Nudity on the balcony... y or n?

gaubow

My first Balcony is december this year, I never thot about it, but go nude at home quite often. hhmmmmm.. great idea..

If being "caught" is going to embarrass you, no reason to do it. If not, go for it! Who cares...your cruise, your balcony.

On our first cruise the Sport deck was top optional. There were lots of us walking alot up there enjoying the Sun! On our PH Suite we are at the top of the group of balconies and our top is closed and the one's below are offset where we can look down but no one above us can look down. Seems to be the right place. The barriers between our Suite and the one next to us is metal and all the way out and down to the floor. You gotta really lean out to see around. Seems it was designed this way.

We cruised on the Freedom, and the balcony dividers are translucent. They are also easily peeked around. Little kids are notorious for being peeker-arounders, and their parents probably don't want them getting an eyeful.

I second the no-sun thing. Balconies are in shade most of the time. We didn't have a "suit optional" area on that ship either.

Cameras can be anywhere... I just figure "an hour to avoid tan lines, forever on YouTube." NOT worth it! :D

Your best bet if you like nude or seminude sunbathing is probably to find a clothing-optional beach at a port of call. :)

then I suggest the kiddies parents monitor their activities. I think you are safe sun bathing however you want just so long as you don't smoke a cigar. that will really cause folks to get their undies in a wedge. I would question why folks are leaning over or peeking around to see what someone else is doing on their balconey.

Edited by RockeyBullwinkle

then I suggest the kiddies parents monitor their activities. I think you are safe sun bathing however you want just so long as you don't smoke a cigar. that will really cause folks to get their undies in a wedge. I would question why folks are leaning over or peeking around to see what someone else is doing on their balconey.

You all realize you're responding to a thread thats more than 4 years old?

If the dividers are not transparent, and you cannot see onto anyone else's balcony, then nobody else can see onto yours. Sure they can look around the divider from next door if they try, but why would they try? The cameras outside the ship do look along the sides, so you would only be seen by the cameras if you leaned out over the rail, or were really close to the railing and somehow could be seen by the camera shot looking along the side of the ship.

I do agree, however, that you are not going to get tons of sun due to the cover from above in peak suntanning times.

You all realize you're responding to a thread thats more than 4 years old?

So, if the posters interested in this topic started a new one, that would be okay?

As long as the topic is the same, I can't see the difference it would make. Just check the dates and allow for the fact that in some specific situations, the information might be stale.

Like most complex question, that of nudity on the balcony bears (not bares) some thought before finding an answer.

The question of privacy needs to be dispensed with first: the ship's security video cameras are likely to catch much, if not most, of what goes on on your balcony. Many balconies are below ones which do not extend as far out, and are thus in full view from above. Then, with little effort your neighbors on either side can easily look in if they just happen to glance sidewise while taking in the view leaning on the rail. Conclusion: there is little rational expectation of privacy.

Now comes the question of reasonable deference to your neighbors: if you expose yourself you will be seen. Is that a kindness or a cruelty to your neighbors? If you have the rippling abs, toned body and sun-bronzed skin idealized in pop magazines, your nudity could be termed a courtesy to your neighbors. On the other hand, if you are similar to many of your fellow passengers in being overweight, flabby, bad-complexioned and perhaps balding, then a reasonable respect for the opinions of mankind would mandate clothing.

I am going on the Carnival Elation, It has an "adult deck" Is it okay to go topless on the adult deck? I would so go nude on my balcony but I dont have one... I say its your balcony your free to do as you will I sun tan naked in my back yard... Yes its not in public view but the mail man has pulled up once or twice, I have a towel next to me cover up and all is right in the world.. Kids need to be taught to mind their own business sometime in life!

even our grown kids call the house when planning to visit and we have installed a DOOR BELL on the gate to the house for when people are walking around back..read this SIGN... RING BELL, to enter NUDE POOL AREA

OH YA the villa on NCL STAR, oh my god what a great place to relax NUDE with as many friends as you wish....

Now comes the question of reasonable deference to your neighbors: if you expose yourself you will be seen. Is that a kindness or a cruelty to your neighbors? If you have the rippling abs, toned body and sun-bronzed skin idealized in pop magazines, your nudity could be termed a courtesy to your neighbors. On the other hand, if you are similar to many of your fellow passengers in being overweight, flabby, bad-complexioned and perhaps balding, then a reasonable respect for the opinions of mankind would mandate clothing.

Yep -- as I learned on my first trip to Orient Beach -- some things you just can't get off your retinas! :eek: ;)

Yes, this is an old thread but it certainly is humorous! We're taking our 3 & 5 year olds on their first cruise in July & we have a balcony cabin. While we will instruct our little dears not to "peek", they're children - if they peek and get an eyeful, they will certainly not be scarred (or surprised, probably). Actually, they'll probably want to know why they can't go nekkid, too! I say go for it! :D

Edited by sunshine252

The question of privacy needs to be dispensed with first: the ship's security video cameras are likely to catch much, if not most, of what goes on on your balcony.

I've heard this before. But where are those cameras? If your balcony is the same depth as the ones to the side and above, then surely a camera could only see in if it's on a long stalk sticking out from the side of the ship. Unless they have a camera on each balcony - surely not?

The cameras skim down the sides of the boat, like the rear-view mirrors on your car. They are designed to help crew see jumpers and objects/people falling from the ship. They couldn't POSSIBLY see into all the individual balconies.

As for nudity on balconies, I say if you're on your own balcony, and have a towel handy in case of visitors, go for it. Exceptions would be when there are lots of people hanging out above you, like departure times, but during quiet afternoons, enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...

On the Carnival Legend we had a HUGE wraparound balcony aft on the 8th level so we didn't have much cover over our balcony being lido was the next deck. Hubby totally sunbathed naked and I laughed hysterically waiting with camera for some poor soul to peek around or something. It unfortunately never happened.

Not really so. Someone who has over 70 years on the planet is very different when nude from someone who has 18 years. Time, in this context, is certainly relevant.

Unfortunately, there comes a time in everyone's life when gravity can have a detrimental effect on the human body. I think once you hit 70, you just don't care anymore (unless you're in show business).:rolleyes:

Most cabin balconies have metal rails with glass panels and there is an one to two inch gap between the divider partition and the glass panel. You can see the reflection of the balcony next door, and its occupants, on the glass. I am not advocating not going nude on the balcony, just to be aware that you may be seen so if you hear the balcony door open next door, you might want to cover up, or not, depending on your disposition.;)

Not really so. Someone who has over 70 years on the planet is very different when nude from someone who has 18 years. Time, in this context, is certainly relevant.

And the picture taken of the 70 YO when they were 18, IMHO, makes time irrelevent.