Frozen butter?

jhayman

Frozen butter doesn't annoy me as much as cold bread being served at dinner. I like my rolls and bread, in general, to be a little warm..

But that is just a personal preference. It does not stop me from eating it though.. :(

I found this on Wikepedia :rolleyes: It sort of conforms to what my Mom always told me - that it was not proper to spread the butter on your bread diectly from the butter dish, you should put some on your bread plate and then butter the bread. I guess they're saying the notch helps pick up the pat of butter.

In addition, it is not "proper" to butter the whole piece of bread or roll to begin with. When served bread or a roll on a bread/butter plate; break the bread with your fingers into pieces small enough for one or two bites; butter a pulled apart piece and then eat it. Do not butter the entire roll or piece of bread at one time.;)

So.....if you're eating the bread in the proper way, frozen butter is not a problem.:p:D

So.....if you're eating the bread in the proper way, frozen butter is not a problem.:p:D

Well, that makes perfect sense! I always knew I was supposed to break it with my hands (rather than cut in half with knife) but I didn't know about the spreading. I'll never worry about frozen butter again. ;) Thank you.

In addition, it is not "proper" to butter the whole piece of bread or roll to begin with. When served bread or a roll on a bread/butter plate; break the bread with your fingers into pieces small enough for one or two bites; butter a pulled apart piece and then eat it. Do not butter the entire roll or piece of bread at one time.;)

Wow, you're right. Now no need to thaw that butter to spread it. Just put one whole pat of butter on a little piece of bread! I LIKE this idea! :p

CG

Wow.....lol....2 pages of info about frozen butter. I would rather have it frozen than melted and warm. Nothing like warm rolls and frozen butter to start dinner....I can taste those calories now. Oh, wait,......my cruise isnt for another month. I guess the butter has some time to thaw.

My DM taught us this when we where just kids. I still don't like the butter froze, but it isn't a problem when you know the proper way to eat your bread & butter.:D Even with pancakes I rather have soft refrigerated butter, not frozen.

A reason that butter is usally froze is so it won't pickup other flavors from a frig. Butter has a way of obsorbing other flavors from a frig very quickly.

Order escargot. If you don't like snails don't eat them. The melted butter is going to be much better than what you get in those little packages ;). We've had table mates actually order the escargot just for the butter for bread dipping.

How about asking for a serving of just the garlic butter rather than wasting the snails?:)

[quote name='iheartbda-']In addition, it is not "proper" to butter the whole piece of bread or roll to begin with. When served bread or a roll on a bread/butter plate; break the bread with your fingers into pieces small enough for one or two bites; butter a pulled apart piece and then eat it. Do not butter the entire roll or piece of bread at one time.;)

So.....if you're eating the bread in the proper way, frozen butter is not a problem.:p:D[/quote]

I don't know that this would work for us Southerns. We like the butter to melt on our bread or rolls and doing it that way just won't cut it, pardon the pun. 8-)

This reminds me of something my mother taught me growing up. That when you are dining out, and you drop a fork, knife, napkin, etc, you should never pick it up yourself. To her, it was even unheard of if you had to ask your waitstaff if they would replace the dropped item for you because they should be attentative enough to have noticed it and already be on their way over with a replacement. LOL.. now days it's hard enough to get them to notice you need more water or iced tea... Just shows how different things are today than when my mother was young.

That's why I plan to walk on the treadmill in the morning BEFORE breakfast. My shoes will get very hot inside, and once I put the butter in the shoe, it'll melt and I'll be in toast and butter heaven.

It's a pain when restaurants do clueless thingsl ike that. Usually I put the packets of butter under my hot coffee cup and that helps.

Or as NCL said, squeezing them in your hand works too.

I'll let you all know how the shoe method works out. If anyone wants to join me for breakfast just say so.

Archived