Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

Boarding usually starts around noon. However, I have boarded as early as 11:30 and as late as 12:30. Just be prepared to wait a bit. If you arrive at 11, by the time you offload your bags, park, go through security, check in, and get your picture taken, it will be 11:30.

Coffee, tea, and cookies are provided. If you do not have priority boarding, they give out numbers for boarding. It all seems to move very quickly, but be sure to have a book or magazine.

138east - Thanks for the reply. We are driving in on I-78. I am thinking about spending the night before at Basking Ridge, NJ and then driving into the port on Sunday morning to board the ship. Would this be an easy drive on Sunday AM? Is parking at the port the best choice?

I think the Basking Ridge area would be perfect. Driving to Bayonne on Sunday morning is the easiest day of the week from anywhere - very little traffic. You are more likely to find what you are looking for anywhere west of Summit NJ along I78 - a nice suburban hotel/motel with surrounding restaurant services in a comfortable area.

Can you help me pick the best route to the port? I'm coming from central CT on a Thursday morning. According to google maps, my choices are:

1.I-84 West to 15 South to Saw Mill River Pkwy to Henry Hudson Pkwy to 9A South to I-78 West to exit 14a

2. I-84 West to I-684 West to Saw Mill River Pkwy then as above

3. 3rd option takes I-95 and I hate I-95 through NY....

Also, I recall seeing GREAT directions from 138 East about what to do once you get off the exit in Bayonne. But I can't seem to find that post. And apparently GPS is wrong & area is poorly marked? Can I bother you to repost those directions?

THANKS!

IMO Option 1 is by far the best - I have tried all of them and option 1 is the most consistently good - worth every penny of the $3 toll to avoid I95 and its scary trucks.

When you come off at exit 14a, go straight ahead onto a big ramp that curves up and left. Stay on the right and bear right until you come to the traffic light at route 440. Make a LEFT at the traffic light, stay LEFT, and make a LEFT at the next traffic light. That is the road to the port.

The signs are there, but they are hard to spot if you are concentrating on the driving. I was there in Feb and I did notice the signs for the Bayonne Bridge (these are OK to follow until you get onto 440) but not all the signs for the cruiseport.

IMO Option 1 is by far the best - I have tried all of them and option 1 is the most consistently good - worth every penny of the $3 toll to avoid I95 and its scary trucks.

When you come off at exit 14a, go straight ahead onto a big ramp that curves up and left. Stay on the right and bear right until you come to the traffic light at route 440. Make a LEFT at the traffic light, stay LEFT, and make a LEFT at the next traffic light. That is the road to the port.

The signs are there, but they are hard to spot if you are concentrating on the driving. I was there in Feb and I did notice the signs for the Bayonne Bridge (these are OK to follow until you get onto 440) but not all the signs for the cruiseport.

THANK YOU!!!!

glad we agree on I-95. I'm traumatized from I-95 after weekly trips between Darien, CT and Staten Island, NY when I was in college...

We (4 pax) have to go from the Times Square area to the Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal (April 29th). I thought that using a car service may be cheaper than a taxi and got a few quotes from some of the companies mentioned on this site. The first quoted $85.00 with all taxes and tolls included. The other quoted $60.00 without tolls and gratuity. Can anyone give me any idea how much the tolls normally cost? I am trying to determine which company to choose.

It depends on how the cab goes. Tunnel toll is $8 (a cab with ezpass may pay only $6 off-peak). Tolls are either $1.80 or $5.20 depending on the route. I'm betting a NY cab will go down the west side to the Holland Tunnel - $1.80 toll. Why don't you post the names of the car services to see if anyone has experience with them.

It depends on how the cab goes. Tunnel toll is $8 (a cab with ezpass may pay only $6 off-peak). Tolls are either $1.80 or $5.20 depending on the route. I'm betting a NY cab will go down the west side to the Holland Tunnel - $1.80 toll. Why don't you post the names of the car services to see if anyone has experience with them.

dial7 quoted $60 without tolls & gratuity

Black Car Transportation quoted $85 taxes and tolls included

Which is the better choice?

dial7 quoted $60 without tolls & gratuity

Black Car Transportation quoted $85 taxes and tolls included

Which is the better choice?

Dial 7 because they are a NY based company and have always provided excellent service to me. Will cost right at $80-85 with tolls, taxes and gratuity.

I'MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Baaaaaaaccccccccccccccckkkkkk!

hi gang!!

carol, greatam and others, thanks for holding this down while i (and carol) were gone.....

BTW....the OP of this...hazeleyes, hasn't been back to answer questions in like a year - since she started.

i am looking to update my blog...mainly as i saw a few hotel shuttles pulling into the pier...BUT i barely saw the names of them...so i have to look and see what's around!

happy sailings all!

meg

Good find, Meg. Looks like Hilton Gardens has a lot of potential. It seems to be cheaper, but no breakfast. It's not clear about the parking either.

I saw them the day we got there for part 1, in the snow on my way to the store between legs of the b2b and yesterday.

there was at least 1 other one, but i can't seem to figure that out.....bummer.

If anyone wants to stay in staten island.....here is an option. they have a shuttle to the pier....full disclosure, i am not familiar with THIS hotel but, HGIs are generally very nice....and i DID see this van 2 or 3 times...

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=EWRSIGI

I called them this morning to inquire as we leave Port Liberty on May 30. I was quoted a rate of $169 plus tax - AND that includes parking for the week. They also said I could book using my Hilton points (30,000 points) and parking is complimentary.

I have not stayed at this Hilton Garden Inn but they are usually very nice. If you are a Hilton Gold and Diamond member breakfast for two is included in the rate. Otherwise you can purchase breakfast (cooked to order) and it is usually about $11/person (but I did not ask their breakfast price).

Parking at the pier for the week is $133. Interesting new option here... Thank you Meg for this option!

Staten Island isn't bad. I've driven across it from Brooklyn several time this past year. If you're coming north on the NJ turnpike, get off at exit 10 and take the Outerbridge Crossing onto route 440. You'll save some $$ from not driving on the turnpike that will go towards the $8 bridge toll.

Looks like Country Inns now has some competition. CI is a good deal if you don't have a car, but the Hilton Garden could be a better deal if you do have a car. I wonder if they charge extra for the shuttle if you are more than 2 people?

Archived