Formal night on Norwegian Gem

jarjus

Usually the first formal night is the first sea day and the second formal night the last sea day-except when the sea day falls on the last night of the cruise.

However, formal night is NOT a big thing on NCL. They call it "Dress Up or Not Night," it is only requested tha tyou dress up in one of the main dinning rooms, the other main dinning room you can even wear jeans. All of the specialty restaurants you can wear resort casual to dinner any night-jeans, capris, only shorts are frowned upon.

We did particulate in the first formal night, although we ate at the French restaurant and could have dressed more casually. The second formal night we ate in the Mexican, and we did not participate, although my daughter and I both wore dress slacks and silk blouses. We felt that, even though we were not dressing formally, we still wanted to look a notch or so nicer, since others would be dressed up.

• 4 years later...
Does anyone know if I have to pack men's dress pants for the 9 day norweigan gem cruise?

Formal nice on NCL is optional. (2 in a 7 day cruise)There is one no pay extra restaurant you avoid but you are allowed if the other no pay extra restaurant and all the specialties. So you do not have to pack dress pants. However, your partner may want a pic of the 2 of you spiffed up, so make sure they are on board with you not dressing up. I speak from experience. Hubby did not pack a blazer since we were on NCL and I wanted a nice pic. I had said I saw no need for us to participate in formal night both nights and he understood this to mean no nights-lol!