No More Celebrity for This Cruise Critic

Saintpat

[quote name='Giorgi-one']I believe the reference to old people is in poor taste. However, I agree if you just take the word "old" out of the comment, it is definitely a sore point with me - on any cruise line. I believe that families with children are worse than any age group. I know you are on vacation but there are many times when you need to get something to eat in a reasonable time because you have somewhere to be - excursion, art show, bingo, etc. Besides, I do not consider standing in line to be a relaxing part of my vacation. Look at it this way. Assume there are 1000 people eating lunch at the buffet with 4 lines. If each person takes 1 minute in line, that amounts to over 4 hours to get everyone served. Unfortunately, the buffet is only open for 2 hours. That is why we almost always eat in the dining rooms.[/QUOTE]

most of the people on the ship were old. and they were wandering around staring at everything. The people with the kids moved about orderly.

[quote name='gkm']What's your hurry? I thought you were on vacation. Are you afraid they will run out of one of the desserts before you can grab it?[/QUOTE]
No, they block the whole aisle, and you can't even get thru if you are going from one place to another. they should go sit in the dining room where they can stare at the menu and the walls without holding up traffic.

I just adore sweeping generalizations. It's [B]them[/B], the whole group of [B]them[/B] and nobody else. [B]They[/B] are annoying me and it's [B]my[/B] vacation not theirs.

Yup, sometimes other people are annoying. Old folks, young folks, in-between, infants, etc. etc.

If you are in search of the perfect vacation where nothing goes wrong (in your own mind) good luck. Something happens every day that annoys me. If it lands within my own circle of influence (where I can make changes) I will act on it. If it is outside my circle of influence, I go on with my life.

YMMV!

[quote name='mcnichol']most of the people on the ship were old. and they were wandering around staring at everything. The people with the kids moved about orderly.[/QUOTE]
If you are annoyed with having to sail with "old people", maybe you should find another type of vacation to take. They will always be sailing on ships and are delightful and interesting. Maybe you're the one who should be in the dining room.

Personally I love it when most are around 50. I have been on carnival several times and found the age groups alot younger and the music on ship too loud for me. But I wouldn't hesitate to go on any cruiseline. There is always something to like and I always go the cheapest so I can go more often. I even went on Disney Magic and loved it. The majority of those passangers was real young. If I didn't like what the dinning room had I would just go call room service or go to the buffet.

My wife and I have just booked our tenth cruise and we have found that the most annoying people on most of our cruises have been immature know-it-all intolerant loud-mouthed insensitive "adults" in their 20s and 30s. My wife, who is 36, feels the same way and would by far prefer to be with people in the 40 and up age groups. She feels that they have lived long enough and experienced enough to actually be interesting. She feels that most people her age and younger are so self-absorbed and selfish that she loathes most of them. The poster who was almost gagging in disgust at the sight of wheelchairs, walkers, and oxygen tanks (gasp!... pun intended) sounds more like 12 years old than in her 30s. It gives me a sense of justice to know that in a mere 15 years of so, she will be 50 and I truly hope some ignorant person treats her the same way she is treating everyone who isn't in her preferred demographic. Grow up, girlie.

This is really silly. The truth is there are some people who are never happy and can always find something to complain about. Life's too short. Just ignore them and have fun. Doesn't it make you wonder how they can possibly handle a serious problem?:rolleyes:

[quote name='gkm']If you are annoyed with having to sail with "old people", maybe you should find another type of vacation to take. They will always be sailing on ships and are delightful and interesting. Maybe you're the one who should be in the dining room.[/QUOTE]
No, I'll keep going on cruises and hope that they make an express lane.

[quote name='GATKLT']Interesting perspective on "old people" and their criuse behavior by Mcnichol - especially because the profile shows that Mcnichol celebrated his or her 86th birthday last month![/QUOTE]
Wow! I hope I'm still cruisin' when I get there! I think I just need to keep doing at least one or two cruises a year, just stay in practice. :)

LeeAnne

[QUOTE=WeBeCruisin']My wife and I have just booked our tenth cruise and we have found that the most annoying people on most of our cruises have been immature know-it-all intolerant loud-mouthed insensitive "adults" in their 20s and 30s. My wife, who is 36, feels the same way and would by far prefer to be with people in the 40 and up age groups. She feels that they have lived long enough and experienced enough to actually be interesting. She feels that most people her age and younger are so self-absorbed and selfish that she loathes most of them. The poster who was almost gagging in disgust at the sight of wheelchairs, walkers, and oxygen tanks (gasp!... pun intended) sounds more like 12 years old than in her 30s. It gives me a sense of justice to know that in a mere 15 years of so, she will be 50 and I truly hope some ignorant person treats her the same way she is treating everyone who isn't in her preferred demographic. Grow up, girlie.[/QUOTE]
I hope you don't generalize that all young people in their 20s are like that. :)
My wife and I are in our late 20s and I know with absolute certainty that my wife is not uncouth (hopefully I can make the same statement about myself but then I would be indulging in a possibly misperceived introspection :o ). We are respectful of people of all ages, races, religion, and belief. There will always be "know-it-all intolerant loud-mouthed insensitive" but I don't think they're only relegated to those in their 20s and 30s, in my humble opinion.

David & Thanh & Baby Isabelle
(only 3 more weeks!)

Personally I don't care for the buffets, long lines or not. I head straight to the back of the ship and get that wonderful pasta they make. And then around the corner are the salads and fixins. I much rather have that. You might wait while 2 or 3 people get their pasta individually sauteed, but it does not take long. Hardly anyone goes back there, they all stop for the buffets.

I think it is a shame that people put other people down. Older people are a wealth of information. I just cannot believe how cruel people can be.

Gem Lover, it was great meeting you and talking to you online. Please consider our Transatlantic on the Constellation next September. We would love to have you. We have a large group planning this trip. Janet

Yikes:eek: ......80, 60, 40, 20, there are obnoxious people in EVERY age group.....

The generalizations and stereotypes will apply as long as the topics are brought up.
Cruising is a small % of what really goes on out there......there------> over there in "real life"....

My Dad turned 83 this summer....and he is one of the most fun people to be around of anyone I know (of course I might be a bit biased";) ).

It is amazing what people who are older than us know about life and what experiences they have lived through....the stories they can tell are amazing:)

All ages of people cruise....that is just the way it is!!!

Some adhere to the belief that ``everything I needed to know I learned in kindergarten.'' Others, like DH & I know we learned the basics from our grandfathers. Born in 1947 to WWII vets, we were both raised at the knees of our grandfathers' wealth of knowledge.

Both of us lived in the houses of our grandparents for several years. Wouldn't trade those years or the knowledge we absorbed about life then for any cruise going anywhere in this world. Grandpa would be turning 115 now if he were alive. His daughter, my mom, would be turning 85. Grandpa has been gone since 1955. I was 8 when he died. Strange how I never considered him old while I had him in my life.

But then, I never felt like he was getting in my way. He was always showing me how to respect others, even though some might have felt he was just an older senior citizen and viewed me as the snot-nosed kid that tugged at his coat tails.
Dianne

whenever there is an ugly thread like this it brings out the really genuine people .very well said 98charlie,lois ,jrjanet and .I cant help but feel after reaing mcnichols profile that he thrives on this kind of negativity.so it is better just to ignore him.I cant beleive that the moderators havent caught on to him yet

I just got back from my first cruise on Celebrity Horizon and the service was great. No charge for desserts was ever brought up. 5 or 6 desserts on menu every night. My room steward could not have be nicer and was very helpful. Our waiter was so puppy dog cute we all wanted to bring him home with us.

Barb
HAL 9-2001
RCL 9-2002
Horizon 10-2004
Galaxy 10-2005

I think I was getting off the Horizon just minutes before Saint Pat was boarding.l

and I have to say -- I did not see anything amiss at all, at all. In fact, I had a wonderful experience.

True, some shore excursions were cancelled -- because not enough people were signing up for them. Not Celebrity's fault. So many folks have been to the islands so many times they just want to hang out on the beaches or relax aboard ship.

Dining staff was great. Food was OK. I am never a big fan of shipboard food which has to be prepared in quantity. No charge for desserts that I saw, and I looked 'em all over.

If the bed was lumpy, complain to cabin steward. I did not like my pillow, and got another one pronto.

I did notice that Celebrity is a little lacking in stimulating activities on sea days. But since I always sit on deck with a good book, it didn't bother me. To me the joy of cruising is just BEING there, under a bright blue sky with a few puffabilly clouds, slipping across sparkling cobalt water, with a warm sun on my bare limbs and a light breeze caressing my face. It don't git no better than that!

love
joan

[quote name='cruising with marti'][b]Nah, I like to be waited on.[/b]

[b]Phil[/b][/QUOTE]
careful, the thought police will condemn you for that. It's rude to expect to be waited on by other people. Next thing you know, you will be bribing them.

Archived