Bayonne NJ Resident will help with FAQ

hazeleyes

When we crised out of Bayonne 1/08 they were doing a lot of construction near the port...Can you tell me what they were building, and if any of it is complete?

THX!

They are building condos the construction is still underway, no traffic is causes due to the construction. You will be ok.

1)Many years ago when I lived in Jersey City,it was necessary to have a special passport to get into Bayonne. Is that still the case?

2)Does Bayonne still have more bars per square mile than a cruise ship?

3) Is Judike's Bakery still open? Is it still as good? I loved the Half Moon cake,all the doughnuts,and the onion filled rolls.

What memories I have of Venice Pizzaria,and Uncle Miltie's!

1st question - no you dont need any special passport to get into Bayonne.

2 - Im not sure how many bars are in my town, because I dont hang out in them lol, but i'm sure it has its share just like other places.

3 - Judike's is still here and people swear by it.

Debbie,

Do you have any experience with the Hudson Plaza Motel? The few reviews I am seeing are not positive and my impression is that this a motel that might not suit folks about to depart on a cruise.

Most of the folks seeking a motel room for the night before the cruise are from abroad or live more than 4 hours away. They are unfamiliar with the Newark/Bayonne/Jersey City area and are overwhelmed by the many choices. Typically a brand name hotel (3* or more) at Newark Airport will be satisfactory and there are often excellent deals. I have seen the Holiday Inn offered at $56 in the last few weeks. It becomes more complicated if they want easy access to NYC or a place to leave their car while cruising.

Well, just to be able to answer your questions we drove by the place yesterday, It looks decent from outside as far as i could see. I guess for a one night sleep over it cant be that bad. It all depends on peoples budgets and what they are looking for.

Some places out of Newark offer a stay and cruise package and you can leave your car parked there.

Other people come and fly and go directly to the ship the day of, and some people fly and stay over a night or two. So if a person is going to visit NYC they might want to just stay in that area to be able to see more and not have to spend time traveling back and forth.

But for those that are just sleeping over one night the hotels i listed are the ones in the area close to the hotel.

Bayonne does not have a hotel yet, but there are alot of nice places to eat at in Bayonne.

Also in Hoboken they are opening a new hotel come March. Its the W, its expensive but nice.

Hi thanks to both of you for offering help! I have a question for you. I will be flying in to Newark on Porter on a Friday around noon. I hear there is a bus that takes you right in to NY that you can get from the airport. Could either of you tell me where in the airport I can find the bus, what the bus is called and where I should get off (I am staying at the Marriott Time Square 114 West 40th St.). Thanks!

Ok im starting to work on your questions.

So far i found a good site for you with alot of things to read up on.

http://www.panynj.gov/CommutingTravel/airports/html/newarkliberty.html

There is a Hilton near Newark penn station....it's probably fine, but i tend to avoid DT newark.....

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

for the person wanting bus info from EWR into manhattan

note, it may not be the easiest thing with bags, but there SHOULD be storage under the bus....i would get off at the Port Authority and hop a cab to the NY Marriott Marquis....shouldn't be too much...

also, check my blog for additional info....

Debbie,

Please do a search on the Hudson Plaza Motel Bayonne Review and read some of the comments made on Trip Advisor and Travbuddy plus others. It may look OK on a driveby, but folks who have actually stayed there are not enthusiastic.

Hilton - Phone - 973-622-5000

1 Gateway Center, Newark NJ

http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hotel/EWRHGHF-Hilton-Newark-Penn-Station-New-Jersey/index.do?WT.srch=1

Best Western - Robert Treat Hotel 973-622-0118

Ste 100, 50 Park Place, Newark NJ

http://www.rthotel.com/

Hotel Carlton 973-642-7100

24E Park Street, Newark NJ

No web site for that one

Broad Street Hotel 973-242-2520

882 Broad Street, Newark NJ

No web site for that one

Ramada Hotel 201-824-4000

US Highway 1 & Hayne, Newark NJ

http://www.ramada.com/Ramada/control/home

Folks have liked the Hilton and Robert Treat. Robert Treat has a shuttle to the train station, but you might want to plan to take a cab back to the hotel. There is a walkway to the Hilton. The Ramada is not near the train station - if you want to stay on Route 1, then you should look at all the Newark Airport hotels to see who has a good deal.

Newark is a very urban area - not a place to wander around on foot at night and probably not a place to book a hotel that does not have a web site. However, the transportation to NY is great - both the train ($4) and Path ($1.75) will take you into Manhattan.

I myself never stood in any hotel in Newark, Jersey City, Elizabeth, or NYC since I live here there is no need for me to stay in any. And to add to that I would not stay in the Newark Penn Station area unless I knew for sure that i was not going to wander off on my own in those areas.

I've gone to the New Jersey Devils games there and the area is definately nicer now than it was way back in time. But unless i know the area i would never wander off alone.

Even when we cruise and get off the ports, i do alot of homework on each area before i decide on what to do. When I cruise with my 21 year old daughter we watch what we do also at the ports. When we travel in packs of 6 or more im ok that nothing will happen. Even though nothing is ever assured i dont take chances unless i feel good about it.

I would never recommend something that i didnt feel comfortable about. Each person has to make the final decision on there own. I dont work for any of those hotels and i'm not making any money off of refering them to anyone. I'm just trying to help those with questions about the closest hotels in the area. All the people who post on cruise critic are great and with everyone telling us there experiences is what will help me make my final decisions as well. Hope this helps.

Folks have liked the Hilton and Robert Treat. Robert Treat has a shuttle to the train station, but you might want to plan to take a cab back to the hotel. There is a walkway to the Hilton. The Ramada is not near the train station - if you want to stay on Route 1, then you should look at all the Newark Airport hotels to see who has a good deal.

Newark is a very urban area - not a place to wander around on foot at night and probably not a place to book a hotel that does not have a web site. However, the transportation to NY is great - both the train ($4) and Path ($1.75) will take you into Manhattan.

They also have the Light rail that brings you right into Bayonne for 1.75. If people wanted to they could take the path to either Jersey City or Hoboken and pick up the light rail. Alot of people dont like taking trains, but i find it to be easy and cheap. When we went to Europe i took trains everywhere from the cruise port.

According to the article it states that by this summer the public will be able to enjoy the Village Commons, a triangular shaped 1.5 acre.

Designed as a passive park the village commons is essentially a green lawn with newly planted trees and flower beds along with benches for relaxaion.

According to the article it states that by this summer the public will be able to enjoy the Village Commons, a triangular shaped 1.5 acre.

Designed as a passive park the village commons is essentially a green lawn with newly planted trees and flower beds along with benches for relaxaion.

Yup.

Hello,

Thanks for the info! I am cruising out of NJ next month. Here's my question (I haven't seen this mentioned so far but forgive me if it's a repeat question.): I know if I was going on a plane I would have to be careful about putting toiletries in special bottles and not bringing a water bottle, etc. Is that also true for my luggage when I get on the ship in NJ? I am not bringing anything dangerous or anything, but I just want to know if the same rules apply. I would hate to hold things up or have my stuff moved around all because I have too much saline solution or something! Thanks for any advice or input. :-)

Hello,

Thanks for the info! I am cruising out of NJ next month. Here's my question (I haven't seen this mentioned so far but forgive me if it's a repeat question.): I know if I was going on a plane I would have to be careful about putting toiletries in special bottles and not bringing a water bottle, etc. Is that also true for my luggage when I get on the ship in NJ? I am not bringing anything dangerous or anything, but I just want to know if the same rules apply. I would hate to hold things up or have my stuff moved around all because I have too much saline solution or something! Thanks for any advice or input. :-)

Do you mean like lotions or flat irons?

No flat iron, but just the regular toiletries like shampoo, gel, etc. There are guidelines and limitations for how much "liquid" you can take on a plane. That's why they sell those special sized travel toiletries bottles and stuff. Does that apply to the ship as well? Do they scan and go through your bag? I don't mind if they do (nothing to hide) but I would like to know ahead of time. Thank you!

No flat iron, but just the regular toiletries like shampoo, gel, etc. There are guidelines and limitations for how much "liquid" you can take on a plane. That's why they sell those special sized travel toiletries bottles and stuff. Does that apply to the ship as well? Do they scan and go through your bag? I don't mind if they do (nothing to hide) but I would like to know ahead of time. Thank you!

They xray your carry on but you can take whatever you want......just remember, you will have to lug your carry on with you until cabins are ready, so you may want to put that kind of stuff in your bags that you give to the porters...

Is there a train service that I can catch from Penn Newark Station to the Bayonne Port? If so just how close would it get me to the port? I assume I would need a taxi from that station to the ship, just how much would that cost one way to the ship?

Thanks

Jimbo:)

At Newark Penn Station you would take Path to Exchange Place in Jersey City ($1.75). Then you would transfer to the Hudson-Bergen Light rail ($1.90) to 34th Street in Bayonne. This is very close to the port, but you would have to call a cab to take you the rest of the way. Taxis are listed near the top of this thread.

I don't think the ship has guidelines on liquids, we always bring our own shampoo and conditioners, I can't use the ships stuff, My hair needs certain treatments.

At Newark Penn Station you would take Path to Exchange Place in Jersey City ($1.75). Then you would transfer to the Hudson-Bergen Light rail ($1.90) to 34th Street in Bayonne. This is very close to the port, but you would have to call a cab to take you the rest of the way. Taxis are listed near the top of this thread.

Yup, he's correct! :D You WILL need a cab once you get to the 34th street light rail, there might be cabs there but if not you should call one of these companies.

Bayonne NJ Taxi’s

Campbell 201-339-8300

Yellow Cab 201-339-5000

AMS Limo 1-800-899-2776

Archies Cab 201-858-8800

Bayonne Limo 866-666-7773

Bayonne Yellow Cab – 201-437-2000

Archived