Nudity on the balcony... y or n?

gaubow

• 5 weeks later...

Sailed on NCL twice. Both times I laid out topless. There was plenty of room for a lounger and plenty of sun. I only did this on sea days not days in port. I love the sea days and relaxing out on the balcony soaking up the warm sun. :D

I guess that is my real question. I can just assume that if I am getting changed or whatever with my curtains open, then I am fair game even for such cameras? So the balcony really isn't private, and it sounds like my room may not be either. From neighbors, to crews working on the ship to in-port cameras there may be no secrets....

Personally, I think that you can absolutely change in your stateroom with the curtains open and no one can see in. I would tend to shy away from nude sud-bathing on the balcony because people can pretty easily see around the partition. You can't peek far enough around to see into the room.

Absolutely.............Helps when joining or reaffirming your membership in the 'balcony club'................;)

There is nothing quite like the balcony club ;)....I never thought my wife would go for it but she did! Something about that ocean breeze at night....:)

We had a balcony stateroom #6012 on one of the hal vista ships. I needed a little extra sun on my chest for the formal I was wearing that night.

When my eyes met those of the young navigator out on the end of the wing I knew he would never feel the same about his grandmother again:o.

I think it is almost a crime to not go out on your balcony nude at least once. Take advantage of the ocean breeze and the sun...live life to the fullest.:D I will have to try it on my first balcony next month in June

• 2 years later...

We had cabin 1505 on the Equinox which is on the same level as the Bridge and what seems like only 10 metres away. I know my wife was looking forward to stretching out " a-la nude" , but turned out the crew could see straight onto the Balcony.

Yes, people can see you around the divider if they lean out far enough at the side to peek around it but I don't ever remember anyone doing it. As for cameras shooting down on the side of the ship....really? Then how come with all the people who have accidentally fallen overboard that there is no video? Come on now common sense...while there are cameras on the ship they are NOT posted looking straight down on the side of ship into the balconies, they are pointed out toward the water. However someone may be able to see you if you sunbath on your balcony and wrong there is enough sun to tan on the balcony but will depend on the time of day. Carnival used to have an adult area where you could do this but many have replaced it with the adults only Serenity Spa area but have not seen any topless sunbathing there.

Actually, they do have video of most of the people that go overboard. Many times I have read in the news postings that a person was missing, and in reviewing the camera footage, they seem him/her going over. But there are so many screens that noone is watching every one all the time, particularly at night. EM

Considering the balconies are not really "private" and there are children on board most ships, I think it's better left to places that are more appropriate. Topless sundecks, nude beaches, etc. I've been on three cruises and on all three my balcony was visible to other balconies around me without much if any effort.

The balcony on the ship I was on last month was totally private (Zuiderdam), so I think that when that's the case, not to worry. I do agree that because nudity is such a profoundly taboo behavior in our culture (most unfortunately), it should be restricted to designated areas. Maybe one of these days we will evolve into a far less "body shame-based" society like many of our western counterparts and therefore let go of our of harsh judgments that condemn others who are different from us.

Throughout much of Eastern Europe, steam rooms and saunas are shared by both men and women sans clothing, and I found it refreshing and natural. But, I totally understand that our culture is not that way.