts the time you saved by spending $15 on the turnpike or whatever it is. I lived east, like where the ports are on the ocean, so driving across to the everglades to pick up the turnpike didnt make much sense for me.

Chris

Get off I95 at Hwy 70, Ft Pierce. Go west about a mile and get on the turnpike there. Almost no traffic heading south. I95 from PB Gardens south is sometimes a parking lot. Traffic is always BAD!

Dan

Chris

We drive to Miami from Daytona Beach and definately suggest staying on I-95. There are more lanes of traffic on I-95 and the exit for I-95 is just minutes from the Port of Miami as opposed to an hour away from the turnpike. If there is an accident on the turnpike traffic can back up forever. Traffic should not be that much of a problem on a Sat morning on I-95. Another plus is there isn't a toll on I-95.

I-95 = direct route

Turnpike = you travel west then have to come back east when you get into Miami.

From St Lucie you have approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive to the port on I-95. We have driven down twice on a Thursday and back twice on Mondays and haven't encountered any abnormal traffic problems.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.:)

Thanks for the input so far. We will be going down on Friday, leaving central NC around 7am. Mapquest says between 12 -12 1/2 hours (straight thru). We are going to try and go as far as possible, maybe Port St Lucie and stay the night, so we only have aprox 2 hours drive on Saturday morning(embarkation) .

You should be fine then - stay in St Lucie West....they are a couple nice hotels around there and some nice places to eat right off 95 - If you like Mexican I highly Suggest Publeo Viejo its right in front of golds gym or right behind Ruby Tuesdays

Then if you want jump on the TP in Jupiter - I think you will be fine Saturday morning

In the past two years I have driven from St. Louis to Florida, twice for cruises. Both times, I took the turnpike for the trip down and I-95 for the way back. Both times, I-95 was quicker. Also, gas prices are much more reasonable on the interstate.

My Boyfriend and I drove to NC from Miami and back. The worst part of the trip was the traffic coming back thru South Carolina and Georgia i-95. So be prepared for some traffic there ( it was a weekday).

As far as traveling from Ft. Pierce to miami I would suggest I-95 because it is a Saturday, the turnpike takes you very west, it is not worth it.

I live in North Central Florida, and a couple years ago, took the turnpike to Miami for a convention at work.

On the way home, i thought, gee, i will take 95 home, it will be a nice scenic view!!

Wrong!!!!!

The traffic was terrible, terrible , terrible.

IT took me forever to go just a few miles. I found the next exit to the turnpike and came home all the way!!!!

The traffic down around Palm beach, ft lauderdale etc, is terrible, esp if you travel during the week day.

If it is a weekend, it may not be as bad, but it is a very congested area down there.

The turn pike is pretty quick, and lots less traffic!

Just my opinion!

95 has improved tremendously in the last few years in South Florida. Since I've lived here all my life, and travel often to Orlando, I would say, stay on 95. It's an easier route and gets you right into Downtown Miami and the port. I hate the turnpike, it's boring!

Where in NC are you? I am originally from Miami, but DH and I live in Greensboro now. We drive down to Miami a few times a year (it takes 13-14 hours from where we are). Traffic in South FL is all just luck. The turnpike can be just as bad as I95 sometimes. Since you plan on stopping in St Lucie Fri night and finishing the trip to Miami Sat morning, I'd say take I95 all the way. Traffic shouldn't be too bad on a Sat morning.

Oh, and I agree MaryL, traffic is REALLY bad in Georgia because of all the construction going on on I95.

Chris

Turnpike for sure! It is worth the toll costs!! I drive a truck for a living, and even though it costs me a lot of $$$ to drive a semi on it it is worth it!!

Depending on the time of day the traffic on 95 is terrible to worse during rush.

I live in Myrtle Beach and travel to South Florida several times a year. I always drive to Ft. Peirce the first day (take about 9 hours)..There are several nice hotels right there between 95 and the turnpike...Check into a hotel and then go down to the "Tiki Bar" on the waterfront for some seafood and cold beer!!! Next morning I'm right there at the turnpike..hop on and you'll be in Miami in no time!!!!!!!!!

either way can be a nightmare if there is an accident.:eek: I live in Palm Bay and travel to Miami 3 or 4 times a year to pick up my mil who lives there. I've used both routes and have been stuck in major backups on both. Going to the port though, i'd probably just use I-95 since traffic isn't too bad on a Saturday morning and you won't be going out of your way by using the Turnpike. You can also call 411 (or is it 511?) for highway info on either roadway. It will tell you of any known accidents or backups along the way. Either way I wish you good luck no matter which way you go.

Happy sailing :)

Barb

Hello, I live in S.C. and we always take 95. My husband drove us from Orangeburg to Miami in 8 hours.This including restroom stops and just to stretch our legs. I thinks he likes to drive to see how quick he can get there.:rolleyes:

Jump over to the turnpike in Jupiter. You'll see it....it's where the turnpike runs parallel with 95.

From Ft Pierce south, the turnpike is a straight shot south while the 'I' meanders east and west before aligning with the pike at Jupiter. Ft. P to Jupiter on the pike 36 miles, I95 I'd guess more than 10 miles longer and ALWAYS more traffic. They are VERY close to one another for about a mile near Jupiter. The roads are like one road with a north bound lane, a southbound lane, another north bound lane, and another south bound lane. And Nada else around.

But Jupiter is a good second choice and avoids a little bit of the toll.

Dan

It is really all about timing unless there is an MVA. We are from Miami but 12 yrs ago relocated. We also made the trip from NC where hubby was stationed 15 yrs to Miami and it was almost always 95 for us. Got to time it to avoid Jacksonville traffic and arrive in South Florida in an off traffic time. We plan our drives around that.

We did this trip from Charlotte twice last year for CCL Valor cruises. Both cruises left on Sunday afternoon. We like to take 95 to Melbourne and stay Saturday night at a really nice Holiday Inn convention center right off the interstate. Next day we leave early for the 3 hour drive to the port. Little traffic on Sunday mornings to speak of. Same deal on return. Self disembark and on the road you go. Again, little traffic in Miami early Sunday.

Traffic heavy around construction last year about 45 miles around Jacksonville. Otherwise a nice ride. We averaged about 11 hours each way with few stops. Seemed like the working speed limit was about 90 MPH for the 1st 30 miles out of Miami!

Archived