Review of 2/1 Westerdam

cruizn2escape

Here's the review I posted on the Review tab. I will try to answer questions if you have any.

We are a from Iowa where it is cold and snowy during the winter. I am in my late 50's and my husband is in his early 60's. We took this cruise to get out of the winter and to relax in the sun.

We flew into FFL on 1/30 and stayed at the Sheraton Suites, Plantation. This is a nice hotel connected to a mall that is now closed. It is not on the beach but served our purpose as we were visiting relatives in Davie which is close to Plantation. The hotel had promotion and was only $99 a night. I did also see it on Hotwire for $66 a night. A bargain for February prices.

After visiting our relatives on 1/31, we arrived at the port at 1:10pm on 2/1. There was no line and we were on the ship by 1:30pm. Since the rooms weren't ready they make you go to the Lido deck. This is something I don't like. The deck was crowded and we ended up sitting near the pool in the aft. It was very windy. We got some salad for lunch and waited until about 1:45 when the it was announced the rooms were ready.

Our room was on the Upper Promenade deck near the aft. The room had plenty of storage space. 2 closets for hanging clothes - which also had shelves that you could pull down if you wanted to and 1 closet with shelves and the safe. There were 2 drawer night stands on either side of the bed, drawers under the foot of the bed, drawers under the loveseat. The area that had the TV also had the minibar and an area with 2 shelves. The top of the round seat for this area lifted off to reveal more storage. The bathroom had a "medicine" type cabinet with 2 shelves and a long shelve under the sink for more storage. Our cabin attendants, Ronald and Mata were excellent. They called us by name, filled any request we had, and were always smiling.

We had a table for 2 in the early fixed seating for Dinner. Our wait staff was Indra and Rama. Both did a great job. The food was good - not great but good. Remember there were 1800 people on board to serve. We thought the food on the last day was our least favorite. We did not eat in the dining room other than lunch. We did eat in the Pinnacle Grill for lunch one day compliments of our travel agent. The food was also good but I think the dinner there would have been better. We did eat breakfast and lunch in the Lido deck every day. Most days we were able to find a table with no problems although on the sea days it was more of a challenge. The food was also good here. We liked the waffles with mixed berrys for breakfast!

As for entertainment, we only went to 2 shows, the comedian Jim Labriola and musican Joel Mason. Both were very good. You will need to go early to the shows at the seating fills up fast. The first night Joel Mason was there we went about 10 minutes before the 8 pm show and could not find 2 seats together. There was an 8 and 10 pm show. The lounges were not crowded at night - seems most people retired early.

Our first port of call was Half Moon Cay - we were one of the earliest people off the ship. The sand is very soft and the water was a little cool, but nice. We rented a clam shell which we really didn't use much. Mainly we layed in the sun and I walked the beach. We returned to the Westerdam around 1 pm as I was feeling a little sick - combination of little sleep, a large pina colada ($9.75) on the beach and rocking motion of the ship.

In Aruba we met friends who have a time share there and they were our guides. We shopped a little at the stores near where the ship docks, then drove to Baby beach. This beach was not crowded and the water warm and shallow for quite a ways out. Then it was back to our friends place and to dinner and a carnival show. We did not return to the ship until after 10pm.

In Curacao, we had thought we would take the trolley tour on our own. First we walked around and did some shopping. Then wandered over to the floating fish market and to the Maritime Museum which was a nice cool break. Both in Aruba and here it was hot and windy. We decided we were ready to return to the ship by mid afternoon.

Our Sea Days were spent relaxing in the sun, either on our balcony on on deck 10. On the last full sea day, a passenger had to be evacutaed due to a medical condition that needed more attention. So the coast guard sent out a helicopter to pick him/her up. I hope he/she is okay. People just swarmed the deck to watch the helicopter. I found this a bit unsettling, but I guess most people were just curious. I did participate in the Walk for a Cure - 9 laps around the Promenade deck is equal to 3 miles. Money raised to fund Breast Cancer research.

The ship itself is very nice - a lot of good art work, live flowers on the ship, etc. There were potted orchids on each table in the Lido deck. We did have some rough seas -one day the waves were 24 ft. The ship did seem to have a lot of motion - more than I remember on any other ship. We both took some medicine to help with the queaziness.

We liked the silent disembarkment - you can choose a window of time you want to get off the ship - we chose 10-10:15 and were allowed to stay in our room until that time. Once off the ship, we gathered our luggage and waited for the shuttle to take us to the rental car center at the airport. We spent the night at the Sheraton Airport location and flew back to Iowa on Monday 2/9.

All in all it was a good, relaxing vacation. We would probably sail on HAL again and know we will cruise again on some line.

Thanks very much for the review. I'm going to be on the Westerdam in December doing that same itinerary (also my first HAL cruise). My cabin will also be Upper Promenade - aft. What was your cabin number? I have 4143 (starboard).

We were in 4156 port side. The cabin was nice and the balcony wider than a standard cabin.

Can you explain the silent disembarkment? Haven't cruised with this system before.

On the first day you will receive a form in which you check one of several options for disembarkment including 3 choices of times. You will receive a note from your ship the night before the the final day with what time you can disembark.

Then on the final day they make one announcement for those who want to carry off all their luggage, that was around 7:30 a.m. After that all you hear are chimes for the various times of disembarkment - no loud speaker announcing which group to leave at what time.

As an example, we chose 10-10:30 and were given 10-10:15am to disembark. When that time arrived, we simply left the cabin and went to deck 2 to leave the ship.

You can stay in your cabin until your it is your assigned time to leave the ship. You don't have to go to a lounge or the Lido deck and wait with a group of people.

Well that sounds like a pleasant way to start your day and leave the ship.:) (Tho I always hate that "leaving" part.:()

One other thing, do you know if the dining room is open for breakfast on the last day?? Or is breakfast strictly in the Lido??

Andrea

~~~~~~

We have been on the Westerdam several times. Last was Jan 11, 2009. I was quite surprised to see and "feel" that the pool was not heated this time. Before the main pool under the dome has always been heated. I kept asking the ships officers about this and they kept saying they didn't know they had a heated pool???? Other than that, the cruise and the ship were wonderful.

One other thing, do you know if the dining room is open for breakfast on the last day?? Or is breakfast strictly in the Lido??

I think they had a very short and early dining time in the dining room.

Full Room Service breakfast is also available on the last day. A civilized way to end the cruise.

Well that sounds like a pleasant way to start your day and leave the ship.:) (Tho I always hate that "leaving" part.:()

Andrea

~~~~~~

The dining room is open from 6:30am -8 am for Breakfast on the last day.

Lido is open from 5:50am - 8:30am for Continental and 5:30am-8am for buffet. The Explorations Cafe is open from 7am -9am.

We have a Roll call under roll calls but sao far only 5 groups are signed up rthere. If anyone else reading this is on Westerdam 3-8-09 Westwern Carib, PLEASE comew join our roll call. We's LOVE to meet you!:D

Steve

Just for your info: on our roll call one of the men organized a meet and greet on the ship. We met in the Crows Nest, the Westerdam had some of their staff there and also had water, coffee, cookies and muffins. It was nice to put a face to name.

Just for your info: on our roll call one of the men organized a meet and greet on the ship. We met in the Crows Nest, the Westerdam had some of their staff there and also had water, coffee, cookies and muffins. It was nice to put a face to name.

That's our plan but HAL won't do things like that unless there's 20 or 25 people. We were/are just suprised that so few folks signed up for the Roll Call for our departure.

BTW, we go to different ports than thwe 2/1. I'm stioll looking for a report on the Western Carribbean itinerary.

Steve

• 1 month later...

We were on the 3-8 cruise with different ports than some, but I thought this might bring back some memories for those who went earlier or are going later.

I didn't write my "review" yet. BUT, I did put my photos and videos into a slide show and this should bring back some memories.

I created it on Smilebox in a free account so I couldn't choose the music I prefer but I think it works okay. It has sound videos included so keep your volume up. Should take you about 15 minutes to watch.

Twas a lot of work, and I hope to put together a DVD one day with Windows Movie Maker but this will suffice for now.

Here's the link: (you don't need to log in or sign up for anything to see it.)

http://smilebox.com/playBlog/4f444d774e4459794d413d3d0d0a&blogview=true

Enjoy - I hope!:)

Steve

I enjoyed your pictures, SteveinPhilly, but what was wrong with room 1116? We're next door in 1118 next month. I couldn't tell from the video what was wrong.

No you weren't! You were directly across the hall from us! (Different cruise date though). You had an outside room. We had an INSIDE one. We wanted an inside room on the Promenade Deck or above. We went for a Guarantee. On all lines except HAL the categories go up by level. HAL determines what it THINKS is better. This room wa a bit larger but the TV faced the door.:confused: And on those little cabinets on each side of the bed were HALF the width of what you had. You could really only get into the bed by crawling across from bottom.

There are only a few of these cabins inside on the main deck. BAD configuration. But HAL made it right and moved us to 1081.:)

Steve

Archived