Nudity on the balcony... y or n?

gaubow

Cameras looking down the side of the ship are not going to look "into" the balcony (or cabin). They will see the balcony railing however. When you get aboard, stand in various spots on your balcony and look around...fore and aft. If you are in a spot and can NOT see other ship structure (bridge, etc), there is nothing that can see back into the place you are standing. Go for it!

People peeking around the dividers, etc., that's a different story!

See, this is what happens when cruise lines will not instigate a specific dress code for such an occasion!!!;)

Well, if my neighbours looked round and saw me in my nudieness, I am not sure who would be the most traumatised!!

However, the older I get the more I get to thinking about the importance of celebrating being alive and enjoying each day, (whilst not frightening the horses that is!! )

See, this is what happens when cruise lines will not instigate a specific dress code for such an occasion!!!;)

Well, if my neighbours looked round and saw me in my nudieness, I am not sure who would be the most traumatised!!

However, the older I get the more I get to thinking about the importance of celebrating being alive and enjoying each day, (whilst not frightening the horses that is!! )

To the best of my knowledge, there is no dress code for sitting on your balcony "au naturale". I think it's only human nature for some to be voyueristic. It's too bad that there are some people that can't respect another's privacy. And who knows? Maybe your neighbors want to be naked on their balcony too. While you can't expect full privacy on your balcony, it's not a bad idea to keep a towel handy for a quick cover-up. At least that way, no humans (or horses) would be frightened.:eek::D

Just like I would have answered 5 years ago,, my answer would have to be no. I rarely see a body on cruise ships that I'd want to see nekkid (including my own). So you can bet I won't be peering onto anyone else's balcony :eek:

I asked my husband this question (a man of few words) and he said "yes".

To those who think they will have privacy...I don't think so. The whole thing to me is kind of naive, kind of like thinking if you post provocative photos online and assuming they will be kept private. You just never know.

• 2 weeks later...

HA HA HA HA. You have my wife and I laughing out loud. I am 63 years old and I have no desire to ruin someone's eyesight or vacation by parading around a balcony without clothes. I've gotten great tans from just laying around the pool deck.

WOW a 4 plus old thread that got revived again. :p

[color="Red" Actually, I had never seen it until it surfaced recently, and you must admit that the "Nudity on the balcony" title is at least going to warrant a curious peek. :D

I guess the truth is that just about every topic has been discussed and pretty well beaten to death over the years. Think about it, another thread defining proper attire on formal night, smuggling liquor on board, smoking on balconies, noisy neighbors, pool chair hogs ?

To new cruisers, these may all be very interesting topics, but to experienced passengers it is "oh no, not again" [/color]

Better than someone's revelation that the fish was frozen....ya think ?

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious what the general feeling is about nude sunbathing, or just being naked on your own balcony while at sea... is that illegal or indecent? Is it just your balcony and you should be able to do what you want as long as it isn't disruptive to the neighbors?

And no, this doesn't apply to being in port... I just wonder if people can see into your balcony...

Thanks

Leaving on Freedom Sunday wahoooooooo!

people can see AND there are cameras pointed at the side of the ship.

The privacy thing doesn't bother me. If someone wants to peek around the divider to look at me, it's their own fault if their eyeballs start bleeding. But I won't be lying nekkid on my balcony for one reason only- some things just should never get sunburned. :eek:

Edited by mom says

You know I'm going to stop by this thread, and judging by the view count, I'm not the only one:D

Now, where do we collect our award for the "balcony club" when the cruise is over :confused:

DH and I are proud member's of the "balcony club" :p

(night time only)

Although there are cameras on the sides of the ship, they do not look directly into the balconies. That would be an invasion of privacy. So feel free to sit on the balcony in your birthday suit (necktie optional).:rolleyes::D

I'll use my Bow Tie as I did not bring a Necktie for my Tux!

Just curious what the general feeling is about nude sunbathing, or just being naked on your own balcony while at sea... is that illegal or indecent? Is it just your balcony and you should be able to do what you want as long as it isn't disruptive to the neighbors?

And no, this doesn't apply to being in port... I just wonder if people can see into your balcony...

Thanks

Leaving on Freedom Sunday wahoooooooo![/quot

FYI, I was reading an article this afternoon on a travel site, Smart Traveler titles 10 thing that Could get you thrown Just off a cruise ship. Item 8 was public nudity. Just something I read on the net this PM.

As I commented a while back:

"Cameras looking down the side of the ship are not going to look "into" the balcony (or cabin). They will see the balcony railing however. When you get aboard, stand in various spots on your balcony and look around...fore and aft. If you are in a spot and can NOT see other ship structure (bridge, etc), there is nothing that can see back into the place you are standing. Go for it!

People peeking around the dividers, etc., that's a different story!"

Interesting thread.

What I learned:

A few cruisers are logical - they can go out on the balcony and tell if it is adequately private or not (this seems very difficult for many others...sheesh)

Many cruisers seem to think whatever situation they had on their balcony will be the same for all other cruisers...not a very bright assessment. Almost certain to be wrong everytime.

Many cruisers seem perfectly happy to expect that their personal morals should be adopted by everyone else. Wow. Go back to the 1950's ok?

Some seem to believe that their balcony will be on camera. Maybe, but mostly I doubt it. Yes there are cameras that look along the sides of the ship but they do not look into most balconies. That would be a gross invasion of privacy and the cruise companies know it.

Many people seem to think that balcony behavior should be predicated on the possibility that your neighbors might peak. That's a sad attitude. Just like my room, if you peak in and you see stuff you do not want to see, you have no one to blame but yourself. Same goes for your kids. This assumes that the balcony is not generally visible from other places on the ship, obviously. I (like 99% here) would not be naked where I can be seen inappropriately. But I will be naked where I have a reasonable expectation of privacy. If you have to crane your head around the partition to see a balcony that looks exactly like yours then you are simply a peeping tom.

Many people seem to assume that those who want frisky behavior will not be subtle about it. This is far from the truth. I expect the vast majority of balcony play is done with appropriate caution. There is a vast difference between wild monkey s*x in the middle of the day and a quiet love fest in the wee hours with the lights out.

A minority here seem really uptight. You need to get out more... Yikes.

Thoughts:

Meet your neighbors. A quick howdy and you will have a good idea about the risk of inappropriate interactions. Plus, a smiling acquaintenship goes a long way to smoothing out any friction.

Your steward knows what you are doing. They probably know it before you do. I doubt it takes long before they can characterize every type of cruiser within one minute of meeting. But this is a good thing. You can ask them how private your balcony might be. They will not be offended. They see it every day.

Some simple and obvious logic and you are home free. Assess your privacy. Assess how dark it is at night. Be aware of your neighbors presence. Simply staying back from the outside edge might afford enough privacy. Listen for other people around you - if you can hear them, they can hear you... Etc. It's not rocket science.

Cheers

WOW a common sense post.

Interesting thread.

What I learned:

A few cruisers are logical - they can go out on the balcony and tell if it is adequately private or not (this seems very difficult for many others...sheesh)

Many cruisers seem to think whatever situation they had on their balcony will be the same for all other cruisers...not a very bright assessment. Almost certain to be wrong everytime.

Many cruisers seem perfectly happy to expect that their personal morals should be adopted by everyone else. Wow. Go back to the 1950's ok?

Some seem to believe that their balcony will be on camera. Maybe, but mostly I doubt it. Yes there are cameras that look along the sides of the ship but they do not look into most balconies. That would be a gross invasion of privacy and the cruise companies know it.

Many people seem to think that balcony behavior should be predicated on the possibility that your neighbors might peak. That's a sad attitude. Just like my room, if you peak in and you see stuff you do not want to see, you have no one to blame but yourself. Same goes for your kids. This assumes that the balcony is not generally visible from other places on the ship, obviously. I (like 99% here) would not be naked where I can be seen inappropriately. But I will be naked where I have a reasonable expectation of privacy. If you have to crane your head around the partition to see a balcony that looks exactly like yours then you are simply a peeping tom.

Many people seem to assume that those who want frisky behavior will not be subtle about it. This is far from the truth. I expect the vast majority of balcony play is done with appropriate caution. There is a vast difference between wild monkey s*x in the middle of the day and a quiet love fest in the wee hours with the lights out.

A minority here seem really uptight. You need to get out more... Yikes.

Thoughts:

Meet your neighbors. A quick howdy and you will have a good idea about the risk of inappropriate interactions. Plus, a smiling acquaintenship goes a long way to smoothing out any friction.

Your steward knows what you are doing. They probably know it before you do. I doubt it takes long before they can characterize every type of cruiser within one minute of meeting. But this is a good thing. You can ask them how private your balcony might be. They will not be offended. They see it every day.

Some simple and obvious logic and you are home free. Assess your privacy. Assess how dark it is at night. Be aware of your neighbors presence. Simply staying back from the outside edge might afford enough privacy. Listen for other people around you - if you can hear them, they can hear you... Etc. It's not rocket science.

Cheers

Like and best answer I've seen:)

The privacy thing doesn't bother me. If someone wants to peek around the divider to look at me, it's their own fault if their eyeballs start bleeding. But I won't be lying nekkid on my balcony for one reason only- some things just should never get sunburned. :eek:

Okay, this cracked me up. My husband always mentions me getting naked (while I'm changing into my nightgown) in front of the windows in our bedroom. We live in a cul-de-sac. There are 3 house that "could" look into my bedroom. In the summer the windows are open and the blinds are open to let the air in. He says "nice that you let the neighbors see you". I tell him that if they are THAT sick that they want to see this body naked.... well then they get what they deserve because, quite frankly, it scares the sh*t out of me when I look in the mirror.