Is Colon Panama worth the stop?

MAO

I just spent an hour reading about this port and am pretty worried it doesn't have much to offer. Crime, dirty beaches, locks and more locks (which some might enjoy, thats good:), shopping that is questionable...

Someone tell me something good!!.

Are there beaches that are nice clean and relaxing?

Are there tours (privately or cruise ones) that are fun, safe and worth it?

Is it more unsafe than any other port (we all know we need to be careful everywhere)?

Are the native friendly and welcomeing to tourist (like in Cozumel or G. Caymen)?

Thanks for your help.

We just returned yesterday from the Island Princess. Firts of all we had limited time in port after the transit, about 3 hrs. or so. Princess recommends that you NOT go into Colon due to its crime rate. There is a huge warehouse right at the pier so combined with the limited time and the warning we skipped Colon.

It is not really a port stop where people go off and explore the city. There is a large flea market right where the ship docks that has a nice varity of goods for sale in a low pressure environment (i.e. the vendors are friendly and do not hawk you to purchase their goods). There is also a bar in the flea market area with inexpensive drinks (i.e. beer for about $2 to $3). There is also an area that sells phone cards with several phones nearby that can be used for about $5 for 30 minutes to U.S.

We enjoy spending about an hour in the flea market, but that is about all you get out of the stop in Panama.

It is not really a port stop where people go off and explore the city. There is a large flea market right where the ship docks that has a nice varity of goods for sale in a low pressure environment (i.e. the vendors are friendly and do not hawk you to purchase their goods). There is also a bar in the flea market area with inexpensive drinks (i.e. beer for about $2 to $3). There is also an area that sells phone cards with several phones nearby that can be used for about $5 for 30 minutes to U.S.

We enjoy spending about an hour in the flea market, but that is about all you get out of the stop in Panama.

We were just there. Two local brews, $3.00. :D

You don't go to Colon to walk around town or visit beaches. If that is what you are looking for, then this is the wrong port. The best thing to do in Colon is to go on an excursion. There are many GREAT ones in Colon. Visiting the Embera Indians gives you an experience you won't find anywhere else. There are also forts and the locks, not to mention nature tours. I love Panama, but if you are looking for another Grand Cayman or Cozumel, you won't find it there.

No we're not looking for another Cozumel , we wanted a differant port but we are not the type that is interested in the locks...unless someone wants to convince me;)

Sooo what kind of tours are there, what are your experiances. We have the Indians (possible), nature tours...? like what?, what else is out there?

Are there definately no beach areas?

Anyone with pics of the shopping area? What might we find?

Thank you all soooo much.

You don't go to Colon to walk around town or visit beaches. If that is what you are looking for, then this is the wrong port. The best thing to do in Colon is to go on an excursion. There are many GREAT ones in Colon. Visiting the Embera Indians gives you an experience you won't find anywhere else. There are also forts and the locks, not to mention nature tours. I love Panama, but if you are looking for another Grand Cayman or Cozumel, you won't find it there.

Is there an excursion to the Panama Canal? My understanding is that Colon is about an hour away. My cruise has changed so many times. It's gone from a partial to full transit and now only going as far as Colon. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I just spent an hour reading about this port and am pretty worried it doesn't have much to offer. Crime, dirty beaches, locks and more locks (which some might enjoy, thats good:), shopping that is questionable...

Someone tell me something good!!.

Are there beaches that are nice clean and relaxing?

Are there tours (privately or cruise ones) that are fun, safe and worth it?

Is it more unsafe than any other port (we all know we need to be careful everywhere)?

Are the native friendly and welcomeing to tourist (like in Cozumel or G. Caymen)?

Thanks for your help.

Stop worrying and start looking at the positives:) There are without a doubt private and cruiseline tours that are fun and safe and worth visiting Panama to experience. A beach port? Doesn't sound like its the best, but that's what your stop in Cozumel is for, right? GREAT beach time there!

Panama is about the Canal. Its about the vast wildlife and the scenery which is green and lush and beautiful.(you just have to ignor the garbage;))

All depends on what you're looking for when shopping but you will find some of the same things one sees at all the cruiselines stops and on top of that you will find real hand made crafts made in Panama that are beautiful and not extremely expensive. Wood carvings and nut carvings by the Embera Indians are wonderful. Beaded jewelry made by the Embera Indian women. Inexpensive Molas sown by Panama's women that when brought home and framed make beautiful pictures to hang on the wall to name a few of the things one can find when shopping in Panama.

Panama is similar to Costa Rica in that neither ports are typical tourist trap Caribbean ports where you should just walk off the ship and plan to take a taxi to the beach for few hours to soak up the sun and enjoy water sports and then wander back into town and wander through the shops on the main streets and the back streets, maybe stop into Senior Frogs for a few drinks before making it back to the ship. Both countires require a bit of research ahead of time to determine which excursions, private or via the cruiseline will allow you to get out into the country side to view the country itself and experience a bit what the country has to offer and then when you return to the pier do a little shopping inside the pier area for native crafts.

We're not lock people either but these aren't just any locks like we've seen many times before, these are the Panama Canal Locks. Thousands of people died attempting to build this canal over many years. I thought I knew a lot about the canal until I read "The Path Between the Seas" which gave me an entirely different respect for the canal and all those that worked on building it.

Our visit to Panama was slightly different than yours wil be as we entered the Canal and then took tenders from the ship to do our excursions and when they were done met back up with the cruiseship at the Cristobal Pier but the overall experience of visiting Panama would be the same. We did an excursion to visit an Embera Indian Village. We enjoyed the busride thought the countryside to where we boarded a large dugout canoe where the Embera Indians took us on an aprox 40 minute ride down the river to their village which was fun and interesting to see the sights along the river. It was a very enjoyable day. They are so friendly and sincere in their wish to teach you about their culture. Their crafts are simply beautiful and they are very proud of them. It was a very different excursion than we've ever done on a cruise before and having done it I wouldn't feel the need to do it again soon but found ouselves very happy that we did choose to do this excursion while we were in Panama.

Is there an excursion to the Panama Canal? My understanding is that Colon is about an hour away. My cruise has changed so many times. It's gone from a partial to full transit and now only going as far as Colon. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The Gatun Locks are just outside of Colon. They are the largest of the 3 sets of locks on the canal. You can visit the locks via taxi or tour from Colon (only a few minutes from town). Your cruise will also likely offer a very expensive cruise through the canal by ferry boat.

No we're not looking for another Cozumel , we wanted a differant port but we are not the type that is interested in the locks...unless someone wants to convince me;)

Sooo what kind of tours are there, what are your experiances. We have the Indians (possible), nature tours...? like what?, what else is out there?

I have been to Panama twice. Once as a land based vacation and once as a day from a cruise ship. Honestly, a tour to see the Embera is like nothing else you will ever see. The forts are interesting as well. You might want to take a look at my Panama pictures:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/panama

I don't have any of my pictures from the market at the port on my website yet. I might next week if I can find some time this weekend.

The Gatun Locks are just outside of Colon. They are the largest of the 3 sets of locks on the canal. You can visit the locks via taxi or tour from Colon (only a few minutes from town). Your cruise will also likely offer a very expensive cruise through the canal by ferry boat.

Thanks for the response. Guess it's time to start researching. :)

The Celebrity home page, www.celebrity.com has a video of the Infinity going through the locks. I found it fascinating! I can't wait to see it in real life. It just might convince you, too:)

You guys are awesome! Thank you for all your responses, I hope there are more to come.

I love the posative pep talk (thank you) and the links are helpful, and soda...good very very good:)

So I'll continue researching and looking, the Indians sound interesting..hummmm

Here are some pictures of the shopping area at the Cristobal pier:

http://www.pbase.com/2112/colon

My family is traveling to Panama (Carnival - Freedom - 3/14 -) While our ship does not go through the locks, there is an excursion listed that one can take (my dad & DH will probably do that). I'm thinking about the indian village. Those that commented above, what kind of things can you buy at the Embera village, can you use US dollars? Did you bring any trickets for the indian children?

My family is traveling to Panama (Carnival - Freedom - 3/14 -) While our ship does not go through the locks, there is an excursion listed that one can take (my dad & DH will probably do that). I'm thinking about the indian village. Those that commented above, what kind of things can you buy at the Embera village, can you use US dollars? Did you bring any trickets for the indian children?

U.S. dollars are the currency of Panama. They may call them Balboa's but it is US currency.

Archived