Bahamas Cruise - Need Visa?

inasisi

I am planning to take the Norwegian Gem on Mar 28th 2009 from NYC. I am in the US on a H1 visa. Would I need a visa to get out of the port in Bahamas? When I called up Norwegian Customer Service, they asked me to get in touch with Bahamas Consulate. At the Bahamas consulate they said that all Indian citizens need a visa but did not make any differentiation for arrivals by cruise. The consulate official didn't give me the impression that he was very knowledgeable.

Two years ago when I cruised to Mexico, it was the same story. Mexican consulate said that I needed a visa but when I landed there on a cruise, there was absolutely no Mexican immigration official to check any thing and I could get in without a visa.

Has any one been on a cruise to Bahamas? If so were there any Bahamas Immigration official checking your passport at the port of entry?

I went on a cruise to the Bahamas in September. Nassau to be exact and there were no immigration officials of any kind anywhere to be seen. Once you are out of the boat you go to this tourist info center but all you will find there are vendors for taxis and what not. On your back they do ask to see your cruise pass/boarding id(given by your cruise line) and a photo id (any kind just to verify the boarding pass id is yours). I did not even an id with me and there was no problem. I say that as long as your documentation gets you back to the US there is nothing to worry about in Nassau, at least by cruise. I had a similar issue since I am not from the US and believe me you can forget about the cruise line knowing the answer about any immigration questions but yet again neither did country's consulate.

It varies by nationality. Also even though you don't see an immigration official one comes on board to clear the ship. They are given a ships manifest and if they have any questions they can delay clearing the ship. NCL will check before you get on the ship and if you don't have a required visa you will NOT be allowed to board. Foreign nationals normally go on a separate line for foreign nationals were "specially" trained agents screen you. If a visa is required they will look in your passport and as I said no visa no board. Hopefully someone with experience at the Bahamas from your country will post. Also I suggest posting this question on the NCL boards.

Visa requirements vary depending on which country issued your passport. You might want to try one of the visa services, perhaps they can tell you if you need a visa.

Don't take the absence of officials as a green light for you. NCL will know if you need a visa and will not allow you to board if you do not have a needed visa.

http://www.bahamas.gov.bs/bahamasweb2/home.nsf/vContentW/GOV--Visiting+the+Bahamas--Visa+Requirements!Opendocument

Indian nationals are from one of the few countries where a visa is required to enter into the Bahamas.....unless you also have a US green card...

and while Mexico has an exception for cruise passengers this site doesn't say the same for the Bahamas

http://bahamas.visahq.com/requirements/India/resident-United_States/

http://mexico.visahq.com/requirements/India/resident-United_States/

cruise ship passengers don't need it for Mexico

Edited by smeyer418

I work with Embassies around the world - and if they tell you that you need a visa - get a visa. While it might not get checked all the time, you do not want to be stuck in a country and not be able to get out. Just get the visa....:o This should not necessarily be one of those things that you would want to skip to save money..... I do know that in the Bahamas, there are cases where people are not let back on the ship because they didn't have the appropriate visas.....

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am Indian Citizen on H1B. I recently went on a Carnival cruise to Nassau, Bahamas and had obtained Bahamian Visas for $55 per person valid for 3 months from the Bahamas' Consulate at Miami. During the embarkation process, I asked the cruise official and she told me that the Bahamian Consulate had tricked me into obtaining a visa as it is not required. I spent several hours at Nassau without even carrying a passport and as mentioned in one the responses above, NO ONE checked my documents. While returning back onboard, the officials simply checked my Carnival Cruise Card and my photo ID (US Driving license)

It is quite possible that a visa is indeed required and they randomly check people but then why would the cruiselines recommend not carrying a passport? I have emailed the consulate for an explanation and they have not yet responded!!! Please email them at consulate@bahamasny.com and share your experience if you hear back from them.

Edited by GATORK

I work with Embassies around the world - and if they tell you that you need a visa - get a visa. While it might not get checked all the time, you do not want to be stuck in a country and not be able to get out. Just get the visa....:o This should not necessarily be one of those things that you would want to skip to save money..... I do know that in the Bahamas, there are cases where people are not let back on the ship because they didn't have the appropriate visas.....

Agreed. If the OP blows off the paperwork, guaranteed something will happen to cause him to be found out.

It is quite possible that a visa is indeed required and they randomly check people but then why would the cruiselines recommend not carrying a passport?

Cruislines don't always train their employees well. When we went on our cruise to Nassau, the RCL web page said that Americans HAD to have passports cruising to the Bahamas. Not knowing any better, we got them. It made sense to me, after all The Bahamas is a foreign country. I later found out that I never needed one then, and I really don't need it now if I cruise out of the USA. Yet this was in writing on their web page.

But if I had missed the ship for whatever reason, it would have been a mess getting back to the USA. I think the OP should consider what would happen if he didn't have all his documentation, and missed his ship due to illness or whatever.....

I finally spoke with the Bahamas Consulate. They said that I need a visa and it is checked before embarkation. When I told them that there were no officials to check the visa, they said that it is not their concern. It is my choice whether or not to obtain the visa and rudely hung up on me :mad:

BOTTOMLINE:

Originally Posted by ddonalds viewpost.gif

I finally spoke with the Bahamas Consulate. They said that I need a visa and it is checked before embarkation. When I told them that there were no officials to check the visa, they said that it is not their concern. It is my choice whether or not to obtain the visa and rudely hung up on me :mad:

At least you know for sure. It's like driving a car. The speed limit is the law, whether or not the police are watching.

Hope getting the visa is easy, and that you have a great vacation!

• 1 year later...

Apparently Bahamas doesn't require a Cruise Visa, according to VisaHQ website, if you are comfortable with that. If I select Bahamas visa for citizens of "India" living in "United States" and choose permanent resident "no" you will notice that visa is not required for Citizens of India visiting Bahamas. Note that some popular countries are in the top rather than in alphabetic order and that includes India.

In fact the message says "Cruise ship passengers do not need a visa regardless of nationality provided they enter and depart on the same vessel."

So, in any case, be safe and give yourself plenty of time (2hrs) so you don't miss the ship. It is not fun missing the ship with or without the visa

Edited by Cruiserama9

Apparently Bahamas doesn't require a Cruise Visa, according to VisaHQ website, if you are comfortable with that. If I select Bahamas visa for citizens of "India" living in "United States" and choose permanent resident "no" you will notice that visa is not required for Citizens of India visiting Bahamas. Note that some popular countries are in the top rather than in alphabetic order and that includes India.

In fact the message says "Cruise ship passengers do not need a visa regardless of nationality provided they enter and depart on the same vessel."

So, in any case, be safe and give yourself plenty of time (2hrs) so you don't miss the ship. It is not fun missing the ship with or without the visa

This thread is two years old. Your research is a little late for the OP. EM

• 1 year later...

I visited Bahamas in Nov-2013 thru Carnival Cruise from Miami. My Visa Status was H1B and my wife and kid were on H4. We didn't apply for any particular Visa for Bahamas. We were there for a complete day and came back to Cruise in the evening without any issue.

However if you stay in Bahamas overnight then you might need a VISA.

I visited Bahamas in Nov-2013 thru Carnival Cruise from Miami. My Visa Status was H1B and my wife and kid were on H4. We didn't apply for any particular Visa for Bahamas. We were there for a complete day and came back to Cruise in the evening without any issue.

Did you notice you pulled up a thread that was over four years old? One would assume OP took or didn't take their cruise long ago.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Arvind. This should help some of our friends parents who have visitors visa to US. I think the most important thing for any cruise travel is to make sure they have valid visa to get back to US. So, a multiple H-1B or any multiple entry visa to US should be fine. Since cruises give you an ID while boarding that is used to get off and on the ship, they should be fine. I've heard of many US visitor visa holders cruising to Nassau, and Mexico without need to those island visas. You just confirmed things are still the same.

Thanks Arvind for posting your experience.

I am planning to Cruise in Mid June to Bahamas (h1b visa). Cruise line mentioned that VISA to bahamas is not required but the consulate of Bahamas website mentions VISA is required.

Did you travel during NOV 2012?

Thanks Arvind for posting your experience.

I am planning to Cruise in Mid June to Bahamas (h1b visa). Cruise line mentioned that VISA to bahamas is not required but the consulate of Bahamas website mentions VISA is required.

Did you travel during NOV 2012?

My Partener has Pakistani passport with Multi Visit USA Visa according to bahamas consultant web site he needs to optain a Visa but when I have checked with them they told me that it would take one month to tow month to get the Visa.

The Cruise line are helpless

Can any one confirm if US multi Visit Visa is enough to go to bahamas via royal carrebien cruise

• 7 months later...

Hi.I would like to know whether its ok to travel to Bahamas on a tourist visa while on Advance Parole(AP)

I have already applied for Bahamas tourist visa from New York,USA.

I am an Indian citizen.I have my H1B valid till 2015,but the H1B visa in the passport expired in 2012 and ever since 2012,I have been travelling on Advance Parole/EAD(Combo card).My I-485 is pending.My AP is valid till 2014 May.

Could anybody suggest if its ok to travel while on AP and also re-enter back to US?????

Highly appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
Thanks Arvind. This should help some of our friends parents who have visitors visa to US. I think the most important thing for any cruise travel is to make sure they have valid visa to get back to US. So, a multiple H-1B or any multiple entry visa to US should be fine. Since cruises give you an ID while boarding that is used to get off and on the ship, they should be fine. I've heard of many US visitor visa holders cruising to Nassau, and Mexico without need to those island visas. You just confirmed things are still the same.

I have Cruise trip comming up in the next few days, on the Carnival Fascination to the Bahamas (Nassau and FreePort). I have my mother included on the trip - who has a Indian Passport with multiple US ReEntry Visa. I am hoping that visa requirements as mentioned by Arvind has not changed recently. Can somone please confirm if they went on a Bahamas cruise with Carnival recently(2014) and they did not take a Bahamas Visa - other than the US visa?

Edited by pkirangi

• 1 month later...
I have Cruise trip comming up in the next few days, on the Carnival Fascination to the Bahamas (Nassau and FreePort). I have my mother included on the trip - who has a Indian Passport with multiple US ReEntry Visa. I am hoping that visa requirements as mentioned by Arvind has not changed recently. Can somone please confirm if they went on a Bahamas cruise with Carnival recently(2014) and they did not take a Bahamas Visa - other than the US visa?

Have the same question as above my parents hold a Indian Passport with Multiple Entry visa B2 for the USA, planning to take them on a cruise in August.

• 2 weeks later...
Have the same question as above my parents hold a Indian Passport with Multiple Entry visa B2 for the USA, planning to take them on a cruise in August.

Hello Everyone....

I am Indian citizen working on L1 in US and planning to go on a Bahamas cruise trip for 4 days in Sep 2014 with my wife who is on L2 (dependant visa). I did called on the Royal Carribean and they asked to contact the Indian embassy to check if visa is required. For those who already took the cruise experience , please do let me know if visa is required for Bahamas even though you are not going to spend night in Bahamas.

Thanks guys!

• 5 months later...