Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Is there a train service that I can catch from Penn Newark Station to the Bayonne Port? If so just how close would it get me to the port? I assume I would need a taxi from that station to the ship, just how much would that cost one way to the ship?

Thanks

Jimbo:)

We've booked with http://www.blackexecutivecars.com/index.html after recommendations on these boards. $45 + tip station to Cape Liberty.

Simon

jimbo..a taxi from the light rail to the pier shouldn;t be more than 10 bucks. maybe 15 tops!...it's really NOT far, but too far to walk.....

taking a cab or car servicefrom Newark Penn would be less hassle, but about 40-45 bucks......i used black exec cars (same as simon) and they were GREAT!

btw..amanda...138east is a SHE! ;) Just thought you might like to know!

Thanks Meg! I am a she and my name is Carol.

I have yet to see a posting from someone who went to Cape Liberty on the light rail, but...... I have hopes.

How's your mom? It turned out that my mom had bronchitis, not pneumonia. Her timing was really bad, but she enjoyed the cruise anyway.

Darn Royal Caribbean charging $19.00 a day at the pier?:(:(

We are coming from Exit 7 New Jersey Turnpike.

Trying to save a few bucks, Looks like one way or the other someone is going to get that $250.00

Anyone know if for a 13 day cruise if you are charged for 13 or 14 days?

Parking 1st day on a Sunday and returning on a Saturday, is that 13 or 14 times $19.00 ?

Thanks Meg! I am a she and my name is Carol.

I have yet to see a posting from someone who went to Cape Liberty on the light rail, but...... I have hopes.

How's your mom? It turned out that my mom had bronchitis, not pneumonia. Her timing was really bad, but she enjoyed the cruise anyway.

We have traveled to New York City on the train from where we live in South Jersey, Actually it wasn't bad at all. Just 2 trains, Riverline(Florence, NJ to Trenton,NJ) Northeast Corridor (Trenton to Penn Station New York City) Total time, about 1 hour and 45 minutes if you hit all the 2 trains just right.

Just not sure we want to try it with all our luggage, everything has wheels though and hooks together.

Never got off at the Newark Penn Station before how easy or difficult would that be to get the Path Train from there and from the Path Train to the Hudson-Bergen Light rail ? Elevators, stairs, where we buy the next's train's tickets?

13 days is 13 days. You prepay when you park.

This is not like normal parking. It's not really a public lot. I don't think the general public can get into the port area except on ship days. I think they collect the money only on embarkation day and then they disappear until the ship returns.

We have traveled to New York City on the train from where we live in South Jersey, Actually it wasn't bad at all. Just 2 trains, Riverline(Florence, NJ to Trenton,NJ) Northeast Corridor (Trenton to Penn Station New York City) Total time, about 1 hour and 45 minutes if you hit all the 2 trains just right.

Just not sure we want to try it with all our luggage, everything has wheels though and hooks together.

Never got off at the Newark Penn Station before how easy or difficult would that be to get the Path Train from there and from the Path Train to the Hudson-Bergen Light rail ? Elevators, stairs, where we buy the next's train's tickets?

The PATH trains are generally right across the platform....when I used to take NJT to PATH i basically got OFF NJT and walked thru the gate to get onto the PATH...easy. I think you buy the PATH tix at a machine right next to the gate....it's been a while since i've done that!;)

as for the light rail??/ not sure. i would THINK that since the lightrails (the Trenton one and the Begen) are FAIRLY new....they would have elevators...i haven't used the Bergen line so i'm not sure about tix and such, but i would guess that it would be similar to the Trenton line...i figure NJTransit isnt smart enough to be different!!!:rolleyes:

Hope someone can give me a hint on this question. We will be coming into NJ on 3/6 for the Explorer of the Seas. Is there a "good" time to get to port to avoid lines/traffic? We are coming from upstate NY and we're looking to plan our departure time.

Hope someone can give me a hint on this question. We will be coming into NJ on 3/6 for the Explorer of the Seas. Is there a "good" time to get to port to avoid lines/traffic? We are coming from upstate NY and we're looking to plan our departure time.

It really makes no difference...you are paying for the 1st day on the ship, you may as well be ON the ship as early as you can. (usually boarding starts about noon)

we tend to get there around 11. the traffic is bad into the port...it's just bad design. Mainly because the pick up people and drop off people all go the same way.

You CAN just park first and carry your stuff over to the terminal depending on how much you have..and whether you want to lug the stuff. otherwise, just drop it off, go park and one person walks back.

we're only an hour away, but we stay at a hotel nearby and take a cab, thus eliminating the 19 bucks a day to park and the hassle of traffic. hey, i'm from jersey...we have traffic....!:eek:

That's a Friday morning, so I would be more worried about avoiding the NY commuter traffic than the lines at the port. Where are you coming from in upstate NY? I like to arrive around 11 am - time to park, get through the check in, have a cup of coffee and cookies, and board around 12 - 12:30. Leisurely lunch in the Windjammer - access to the room at 1:30 - lots of time to explore the ship, check dining room seating, and make Portofino's and excursion reservations before sailaway.

jimbo..a taxi from the light rail to the pier shouldn;t be more than 10 bucks. maybe 15 tops!...it's really NOT far, but too far to walk.....

taking a cab or car servicefrom Newark Penn would be less hassle, but about 40-45 bucks......i used black exec cars (same as simon) and they were GREAT!

btw..amanda...138east is a SHE! ;) Just thought you might like to know!

Oh i'm sorry. I didn't know.

A Taxi from 9th street in Bayonne to the port is $9 so Meg is right no way should it be more than $10 from the light rail.

I truly suggest the earlier the better, after about 12PM it gets packed, that is the busiest times, i'd say the earlier the better.

Not really. There is a bus from Port Authority in NY that goes near the port, but you must get off and take a cab just like from the light rail.

Cape Liberty is on a peninsula of land that can only be accessed by private vehicles.

Hi. I'm new to cruising and have a few questions for you guys. We are scheduled to begin disembarkation at 7:00 am on a Saturday in Bayonne. They said to allow up to 4 hours to get off the ship (Explorer of the Seas). Do you guys know if it's realistic for me to get a flight that leaves at 11:44 am out of Newark?

Also if we opt for the later flight (4:14 pm) are there cool places to hang out near the port, or near the airport to kill some time? Any cool cafes or restaurants, or any other fun things to do for a few hours?

We are a late twenties couple celebrating our honeymoon. On a budget.

Thanks!

We are staying at the Country Inn & Suites next to the Jersey Gardens Mall. However friends who are staying with us (and have more expensive tastes ;)) would like to visit Woodbury Common outlets. Does anyone know whether there would be an easy way to get from one place to the other.

Hi. I'm new to cruising and have a few questions for you guys. We are scheduled to begin disembarkation at 7:00 am on a Saturday in Bayonne. They said to allow up to 4 hours to get off the ship (Explorer of the Seas). Do you guys know if it's realistic for me to get a flight that leaves at 11:44 am out of Newark?

Also if we opt for the later flight (4:14 pm) are there cool places to hang out near the port, or near the airport to kill some time? Any cool cafes or restaurants, or any other fun things to do for a few hours?

We are a late twenties couple celebrating our honeymoon. On a budget.

Thanks!

11:44AM flight might be too early only because of airport regulation you need to be at the airport 2 hours before your flight. You may be okay then.

If you go for the later flight, there's a movie theatre in Bayonne near the port you can take a taxi to. There's really just places to eat, a little bit of shopping in Bayonne.

We are staying at the Country Inn & Suites next to the Jersey Gardens Mall. However friends who are staying with us (and have more expensive tastes ;)) would like to visit Woodbury Common outlets. Does anyone know whether there would be an easy way to get from one place to the other.

Woodbury Commons is a drive away, I don't know how much a Taxi would cost.

Thank you ladies! I decided to take my chances and I just purchased tickets for the 11:44 am flight out. We will definitely self-disembark. By the time the cruise is over we will really just want to get home! So hopefully that works out. I really appreciate you guys offering your advice to everyone... you rock! Have a great weekend!

Mmmmm - I don't think they'll bother with that - seems a waste of good time which could be spent elsewhere ;)

It's well over an hour so you'd be best suited to rent a car....BUT being from the UK, i would suggest that you NOT drive! the traffic between Newark and woodbury is, well horrible sometimes...and while it's not a complicated route, it isn't super easy if you aren't familiar wth the area. it's (according to google maps) just over an hour, which means probably 90 minutes with traffic (google seems to underestimate trips!) and the first 15-20 miles are REALLY slow the way it gave me........)

I'd hit Jersey gardens outlets across the street..and if you want, cab it to Newark Penn Train station and hop the PATH train into lower Manhattan. You can go the Century 21 department store (near the World trade center site) and get really great bargains on designer clothes.....OR hop NJ transit into Manhattan and go to Macys at Herald Square...they can have REALLY good sales (even with the sales tax-but not everything gets taxed...depends on how much you spend...hard to explain!) sometimes the sales there are even better than outlets!

you could hit bergdorfs, barneys, lord & taylor, bloomingdales, anything in NYC....just my opinion....woodbury commons is TOO BIG and really NOT good deals!

www.panynj.com

www.njtransit.com

www.c21stores.com

www.macys.com

Archived