Crab legs on an alaska cruise?

krogerlady

Seems i read somewhere on CC that the ships do not serve crab legs at all. There are a lot of questions as to where one can eat good crab legs in the various ports. Saw one post about "rubbery crab legs", of course, not the kind I want, but if they got bad ones, surely one night they do serve them. Anyone know?

Seems i read somewhere on CC that the ships do not serve crab legs at all. There are a lot of questions as to where one can eat good crab legs in the various ports. Saw one post about "rubbery crab legs", of course, not the kind I want, but if they got bad ones, surely one night they do serve them. Anyone know?

In Skagway there is a restaurant on the cruise ship pier..Its known for their Crab legs I just cannot remember the name..You cannot miss it!

The problem with crab legs is that King Crab is in season from late October to November. Therefore, if the cruise ships or restaurants in Alaska are serving crab legs between May and September, it has been frozen at least 6 months (Nov - May).

The only fresh (not frozen) crab that you can get between May and September (the Alaska cruising season) is Dungeness Crab or Snow Crab.

The problem with crab legs is that King Crab is in season from late October to November. Therefore, if the cruise ships or restaurants in Alaska are serving crab legs between May and September, it has been frozen at least 6 months (Nov - May).

The only fresh (not frozen) crab that you can get between May and September (the Alaska cruising season) is Dungeness Crab or Snow Crab.

That is true..However we had the best king crab legs at the Fish House Restaurant in Ketchikan...They knew which boats the crab legs came from by the processor where they bought the crab. And yes the crab legs came from the North Western of The Deadliest Catch..They could also point out the boats in the harbor where they bought their fresh fish, crab and shrimp from..

Kelly

I've never seen crab legs on a ship....

They're so easy to do at home---I buy them (snow crab) all the time--yes--they're frozen, but almost ALL seafood is at one time or another! Run under cold water to thaw, then stick in a HOT oven for about 8-10 mins. Serve with hot, melted butter! Ummmm!

They're so easy! I buy when they're $4.99 lb or less. I won't pay more than that for them.

I've never seen crab legs on a ship....

They're so easy to do at home---I buy them (snow crab) all the time--yes--they're frozen, but almost ALL seafood is at one time or another! Run under cold water to thaw, then stick in a HOT oven for about 8-10 mins. Serve with hot, melted butter! Ummmm!

They're so easy! I buy when they're $4.99 lb or less. I won't pay more than that for them.

How hot of an oven??

Kelly

Princess serves crab legs on their ships. I've had them on both my Princess cruises, and my first cruise was to Alaska.

How good were they? For example, at Las Vegas buffets, I have had crab legs that were water-logged because they were frozen for such a long period of time. They tasted nasty. How were the crab legs on Princess?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The United States Public Health Service requires that any shellfish served to you on a cruise ship must be frozen first, before it is prepared for you to eat.

The most expensive plave in the world to purchase crab legs is in Alaska.

With the low fares most prople are paying to cruise Alaska, the cruise lines cannot afford to buy the crab legs for you.

Archived