Athens or Corinth?

We port in Pireaus and port time is 8-5. Trying to decide to do Athens on our own just doing the Acropolis (what is fee for entrance?) and the general area. Do the ships usually provide a shuttle to town? How do you get to the train station (fees?) and getting around.

Or taking a tour to Corinth for something less packed. Any suggestions or tips?

If you haven't been to Athens before, I would highly recommend spending the day in the historic centre. The fee for the Acropolis is 12 euros, and covers several other sites: http://www.culture.gr/h/3/eh355.jsp?obj_id=2384

The metro costs .80 euros each way or 3 euros for a full day pass. You'll find lots of helpful info here on taking the metro (using the 'Search This Forum' function, type in "Pireaus Metro").

Some cruise lines offer an "Athens on Your Own" bus as a shore excursion, but it's likely not worth the cost. The distance from Piraeus to the centre of Athens is approx. 7 miles. A taxi is another option that many use, but suggest that you read about taxis in Athens so that you'll know what to expect.

What sites are included in the tour to Corinth?

Having done both, I can't see going to Athens and not visiting Athens first. It is a perfect combination of ancient ruins and old world city...and gives you a taste of Greece. I enjoyed visiting the Acropolis but it was packed, tiring and I was just telling my daughter I didn't fully appreciate it. I'm also not really a ruins person. But, I loved walking around Plaka, eating gyros and just soaking the greek culture in and seeing all the other beautiful old buildings.

That said, being a bible reader/student, Corinth was my favorite ruins site to visit. The day we visited there was hardly anyone there. I loved how peaceful it was and how you could freely walk around or sit under a tree in this whole city and envision yourself there. However the place is not marked very well. Thank goodness I had done some research before and brought that with me. Otherwise make sure you buy one of the books they offer for sale, for I think $6-10. If you are not a bible reader I'm not sure you'd appreciate Corinth as much.

With the Acropolis, all you need to do is get on the subway from Pireaus and you'll be there 20-30 mins.

If you want to visit Corinth, and your ship doesn't offer that as an excursion, you'll have to either get a rental car, or take a taxi. Corinth is about 1 hour away. If you choose to rent a car you have to know where you are going. It is crazy. We drove in Athens, but we were following family. Leaving from the airport is very easy but that takes too much out of your time.

Also there's not much to see on the way there.

I recommend that you take in Athens first, then if you come back again, do Corinth if you enjoy Bible history.

Hope this helps with your decision. If you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask.

The Biblical basis is the reason I would like to see Corinth...to walk in Paul's footsteps (or a general proximation) as he talked of the "unknown god" that the Corinthians worshipped but did not know. I haven't done the research yet to that regard, can you direct me?

We are also visiting Ephesus and I understand there is a "bema seat" in the ruins and that too ties into the Bible history with Paul.

I don't really know where to direct you over the internet but here are a basic few things. I did my research from Watchtower Bible and tract Society publications and there is also some information if you google "ancient corinth".

In Athens, there is the Areopagus where Paul preached to the Athenians and refered to their altar of the unknown God. This is a smaller hill next to the Acropolis. I think it's called Mars hill also known as Ares hill. There is a plaque there that talks about this.

Corinth has the Bema that you are refering to (Acts 18:12). It is the judgement seat where Paul stood in front of Gallio and was set free by him. It is clearly marked in the ancient site.

Aquila and Priscilla had their tentmaking business in Corinth.

The Corinthian books were written to the people of Corinth and has alot of insight into their lives. Visiting the ancient sites helps to visualize the city, the temples, the many tavernas and the affluence and decadence that surrounded the city.

I haven't been to Ephesus so I can't really comment on the sites there.

I'm sure you would find Corinth very interesting. Does your cruise offer an excursion there or would you have to do it on your own?

You could visit Ancient Corinth and the canal on your Nauplion day by doing a circuit that includes those stops plus Mycenae and Epidauros. We did this day trip from Athens on our 3 day visit there, and really enjoyed it, but it would be easier to do from Nauplion (not sure if you would need to arrange a guide from Athens, or if the ship offers this trip, or if there are local guides who would take you.) If I was doing this itinerary and hadn't been to Athens before, I would visit Athens on that port stop and the Peloponnese region from Nauplion.

We port in Pireaus and port time is 8-5. Trying to decide to do Athens on our own just doing the Acropolis (what is fee for entrance?) and the general area. Do the ships usually provide a shuttle to town? How do you get to the train station (fees?) and getting around.

Or taking a tour to Corinth for something less packed. Any suggestions or tips?

What date are you there? If it's high summer, or if there are a number of cruise ships at Piraeus, then the likelihood is that central Athens will be infernally hot and extremely busy. In those conditions, how rewarding will your visit be? How memorable will your Acropolis experience be?

I say all this because I faced the same dilemna in early July 2007, and we decided to do a half-day visit to Corinth. It started with a short cruise in an old caique-style boat in the Gulf of Corinth and a return trip along the Corinth Canal, and that was especially memorable. Then we visited the ruins of ancient Corinth, which was also good. I'm glad we did this excursion. Athens was extremely hot that day (over 100 degrees) and busy, and I don't think I would have enjoyed it, either on an excursion or by doing it ourselves. I blogged about it here

However, we're going back to Piraeus this October, and this time we will go into Athens - all the reasons for not doing so last time won't apply.

(Finally, as regards visiting biblical sites, while I'm not especially interested in that myself I would have thought that Ephesus would be even better than Corinth/Athens - see here for our visit to that location.)

Hi Tom,

It appears that the OP will be there in early June, when temperatures will hopefully be comfortable for walking in Athens. We've been in September and October and had very comfortable temps both times, so I think you'll be safe this time. Enjoy!:)

We have stops in late May/early June for both Pireaus & Navplion as well as Kusadasi/Ephesus. Plan to do 1/2 to full day tours in Athens, Corinth & Ephesus. Would prefer a private smaller tour than the ship's large tours. Need more info for setting up the Corinth port.

If you are not a bible reader I'm not sure you'd appreciate Corinth as much.

I humbly submit that anyone interested in ancient history will appreciate Corinth. I haven't been yet but plan to visit it on upcoming cruise and am VERY much looking forward to it.

Need more info for setting up the Corinth port.

We used Jordan Daioglou who owns: http://www.athens-tours.gr/

Highly recommend him, although he is a driver and not a guide. Have a look at his day tours, in particular the Argolis region which includes Corinth. If you decide to do a half day in Corinth and half day in Athens, I'm sure he would customize a day tour for you.

I humbly submit that anyone interested in ancient history will appreciate Corinth. I haven't been yet but plan to visit it on upcoming cruise and am VERY much looking forward to it.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to imply that. I've just had so many people say that they preferred the Acropolis and Athens ruins. I've even heard people say Corinth was not even worth the stop.

I really liked Corinth for the biblical aspects but also liked that it was walking through a city...so yes, you are definately right, anyone could enjoy it....just some people who are not interested in biblical history might find the Acropolis more impressive....if they had to choose between the two.

We have stops in late May/early June for both Pireaus & Navplion as well as Kusadasi/Ephesus. Plan to do 1/2 to full day tours in Athens, Corinth & Ephesus. Would prefer a private smaller tour than the ship's large tours. Need more info for setting up the Corinth port.

We spent 3 nights in Nafplion and it is a beautiful town too. It's has a chic waterfront and a beautiful old city part too. It has a fortress, a Komboloi museum worth a visit and a beautiful town square to just have a lazy freddito at with outdoor air conditioning. You can easily spend the day just in Nafplion, or you can go to Epidavrus which is the site of the biggest amphitheatre still used today or Mycenae ruins. Each are about 30 minute in opposite ways. You have so many choices!

Corinth would be about the same distance from Nafplion as it is from Athens, but definately a much easier relaxed drive from Nafplion if you rent a car.

Archived