No More Celebrity for This Cruise Critic

Saintpat

[quote name='tmt9367']Here's what's even stranger. saintpat, nothing in life is perfect. Shore excursions are usually cancelled because of weather or lack of participation. That's beyond the control of any cruise line. [SIZE=5]S[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
I agree IF the shore excursions were cancelled for weather. I'd even understand if I was told with apologies that the guide called in sick and they weren't able to find a replacement. If they are cancelled for lack of participation, that should be done ahead of time - at least 24 hours if it isn't the first day - not when you show up for the excursion. I enjoyed almost all aspects of our cruise, but the management of their shore excursions was a low point. I might cruise Celebrity again, but I would be unlikely to use their excursions.

On our Constelation Southern Carib cruise, the one Celebrity excursion we had booked was cancelled. When we first showed up at the dock we were told to wait for the excursion to be called. After we had gotten to about 20 minutes after the excursion was suppose to start (and after many of the other morning excursions had already left, I enquired again and was told it was cancelled. The weather was fine and this was a land based excursion. No explanation was given. No apology either. We let them talk us into an afternoon excursion though we didn't have the written description to refer to - they badly mischaracterized it and we were so unhappy that they refunded our money after I turned in a written complaint.

I didn't experience any of the other problems the OP mentioned, perhaps because we were on a Millenium class ship and because we didn't tend to eat at peak times.

I seem to remember it being desserts, but...maybe I am wrong. One thing for sure, I remember thinking....more calories!!! The extra cost didn't phase me. It reminded me of having table d'hote in a restaurant and being charged extra for specialities.

We just got off the Mercury a week ago. We did not see any "extra charge" deserts. There were "desert" drinks on the liquor menu, however. They had names like deserts, but were drinks.

This was our first cruise, and were were more than pleased with Celebrity. We got into one port late because of a medical evacuation in the middle of the night and missed our tours, but nothing in life is perfect.

Got off Summit Nov 5th. Waiters very good, first night we were asked if we wanted to buy a bottle of "special" water , but when we all seaid no "reg ice water will be fine" we were never asked again.

I did have a less than good room steward (he kept forgetting to leave next days event sheet - even forgot to leave the "add to your bill "tip" sheets). Re the events sheet I called reception who sent one up immediately with big apologies He forgot face cloths, and did not clean the room until noon - for that I simply told him politely but firmly " I like my room cleaned by 10.30, and I like clean face cloths " I always left it at 8 a.m after that he cleaned it on time.

I would never tolerate bad service in the dining room or bad service in my cabin , I would always make a complaint to the appropriate superior "at the desk"

We ordered alot of the desserts, and were never charged. I think the OP is thinking of when the Sommolier or Bar Waiter came over with the dessert drinks menu after dinner!!

Hey, we had a great time!! We don't go on a trip looking for things to complain about. Yes, the buffet line was crowded the days on sea, but the lines didn't go to the back of the ship or anything..I would wait a minute or two, no big deal. Didn't have a problem with noise in the dining room, but perhaps the OP sat where the Piano was, I don't know. We all know about "Chair Hogs", so I won't go there. Didn't do any excursions, so I can't comment on that. Yes, my mattress could have been firmer, but that could be the case on any ship or hotel.

All and all, I had a great time, and I thought the service was excellent on this cruise!! Poorly run? I don't think so. I believe since this was the first Carribean run of the ship for the season, there were some staff unknowlegable about the islands since they hadn't been there yet personally(I was talking to a gift shop employee and one of the dancers, but that wasn't there job per se). I am curious to know what the OP thought of the meals??

[quote name='Saintpat']After many cruises for 17 years, we tried Celebrity last week. I didn't like it at all. Crowded dining room; too loud to talk to my 4 tablemates. Lumpy bed! Surly steward; nice asst. steward. Confusing and contradictory information or "I don't know; I've never been to these ports before" answers.
Good wine and food, but long lines for casual lido deck dining. Couldn't get a chair either by the pool or by the grill. It was a fight for a chair in both places, and fear to get up for a minute or it would be stolen! Now, who needs this on a vacation? Worst of all, excursions scheduled and properly booked and offered by Celebrity were cancelled at last minute, with no notice. We actually got off the ship to join our excursion on shore before we were told it was cancelled, and another time, it was at 10 pm, too late to book a substitute. Many, many excursions were cancelled; people crabbed about it all over the ship, which was Horizon. All in all, it was poorly run. We had been told we'd be "pampered" and we were hassled. And another thing: how do they have the nerve to charge $10 for a one-hour yoga, or pilates, or fitness class, an ordinary ship board activity I've never had to pay for any where else!! On our first night at dinner, they attempted to ask us if we wanted "premium" desserts for extra pay, and we all almost threw the list at the poor waiter, so he didn't try that again. A cruise line who would do this is lost to all decency! But do let me say they were very good to my husband who needed wheelchair assistance at embarking and debarking.
But there was just too much wrong. I can't go back to Celebrity or recommend it, I'm sorry to say.[/QUOTE]

My husband and I are in our 30's, and we had a great time on this cruise!! My kids are 6 and 3, and they loved the kids club on board. We knew going in that Celebrity has an "older" crowd, but what do you expect from a more sophisticated cruise line? I prefer the great dinners and service over some of the other cruise lines...We weren't looking for beer guzzling contests, bathing suit swapping contests at the poolside :) ! We traveled with my "OLD" parents, and enjoyed everyone's company, no matter what their age is! There were plenty of younger people on the ship as well that we talked to.

Edited to add that it is not uncommon to see "older" people on the cruises this time of year since alot of people my age have children in school and usually go on vacation during the summer months.

[quote name='birchklemz']We just got off the Horizon on friday & we didnt see any premium desserts either. Overall it was a great cruise, but we probably wouldn't do Celebrity again either. We are in our 30's & this cruise was a much much older crowd. There was plenty of people our age, but the majority is 50+. We saw many many wheelchairs, walkers & oxygen tanks. We still had fun, but would like to try a bigger ship next time. The Horizon seemed to rock pretty good while going through the Carribbean sea. Food was awesome, drinks were average but fairly expenive. Creme Brullee was excellent.[/QUOTE]

Saintpat, or anyone else reading this thread, might be disappointed to learn that the fitness/yoga classes she mentioned are also an added fee on Princess cruises. I think the OP is in for a lot of disappointment if she continues to cruise on anything but a premium line.

Don't be in such a hurry to condemn the OP. :( I also have to agree on a couple of points.

My normally passive DH almost got into a fight with a "gentleman" over a lounger by the pool. It was vacant and we were accused of stealing his chair. It was very difficult to find a seat anytime during the cruise and pax became quite hostile.

Although we had a wonderful cabin steward, our travel companions did not. I have never seen such a dirty cabin on any ship. There were dust bunnies in the corners, a dirty bath and a safe that never worked for the whole cruise. When this was mentioned to the steward, he was surly. I witnessed this myself and suggested they report it to the Purser's desk but our friends didn't want to get him into trouble and put up with him. I would not have been so tolerant. :mad:

And yes there were long lines at the buffet. It didn't bother me but I did notice it.

All this happened on an M-class ship.

Beth

Hi Arno,

I am not trying to ignore you! But since this thread is about negative things and I don't want to be OFF TOPIC with all the positive aspects of my cruise, I'll e-mail you later.

Great cruise again. Came home with lots of trivia prizes. Still missed seeing you and Joanne though!

Catch you later, Deb

We also were on the November 6 Constellation cruise. And yes there was rain everyday, but I have to say it never stopped us. In fact we kept commenting how the rain never messed us up. We changed some things around, but didn't mess us up. If the pool was filled up with people, we went to the Thallasotherapy pool. We just did not allow anything to ruin the fun we planned on having.

Now as far as the desserts. Every night the sommolier put the drink card on our table. The coffees are just out of this world, and YES there were about 5 or 6 desserts on there with liquors in them. Good grief, like Newt says, just say no. But I enjoy some of the coffees so she made sure to put the card by me. We had excellent service and could not complain about anything. I knew the lounge was being renovated for Cirque du Soleil, but oh well, lucky me I get to see it on my transatlantic on the Constellation. Due to the weather we did miss out on Onyx by the pool a few times and I sorely did miss not hearing them. They were the first cruise band I have heard with such a large repertoire of music. I could have enjoyed hearing them all the time.

My point is that yes things happen and they happen on any vacation, but we did not allow any of it to impact the wonderful time we had on our cruise. Lois, from what I've read of your posts I'm sure you will feel the same way. You will love it. I was on the Infinity last year and it was wonderful, but the Constellation is the Pride of the Fleet.

Hi Everyone,
I was on the Constellation on November 6th with JR Janet . It was great to meet you Janet. My husband and I both agree that this was the best cruise we've been on and this was our 18th, (I thinK).

It may have rained part of each day, but there was plenty of sun shining because I came home with a great tan.

The service was excellent, & the ship was beautiful. I didn't have to cook or make my bed, what more can one ask for. I read some of these posts and I am amazed at what people find to complain about.

We're planning to book another cruise on the Constellation for next December. I hope the complainers will be somewhere else.
Gem

The problem with Celebrity is the old people who stand in la la land looking at the buffet like it is the first time they've seen one...... load your plate and let's go.
they have a smoking section on the ship, they should have an express lane at the buffets.

[quote name='mcnichol']The problem with Celebrity is the old people who stand in la la land looking at the buffet like it is the first time they've seen one...... load your plate and let's go.
they have a smoking section on the ship, they should have an express lane at the buffets.[/QUOTE]
And here I thought I was impatient.......

[quote name='mcnichol']The problem with Celebrity is the old people who stand in la la land looking at the buffet like it is the first time they've seen one...... load your plate and let's go.
they have a smoking section on the ship, they should have an express lane at the buffets.[/QUOTE]
What's your hurry? I thought you were on vacation. Are you afraid they will run out of one of the desserts before you can grab it?

It's too bad if anyone dares to criticize Celebrity, they are the ones in the wrong. I, for one, like to hear pro AND cons. We have been on two Celebrity ships..Infinity (trans-canal) and Mercury (adult New Year's Mexican Riveria). We had royal suites on both ships. Infinity was just about perfect. Great food, service, etc. Mecury was another story. Pool attendent just about called me a liar when I said the drink he had taken wasn't quite empty, bar waiter in the diningroom rarely made it to our table, they ran out of lobster at the second seating, most of the crew seemed grumpy, etc. Now I understand the prior cruise had many unruly children and the crew was still in recovery BUT we did pay quite a premium for this cruise and the royal suite and in my humble opinion expecting average service shouldn't have been asking too much. When I wrote to Celebrity to complain, they sent a form letter. We still had a good time and met wonderful people but were sorely disappointed with service and attitude and doubt we will ever take another chance with Celebrity.

I believe the reference to old people is in poor taste. However, I agree if you just take the word "old" out of the comment, it is definitely a sore point with me - on any cruise line. I believe that families with children are worse than any age group. I know you are on vacation but there are many times when you need to get something to eat in a reasonable time because you have somewhere to be - excursion, art show, bingo, etc. Besides, I do not consider standing in line to be a relaxing part of my vacation. Look at it this way. Assume there are 1000 people eating lunch at the buffet with 4 lines. If each person takes 1 minute in line, that amounts to over 4 hours to get everyone served. Unfortunately, the buffet is only open for 2 hours. That is why we almost always eat in the dining rooms.

Archived