Luggage locks??

KittyKat4

This our first time cruising other than an overnight CTN. We'll be cruising to Canada in June (out of NYC) and I would like to get some information regarding locking our suitcases.

We just purchased a couple of combination locks that have a special identification mark letting the TSA know they can open the lock without destroying it. Apparently the TSA have special codes/tools to open the locks.

Has anyone ever used these locks? We'll be going directly to the pier from home (no airports) so don't know what the TSA at the pier will do to these locks.

Thanks to all for any input/suggestions you can provide. Cruise Critic is just the greatest site for cruise information. I read the boards nearly every day and have gained a wealth of information.

I used TSA locks on my trip to Africa last year. They were great! My friends did not have the TSA locks and from the mess of their suitcases they were looked at more than me. Even in London the TSA people unlocked my suitcases for me with their keys. I will use them on my upcoming cruise to Alaska and recommend them to everyone.:D

TSA only selectively opens suitcases for inspection. If you do not use TSA locks they have the right to snap them open. With TSA locks they have master keys or codes to open without ruining.

Depending on the agent doing the inspecting, they are just as likely to break them open than use the master.

Zip-ties are just as secure, at a fraction of the cost.

Even when flying, you don't HAVE to use TSA locks--it's NOT a law! Use any kind of lock you like, but DO lock any bags that are not in your possession all the time. Even if you don't put anything except underwear in your bag, you don't want someone "slipping" something into your bags! Lock them! (We buy Master Locks at any hardware store--they're keyed and we use them for flights, cruises, everywhere we go!!!)

I do use TSA locks, but I have also had my luggage come home with wrong lock on it. I tried several times to open it, then realized it wasn't an exact match for my locks (I had a set of 3 blue locks). I can only hope the other person with a blue TSA lock was also on his/her way home, else staying somewhere with a good conceirge to cut the lock. I still use them, unfortunatly I just consider them an item I must replace on a regular basis.

The thing about zip-ties, if TSA cuts them for search, what is keeping your luggage closed between TSA (before you board) and your final destination?

you don't HAVE to use TSA locks--it's NOT a law!

But if you don't use TSA locks, then you are in the same situation as the zip ties should your luggage be searched - nothing protecting between the TSA search and your destination.

I've only had my luggage searched twice in the past 2 years (~2 dozen flights), but I like to keep people out of my undies. Like someone else said, its doesn't prevent all theft, but it does discourage petty theft by making it more difficult.

We always lock our luggage.

We still have some old locks, the kind not TSA approved and we use them when we go on cruise ships, when we drive to port. Zip ties can be used as well, just a little more inconvenient as you have to remember a scissor to cut them upon arrival.

Hopefully if a TSA agent has to break your lock (no need for this, the keys are all numbered) they will place the broken lock in your luggage. The manufacturers should replace them at no cost.

Forgive my ignorance but can someone explain what a TSA lock is? What does TSA stand for? While we're at it please tell me what OP stands for. I've looked at the acronyms and I can't find this anywhere. I think I know what DH and DW stand for but I can't figure out OP unless it means "other person."

As far as locking the suitcases....The last time I flew anywhere, about 5 years ago, the guy at the curbside check-in at the airport made me take off the locks on my suitcases before he would check me in. After that I thought locks of any kind were not allowed on checked luggage.

Please help...:confused:

Forgive my ignorance but can someone explain what a TSA lock is? What does TSA stand for? While we're at it please tell me what OP stands for. I've looked at the acronyms and I can't find this anywhere. I think I know what DH and DW stand for but I can't figure out OP unless it means "other person."

As far as locking the suitcases....The last time I flew anywhere, about 5 years ago, the guy at the curbside check-in at the airport made me take off the locks on my suitcases before he would check me in. After that I thought locks of any kind were not allowed on checked luggage.

Please help...:confused:

OP = Original Poster

TSA = Transportation Security Administration (they were given security authority at all airports after 9/11, though now some are going back to private companies)

If you have a "TSA approved lock", then when your bags are randomly searched at the airport, the TSA people can use a master key to open the lock, but if you don't have a TSA approved lock, they can cut if off. Supposedly if you have the TSA approved lock and they have to break it, you can get your money back from the manufacturer. I have used TSA locks while flying and have never had one cut off. The previous poster who said it's "not a law" that you have to use TSA locks is correct; however, it's good practice since TSA has the master key and won't have to break it. (They still may if they can't get it open, but the chances are much less.) It's possible when you tried to use a lock five years ago, it wasn't TSA approved so you had to take it off...who knows on this...I have found no one at the airport is consistent!

Hope this helps!

I bought a TSA lock for my check suitcase, right after the first came out. It was cut off anyway - a note stating it had been cut off was in my suitcase. I don't recall if the lock was included as well. Pretty maddening considering I bought the lock just so this would not happen - I wonder if when they first came out not all the inspectors had a key.

Archived