Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Hi. I'm new to cruising and have a few questions for you guys. We are scheduled to begin disembarkation at 7:00 am on a Saturday in Bayonne. They said to allow up to 4 hours to get off the ship (Explorer of the Seas). Do you guys know if it's realistic for me to get a flight that leaves at 11:44 am out of Newark?

Also if we opt for the later flight (4:14 pm) are there cool places to hang out near the port, or near the airport to kill some time? Any cool cafes or restaurants, or any other fun things to do for a few hours?

We are a late twenties couple celebrating our honeymoon. On a budget.

Thanks!

debark tends to begin around 8-8:30...if you do express debark and carry your stuff off, get into a cab, and head to EWR you will be fine. are you flying domestic or international????

you should be fine. there is NO PLACE cool to kill time...you would be too early to check your bags and all the interesting food is BEYOND security. there is nothing cool near the port.

i think you would be ok with the early flight...I personally wouldn't do it as i travel with a seasoned citizen and cannot carry my crap off! (but i live in jersey so i dont have to fly!)

I'd hit Jersey gardens outlets across the street..and if you want, cab it to Newark Penn Train station and hop the PATH train into lower Manhattan. You can go the Century 21 department store (near the World trade center site) and get really great bargains on designer clothes.....OR hop NJ transit into Manhattan and go to Macys at Herald Square...they can have REALLY good sales (even with the sales tax-but not everything gets taxed...depends on how much you spend...hard to explain!) sometimes the sales there are even better than outlets!

Meg, thanks so much - as ever, a mine of information and much appreciated :cool:

I had no intention of going to Woodbury common - I'm not fussed about designer gear - but asked the question for my friend (who is). However, it sounds like there are enough places much closer and easier to reach which should satisfy her ;)

Meg, thanks so much - as ever, a mine of information and much appreciated :cool:

I had no intention of going to Woodbury common - I'm not fussed about designer gear - but asked the question for my friend (who is). However, it sounds like there are enough places much closer and easier to reach which should satisfy her ;)

we aim to please. I've been to Woodbury...and aside from it being TOO BIG, we bought NOTHING.....the deals are, well, not deals unless you are just lucky!

glad to be of help!

toodles!

We're having trouble getting a good flight in and out of Newark (without sitting in the airport all day). My TA suggested driving up. We are thinking about staying the night before at the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City and then driving to the port the morning of the cruise. Reading here, though, I have the impression that it's not an easy drive into the terminal area, parking and/or unloading luggage. We are two women, capable, but not at all familiar with New Jersey or this port. Does this sound like a bad decision to those of you who have driven and parked? Also, is the parking garage secure (ie., fenced/locked/guarded)?

Thank you for your insight.

In March 2008 I stayed at the Holiday Inn at Newark Airport. It was in the middle of no where. I arrived from LAX around 5 in the afternoon, took the free shuttle to the hotel from airport. Was very nice hotel, slept well, left in the AM to go to the port. So wasn't there long. But the room was lovely as was the hotel. Staff was friendly. I was traveling alone and didn't have any "security" issues about staying there on my own.

It appears that you will be on a 9 day cruise leaving on a Thursday. Can I assume that you do not want to include NY sightseeing in your plans? I would not worry about security. If you can negotiate your way driving through Washington DC, I would not worry about a potential line of traffic to get into the port. I just did it by myself in February with my 90 year old mother, luggage, oxygen, walker and a scooter. There is always some waiting somewhere - just be prepared to amuse yourself.

First of all, I would not try to stay in the Hyatt in Jersey City unless you are planning to go into NY. The hotel is showing at $419 plus tax for your date. Here are some alternative suggestions to consider.

1) Book the Country Inns Newark cruise package - $199 + tax + $35+ parking with breakfast. Transportation to and from the cruise port Advantages: You only have to find exit 13A on the NJ Turnpike. There is a mall next door. Disadvantages: You have to move your luggage into the hotel and out to the shuttle. When you disembark, you have to shuttle back to the hotel before you can get on the road home. This could cost you some time.

2) Stay at the Holiday Inn - $76 + tax + $15 parking + $181 parking at the pier Advantages: You can leave your cruise luggage locked in your trunk until you get to the port where a porter will take it out for you. When you disembark, you get in the car, get on the Turnpike and you are immediately on the way home Disadvantages: No free breakfast. You are pretty much stuck in the hotel for dinner (actually the restaurant gets good recommendations)

Post back what you are thinking about these alternatives.

I just read your post on another board and it got me thinking about other alternatives for your trip. It really seems a shame to drive all the way from Williamsburg to kill an evening in a chain hotel (however nice) before you go on a wonderful cruise. It sounds like you are looking for a nice experience rather than the most economical way to get from point A to B.

Would you consider staying an hour away from the port? I am originally from Princeton, NJ, which has become a mini-destination in and of itself. Like Wiliamsburg, it is originally a colonial college town. The campus is beautiful with a mixture of old and new. The Nassau Inn, which is right in the middle of town on Palmer Square, is showing a room with breakfast for $199 + tax for your date. In the fall, there might even be a theater option on a Wednesday evening. There are many restaurants and shops within walking distance of the hotel and the area would be comfortable and safe - certainly a lot more charming than a Jersey City or Newark hotel. The port in Bayonne would be about an hour away - an easy drive after rush hour. I know if I were crusiing out of Norfolk I would consider in a heart beat staying one night in Williamsburg before the cruise.

Good morning 138East!

What lovely thoughtful responses to my inquiry. You are correct that I wasn't necessarily looking for the most economical stay. BUT: we had decided against going into NYC (haven't been there since the Watergate hearings, many many years ago:eek:). Neither one of us felt like scurrying around on this trip, or learning a new turf. So, upon reflecting on your post (and that on another board), I decided it was a big waste of $$ to stay at the Hyatt, just for the view. Will do that another time when I'm ready to tackle New York.

Your suggestion of Princeton is lovely. I'm sure I would love the ambiance. It sounds a lot like Wmbg. When I ran this by my traveling companion she felt it might be too hectic driving up to the port the next am in the rush hour. So we have probably opted for the Holiday Inn (full service restaurant on the property; nice looking rooms and beds; certainly inexpensive). This way, we can drive up leisurely (as much as I95 admits of leisure), park ourselves in the Holiday Inn, and have a straight shoot to the ship the next morning.

I can't tell you how much your (and others) posts on these boards have help take the mystery and anxiety out of the unknown. Wish you all were going on the Oct 1 9-nighter with me.

Many many thanks, and you may not have heard the last of me :)

JJ

The Holiday Inn should work fine for you. However, if you were to stay in Princeton, you should miss most of the rush hour even on a Thursday morning. You would not have to leave until 9:30 -10 am to get to the port at Bayonne by 11 to board at 12 at the earliest. The drive is Route 1 to New Brunswick (4 lane divided highway with traffic lights - before 10 am is before the shopping centers open). The Turnpike from New Brunswick (Exit 9) and Newark (Exit 14 to go to Exit 14A Bayonne) has a cars only section. I don't think it would matter if you drive it the afternoon before or the morning of your departure.

Be sure to print out the directions to the Holiday Inn. At Exit 14 you must take I78 LOCAL and get off at the first exit Frontage Road. If you miss the exit you will be lost in a sea of confusing roadways around Newark Airport. Getting back onto the turnpike is much less confusing - the hotel will give you specific directions. It is a straight shot across the bridge to Exit 14A. You go straight at the exit and follow the road around until you come to the light at route 440. You make a left and go to the first light where you make another left onto Port Terminal Blvd.

Hi Band1Mom, aka Terri! Appreciated your endorsement of the Holiday Inn. It's especially nice to know you felt safe there when traveling alone. BTW,

I'm JJ (license is AKAJJ).:D

Hehe, my license is CRZTERI Supposed to stand for CRUZTERRI my nick in chat rooms and such, but hubby says CRAZY Terri is more apt. LOL

Just booked the Holiday Inn Newark for our one night pre-cruise in September. Less than $100 for one night. We will use the free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and then taxi it to the pier, hopefully we can get a stop at a convenience store to pick up pepsi (I'm a pepsi-holic). I don't drink coffee, so I like a cold pepsi in the AM instead :D

Enjoy your cruise, I did the 9-night this time last year with a friend.

Hey 138East... I'm printing off your info on Princeton for future reference. I'm pretty sure I will be doing this NE/Canada cruise again. I have medical issues that make cruising close to the US important. Despite the allure of NYC, Princeton sounds wonderful for a pre-cruise stay. And thank you for the heads up about Frontage Road. You have been wonderfully imaginative in your suggestions.

JJ

Hehe, my license is CRZTERI Supposed to stand for CRUZTERRI my nick in chat rooms and such, but hubby says CRAZY Terri is more apt. LOL

Just booked the Holiday Inn Newark for our one night pre-cruise in September. Less than $100 for one night. We will use the free shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and then taxi it to the pier, hopefully we can get a stop at a convenience store to pick up pepsi (I'm a pepsi-holic). I don't drink coffee, so I like a cold pepsi in the AM instead :D

CRZTERI! Crazy makes sense to me :rolleyes:

Which cruise are you doing in September? I'm impressed with the EOS itineraries. I've done the Caribbean out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Galveston so much--am looking for something new, but can't do exotics like Europe, so the Explorer is appealing.

I need to introduce you to my cousin. She's a Pepsi freak too--first thing out of bed in the morning :eek: I always take a case of water aboard due to kidney issues--and RCI has always delivered it to my cabin.

Thank you for your recommondation of the Holiday Inn (along with 138East).

Have a great cruise!

JJ

PS, 138East...

If you ever decide on sailing from Norfolk and want to stay over in Williamsburg pre-cruise, let me know. I'll be glad to help in any way I can. Even buy you a glass of wine on DOG street :cool:

JJ

The Holiday Inn should work fine for you. However, if you were to stay in Princeton, you should miss most of the rush hour even on a Thursday morning. You would not have to leave until 9:30 -10 am to get to the port at Bayonne by 11 to board at 12 at the earliest. The drive is Route 1 to New Brunswick (4 lane divided highway with traffic lights - before 10 am is before the shopping centers open). The Turnpike from New Brunswick (Exit 9) and Newark (Exit 14 to go to Exit 14A Bayonne) has a cars only section. I don't think it would matter if you drive it the afternoon before or the morning of your departure.

carol i didn't know you were FROM princeton....sheesh. i work there.

the drive up wouldn't be bad...you could leave P-ton at 10 and be at the pier by 11:30...fun little town....

in any event....have fun.....let us know if you need anything else.!

check my blog (link below)...you could probably cab it to the stop n shop and get your stuff....there really aren't any convenience stores around....and there is NOTHING at the jersey gardens mall that will have soda (well maybe single bottles--you're better off getting a taxi to the store...shouldn't be too much!)

Meg, yes, I have Princeton on the radar for a future cruise. My travel companion wants to ease into the Holiday Inn this time.

It's a small world, isn't it? You gals are great!! See you some time on the Explorer!

CRZTERI! Crazy makes sense to me :rolleyes:

Which cruise are you doing in September? I'm impressed with the EOS itineraries. I've done the Caribbean out of Miami, Ft. Lauderdale and Galveston so much--am looking for something new, but can't do exotics like Europe, so the Explorer is appealing.

I need to introduce you to my cousin. She's a Pepsi freak too--first thing out of bed in the morning :eek: I always take a case of water aboard due to kidney issues--and RCI has always delivered it to my cabin.

Thank you for your recommondation of the Holiday Inn (along with 138East).

Have a great cruise!

JJ

Hi! We are going on the Explorer for Christmas 2009, so I logged on to get some ideas about where to stay. The Holiday Inn is sounding like a good bet for the 4 of us. Thanks for the great info!

Mona Wexler

Pooh - thanks for the invite. I've never been to Williamsburg - I don't know how I missed it since it seems I spent my childhood vacations driving all over the east coast on vacations.

Jimbo - that is a very interesting web site. I'm not surprised someone else got in the cruise parking business. The only problem is whether the savings outweighs the convenience of parking at the port. There's nothing like coming out of the Bayonne terminal and getting in your car and hitting the road.

Jimbo - that is a very interesting web site. I'm not surprised someone else got in the cruise parking business. The only problem is whether the savings outweighs the convenience of parking at the port. There's nothing like coming out of the Bayonne terminal and getting in your car and hitting the road.

yeah it is interesting......Hmm...approx 5 bucks a day savings...may not be worth it...............but it's an alternative for those wanting to save a few bucks.....

Archived