Nudity on the balcony... y or n?

gaubow

I think that if someones child has a peek around the divider and is shocked by a nude body lounging next door that his or her parents should teach that child that there are consequences to behaving badly and invading the neighbours space.

On our last cruise, we caught the adults next door sneaking peeks around the divider a few times.

I hope they enjoyed the view.;)

There is no reason to expect privacy and it is rather exhibitionism to be nude on your veranda IMO

Certainly in port, people can see to your balcony.

While at sea, people above could look down for any number of innocent reasons and they don't need to see nude bodies IMO

Private space stops at the four walls of your cabin. ;)

On my last cruise, I could stand in the middle of my balcony and look aft and fully see six or seven balconies and partially see another dozen or so. I wasn't "peeking" or straining my neck to do so. I was in a "hump" cabin. Those I could see could also see me.

On my last cruise, I was talking with a woman who described many of her peers as being quite exhibitionistic in their display of fancy clothing and fancy jewelry (some real, some faux), and she found that kind of showy behavior to be much to her disliking, describing it as "ego on show", trying to create an image or impression that probably wasn't very authentic. When someone is nude, on the other hand, I thought to myself, they are about as vulnerable and real as it gets. I wonder why people are so seemingly shocked by seeing another person nude? Underneath all the layers we are pretty much the same. All that shame and taboo is what seems unnatural to me. IMO, IMHO

NO. That might lead to some other things.. you know.

Like what? Singing?

On my last cruise, I was talking with a woman who described many of her peers as being quite exhibitionistic in their display of fancy clothing and fancy jewelry (some real, some faux), and she found that kind of showy behavior to be much to her disliking, describing it as "ego on show", trying to create an image or impression that probably wasn't very authentic. When someone is nude, on the other hand, I thought to myself, they are about as vulnerable and real as it gets. I wonder why people are so seemingly shocked by seeing another person nude? Underneath all the layers we are pretty much the same. All that shame and taboo is what seems unnatural to me. IMO, IMHO

If you search these boards, you will find that many people are of the opinion that a person should not be nude outside of their bathroom or bedroom. Many people have probably never experienced going "skinny-dipping" or laying out in the sun to get a tan without tan lines, and probably never will. It's sad that so many people are so narrow-minded about nudity, and that so many have the misconception that if someone is nude, then he or she must be lascivious by nature. If you choose to be nude on your balcony, just keep in mind that you are not 100% secluded, and that at any given moment, someone could see you, and there's a high probability that they won't be open-minded about it.

So do people have wild monkey sex on the balconies?

i mean at night can anyone really see the balcony ( unless they peek over)

1) From what I've seen yes people do have wild monkey sex on their balcony, some as well have it late night on the upper non private decks too.

2) Yes you can be seen without "peeking over" they might not be right nextdoor but someone is always able to look down or to the side and see you with little to no effort.

Would you go out to a balcony in a hotel without any clothes? I suspect that might be some sort of misdeamnor crime>

Why would you go on a veranda unclothed on a cruise ship? Would it make a difference to you if there were children in abutting cabins?

Edited by sail7seas

Would you go out to a balcony in a hotel without any clothes? I suspect that might be some sort of misdeamnor crime>

Why would you go on a veranda unclothed on a cruise ship? Would it make a difference to you if there were children in abutting cabins?

Answer to 1st question: I have. It just depends on how the balcony is situated, and how much privacy there is.

Answer to 2nd question: Same as #1.

Answer to 3rd question: Of course.

• 2 weeks later...
Was standard practice on our Bare Necessities cruise back in Feb -09.........

Anyone on the balcony WITH clothes on was odd...........

Big difference between a naturalist charter and a regular public sailing in my opinion.

Methinks you mean naturists or nudists; however, I have no reason to think a naturalist would necessarily avoid a clothing optional cruise. :)

Yes sorry, my mistake. As soon as I posted that I was thinking I had used the wrong term, but never got back to editing.

Was standard practice on our Bare Necessities cruise back in Feb -09.........

Anyone on the balcony WITH clothes on was odd...........

Big difference between a naturalist charter and a regular public sailing in my opinion.

Yes. :)

There is no reason to expect privacy and it is rather exhibitionism to be nude on your veranda IMO

Certainly in port, people can see to your balcony.

While at sea, people above could look down for any number of innocent reasons and they don't need to see nude bodies IMO

Private space stops at the four walls of your cabin.

Please do not take your pants off in the public restrooms stalls, how can you "expect privacy" when there is clearly a space under the door where someone could peek in, and it is "rather exhibitionism" to be nude in public place.

Please do not take your pants off in the public restrooms stalls, how can you "expect privacy" when there is clearly a space under the door where someone could peek in, and it is "rather exhibitionism" to be nude in public place.

If I stand on my balcony near the end against the rail and look 90 degrees towards the adjacent balcony, I'm going to see about half of it. It's just basic trigonometry and physiology. Or are you suggesting that people should only stand in the middle of their balcony and look straight ahead.

I somehow fail to understand what danger/bad repercussion would result from a child seeing someone who was nude? Surely it is all in how the parent responds to it and what they say.

Nudity is natural and accepted in many if not most cultures outside the US. In Japan it is considered perfectly natural for families to all bathe together in the family bath au naturel, and they will do the same in a shared bath (onsen) in a Japanese-style lodging.

In Europe, it is acceptable at most beaches to go topless (for women) and to change clothes (e.g., out of swimsuit and into dry clothes) in full view of others on the beach.

In Israel last year, I visited the Dead Sea, stopping first at a kibbutz that featured hot mineral springs and mineral mud baths. In the hot bath inside (fed from the springs), I was the only person wearing a swimsuit. The area was separated by sexes, but young male children were perfectly welcome in the women's area. Neither of the two I saw seemed in the least upset or traumatized.....

While I am a modest type who would never consider it myself, I am perfectly fine if others want to be nude in a situation where it is appropriate. I would think a balcony that is semi-private is as good a place as any. And if I had a child who happened to see some nudity (as my own did in the course of our travels), I'd just explain to him or her that nudity is natural and there is nothing wrong with it at the appropriate time/place.

Parents have to teach their kids to not do that.

Unfortunately you are giving many parents too much credit. They are on vacation. My first cruise, but have been to Disney, Universal, etc, etc, etc. The parents are there on vacation, the kids can do what they want as long as they are not bothering the parents.

If I stand on my balcony near the end against the rail and look 90 degrees towards the adjacent balcony, I'm going to see about half of it. It's just basic trigonometry and physiology. Or are you suggesting that people should only stand in the middle of their balcony and look straight ahead.

I was just trying to make light of this whole thread. I will go nude on my balcony unless I can see into the adjacent balcony (into the area I will be sitting) by standing and even casually leaning over the rail. Oh, and never when kids are next door. I would never want anyone to have less use of their balcony, but I want full use of mine. I do not smoke and find I can not use my balcony many times because of smokers, but that is adifferent issue.

I was merely trying to make a joke about people leaning around the divider and complaining about the nude people and calling them exhibitionist. To me it seemed like peeking under the restroom stall and complaining about what you saw. I guess if I have to explain it ........

I somehow fail to understand what danger/bad repercussion would result from a child seeing someone who was nude? Surely it is all in how the parent responds to it and what they say.

Nudity is natural and accepted in many if not most cultures outside the US. In Japan it is considered perfectly natural for families to all bathe together in the family bath au naturel, and they will do the same in a shared bath (onsen) in a Japanese-style lodging.

In Europe, it is acceptable at most beaches to go topless (for women) and to change clothes (e.g., out of swimsuit and into dry clothes) in full view of others on the beach.

In Israel last year, I visited the Dead Sea, stopping first at a kibbutz that featured hot mineral springs and mineral mud baths. In the hot bath inside (fed from the springs), I was the only person wearing a swimsuit. The area was separated by sexes, but young male children were perfectly welcome in the women's area. Neither of the two I saw seemed in the least upset or traumatized.....

While I am a modest type who would never consider it myself, I am perfectly fine if others want to be nude in a situation where it is appropriate. I would think a balcony that is semi-private is as good a place as any. And if I had a child who happened to see some nudity (as my own did in the course of our travels), I'd just explain to him or her that nudity is natural and there is nothing wrong with it at the appropriate time/place.

Would you feel the same if your child was a 13 year old girl and your neighbors were male? (Or vice versa) Yes, it's natural, but not everyone wants to see their neighbors junk.

Would you feel the same if your child was a 13 year old girl and your neighbors were male? (Or vice versa) Yes, it's natural, but not everyone wants to see their neighbors junk.

Yes, I would absolutely feel the same (and I did when it was my 13 year old son and a topless female in Germany). What would be wrong about it? It's not as if he were purposely exposing himself for some prurient purpose.

If you don't want to see it, avert your eyes. It's not as if they were on your balcony.....

I find it kind of funny how we are all told by others on this board that what someone is wearing shouldn't impact our dining experience in the dining room (and if it does, we are "snobs"). But heaven help us if someone is without clothing on their balcony!

Edited by cruisemom42